Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
U

• 

1 Message

Thu, Nov 26, 2020 12:50 PM

AT&T uses deceptive sales practices

In May 2019, I went into a AT&T store to upgrade 2 existing phones. Salesman tells about buy 1 get 1 offer with addition of another line. I explained I don't need another line. Salesman said don't worry it be just a phantom line/phone. So he assigned a number, and my wife and I received 2 new phones in our numbers. At home reviewing want is sent via email, I'll be charged monthly service for this phantom number with no phone. Called AT&T , they said return the phone, explain there was no phone, go back to store and cancel,  the associate would not cancel, said I'm not seeing it , that it is a great deal. After the round around, I decided just to add a real phone to that number. I go to another store and upgrade the phone that the children were sharing and got another to address that phantom line. So my wife and I both have the same phone which should be the one as installments and the other being reimbursed. The children's 2 phones are the same and are on installments of a lesser amount. The problem then became, they never attached my number with the new installment, was attached to new number, so when I did the children's and they had to attach an installment, they only do the one as the new number already had installments attached, so somehow the attached the installments to my mom's old phone which is an old Pantech flip phone and many years old. No one would correct the discrepancies. Now I need to cancel my moms phone, I have to pay off the remaining installments, and they can't still correct their error. Again a run a round explaining to numerous phone assistance , creating case no., after case number, I needed to cancel 2 phone lines out of the 7 I now have, one assistant couldn't understand how all this could happen . but until it could be resolved could make the to phones look like iPads so I would only be paying $10 instead of the $40 dollars a month. I can't believe this, I said no, the problem is clear, AT&T assistance create problem after problem, and I have been spending so much unnecessary time on phone, computer and stores to solve. They want and can change everything other then shifting over the installments to the right lines, their clerical error associated with their unethical sales practices. I spent a month with case no.'s which were closed without my contact, because the assistant wrote it up wrong, by the time I finally said just cancel , I'll pay the remaining balance of installments early, retro active the cancellation to the beginning of the case no's, since that's when I called to cancel and they haven't been in use, got boozled again. Almost 20 years with AT&T ,they thank me for my loyalty, I just want good, understanding, Common Sense Service. 

Responses

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

2 months ago

The “free” phone had to be on the new line. You can use the device however you want, but the installment plan had to be on that line. AT&T doesn’t give promotions to be nice; it’s to get more money. 

You should have followed the advice of the first rep you spoke with and returned the phone and canceled the line you didn’t want. Everything you’ve done since then has just dug the hole deeper and deeper. 

At this point your best bet it to cancel unwanted lines, period. You might have to pay off remaining installments and might lose credits associated with those, but paying for lines you don’t use is going to be more expensive than any credits you might receive. 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question