Cyber Monday: Get a FREE Samsung Galaxy S22 with eligible trade-in & Free Galaxy Buds2 - while supplies last!
Need help understanding your bill?
FrustratedUser123's profile

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Nov 24, 2022 3:58 PM

ATT Phone Trade in program and locked phone

I am not sure how AT&T customer care is so terrible. About 1.5 months back, I called up customer service to ask details about a trade in program to purchase a new IPhone (iphone 14 pro). At the time, I had asked if my new phone would be unlocked and I was told it would be. However, today, while I tried to add another SIM to use (a local SIM since I am travelling), I could not do that and that is when I learnt my phone is SIM locked. I called up customer care to resolve this issue and I was told I need to either wait 36 months till I finish paying the installments or pay the price of the phone (this does not make sense, because now I have lost my old phone to AT&T through trade in and I am paying full price for the phone, something which I could have done through the Apple website anyways). This is ridiculous. If I had known my phone would be locked, I would not have purchased my phone via AT&T at all. AT&T service has just been dissapointing and pathetic and now I am stuck with this service for 3 years. Good way to rope people in by providing misleading information. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this other than me waiting for 36 months or paying the full price of the phone?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

101.9K Messages

5 days ago

AT&T phones have always been locked until either the contract is complete or the phone has been paid off. It's always been this way this is nothing new. Once your credits start you can pay off the entire remaining installment balance and then unlock your phone. You will continue to get credits as long as you do not violate any of the other terms of the promotion.

So do NOT :

Upgrade your line before the 36 months

Cancel service

Port your phone number out which is the same as canceling service.

Suspend your phone line.

And do not risk changing your phone number either

• 

3 Messages

5 days ago

My problem is I was not told this and I ended up purchasing the phone. Had I known this, I would not have. I was misinformed which is frustrating. 

ACE - Sage

• 

101.9K Messages

4 days ago

I don't know who told you this, but from your original post it doesn't sound like they explained that your phone can be unlocked but only if you met the conditions I wrote. 

If you spoke to someone outside of the usa, they should be trained on AT&T policies, but that doesn't mean they are trained well. 

It's not the first time I've seen someone post here from ATT help Who provided incorrect information on long standing policies. 

• 

3 Messages

4 days ago

Thank you but this answer does not solve my problem and change my views about AT&T. I do not think I will recommend the service to anybody I know. Mis-communications like these have long standing effects at times, like in this case. I will continue with the service for as long as I can and then change my carrier. Not interested in being associated with AT&T for the long run with this lack of customer obsession

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.