Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
kgurciullo's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Monday, May 1st, 2023 7:03 AM

AT&T Phone Reps don't have to answer to AT&T so watch it!

I am a reliable, great-standing 25 year AT&T customer. If this can happen to me I wanted to warn everyone.

I called AT&T today to find out about having a hotspot. I have the "Unlimited and More" plan which evidentally does not allow for a hotspot.

A no big deal call and no big deal to rectify depending on how much I needed a hotspot, right? Two hours and 10-minutes later, had it actually

been REAL I MAY have found a way to justify but that IS a crazy amount of time to just pick/initiate a plan with a hotspot. First let me say that I am

not a gullible person at all but when this rep said "if you know anyone who wants to move to at&t and have the new iPhone 14 Pro free, I can give you a cheaper plan WITH a 15GB hot spot." My niece sitting next to me uses Verizon for her iPhone 12 and according to this reps calculations we would both save if I brought her onto my plan. I thought it was funny when he announced he'd wave the activation fee. We even laughed together when he next said he'd also waive "special for me" a fee minutes earlier he'd added for my niece so she could have a 3GB hotspot and suddenly she could now have 15GB included! I replied by telling him I hear the AT&T paper list of what to say to customers rustling lol yet I still (Edited per community guidelines)umed we were rounding the end and it would finally be completed. This rep added a new iPhone 14 and a new customer to his quota today BY upgrading me to a plan that was to cost me approx.$36 less a mnth and my niece $20 less plus she'd have a new phone! I repeated several times that I called to be able to use this new hotspot TODAY, in an hour actually once I was on location. And each time I was guaranteed Id be able to use this hotspot IN AN HOUR...and right after I agreed to one, two, three, four texts and emails with documents and uploaded my drivers license to make sure I am ME. He guaranteed the price and then said he needed $99.00 from my niece for some federal taxes AND needed her, while he holds, to call Verizon and pay off her phone for this trade-in and receive a transfer code. She did ALL that - I did ALL that even asking if I will need to restart my iPhone 13 max plus for my new hotspot to take affect? HIs reply was a resounding "No. It takes effect immediately without you needing to do anything." So here we were - 2 hours and 10 mins later, finally finished. We can finally head to our hotspot location. NO HOTSPOT on my phone. I restart. Nothing. I text 611 "hotspot" and receive "your plan does not allow for a hotspot." Must be a mistake I think so I go online trying both My AT&T app and via safari at att.com. I start chats with robots, I search every single place I can and all I DO see is ATT confirming my order for a phone and my nieces number being switched to them but nowhere through 22 different pages lists a plan change. Even a section I found that states your history of support calls coughs back "apology but at this time we can not access your support history"...hmmm THATS ironic. I had ZERO choice but to get another rep on the phone explaining all of this for her to reply back to us 3 times "The rep you spoke to did NOT make the changes that he told you he did but I looked at your plan and are you aware your plan will not give you a hotspot?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Seriously? I asked for a manager or supervisor or better yet please connect me to the REP and I gave her his employee ID number. That's when she says that although she see's "something" indicating a rep handled a phone order today, she doesn't know how to get in touch with the rep and neither does her manager! She checked with her manager coming back on to say there is NO WAY to hold any rep accountable but that she would send a message of FEEDBACK but she could LOOK in my account and "did I know I didn't have a plan allowing for a hotspot?" I am not kidding. I stand on location with no hot spot and all it would have taken IF this rep actually DID sign me up for the new plan was for him to tell me the hotspot would NOT be activated today. Since that is not how long I was told that it does take for a hotspot to activate or a new plan....that first rep did NOTHING but sing me up for another new phone to my account gaining at&t a new customer - and he will NEVER be held accountable. I asked the female rep I was now on with how I would ever be able to know that two hours with her being (Edited per community guidelines)igned a new plan was real either?? She says "because I will notate the account" - are you KIDDING ME? We asked her repeatedly to get management or anyone who was accountable for at&t customers and she said "he is busy"!!! Then we recited the prerecorded message you always hear with at& before getting on with a rep...you know it...." this call will be recorded for CUSTOMER SATISFACTION" - if you can't recall the employee at&t hired to make and seal deals then how about the recording I agreed to allow for those 2 hrs and 10 minutes? Then you can hear what this man sold and secured me right? Those recordings live in the same place at&t reps (and our deals) are....NOWHERE. Customer satisfaction purposes my (Edited per community guidelines)! That female rep at AT&T, after 40 minutes with her today finally said she would put her manager on with us....guess what happened then? 1-hour later while on hold as we pretended there WAS an accountable at&t manager, let alone that she went to get him and he'd make "real at&t deals"......you've likely guessed that we eventually got that hung up DIAL TONE. The rep who initially did this gave us the name of "CJ" and the employee ID # HF640Y on April 30th, 2023 and Id LOVE to show AT&T my phone records of todays 3 hour and 10 minute calls from the (Edited per community guidelines) hall of fame award winners "AT&T" who are the spirit airlines of cell sales. Since there is no other way TO make deals other than calling at&t beside going into at&t stores where 4 years ago a slightly similar story occurred at a legal authorized AT&T store where an hour later an at&t phone rep like today told us on the phone that there was also nothing they could do to follow up, even with the first and last name, address and number of the store! We obviously have to protect ourselves at this point - at&t have no ones back - check your bills, your orders an hour later and a week later and do what you can to protect yourself. AT&T are now a company placing people to make deals for them they don't know and can't hold accountable and then the employees also know nothing will or can happen to them. Maybe at&t have always been this way and I was NOT fully aware??!! Im posting here so someone else does know this (Edited per community guidelines) happens! Did I mention we received four emails from at&t with links for our NEW IPHONE purchase where each and every link worked perfectly to lead us to at&t.com - but the one "plan change" email which at&t sent us had a live link embedded in the words "click here for the changes to your plan"....was dead and led us to a blank black page, over and over again and on 4 different devices. Smooth at&t. Keep selling your new iPhone 14's for "free" but they are far from free and at&t is now even further from integrity.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

1 year ago

You could have saved yourself a lot of time and trouble if you just going to att.com and looked at the published plans and prices which include information on how much hotspot comes with each. You cannot add hotspot to your existing plan. That's never a thing. 

These are single line pricing. Average price per line decreases the more lines you have.  

The current phone offer is the trade-in deal. No such offer of a free iPhone 14 pro just for becoming a new customer on an existing plan.  

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

1 year ago

It’s sad AT&T that when calling your company, the first response which is true is that the internet is the better choice.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

1 year ago

AT&T sales representatives are just that, sales. And that's how they keep their job. If you don't like suggestive selling which is what happened to you, know what you want to buy before you get on the phone.

What you did is no different from me walking into Best buy and say I need something that will do calculations.  What I want is a calculator but what they will sell me is a computer Because there's a bigger commission involved. 

It makes a whole lot more sense to know what products are available to you, which you did not do.

Simply put if you are on a plan that does not offer a feature that you want or need, you are forced to switch to a different plan. The unlimited and more plan dates back to 2017 or 2018 I think. Since plans change every 18 months or so, that plan is no longer available.

As soon as there was a discussion of free phones and additional lines you should have hung up because that's not what you called for. It's not going to lower your bill and has nothing whatsoever to do with adding a service feature to your existing plan. Whoever you spoke to knew that you did not know what you were doing.  And it's the same thing with all the other service providers as well. They all are suffering from losses and all pushing their employees to suggestive sell.  

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

1 year ago

I agree with you 100%. I failed in not knowing the plan that could give me a hotspot ahead of time. I did not know there’s a term for it and I am happy to know it’s called something- ie: suggestive sales! I am still gobsmacked major companies don’t secure their sales people’s words and that’s somehow “okay” and now because there’s a word for it, we should expect it. But I get everything you said.

The new iPhone 14 pro arrived today. It will remain unopened and the plan was to send it back. Even after Sundays call and my niece calling yesterday for an hour where a new rep once again said that “the plan” Sundays rep “said” he’d put us on but didn’t, doesn’t exist….at one point on Sunday night at&ts  automated system set me up with a call back Tuesday- today that I had forgotten about. This rep Steve Marrs confirmed that I either return the phone unboxed (or they charge an unboxing fee lol) and I’d just stay on my unlimited and more plan and forget the whole thing. OR…. (lol) now that I DO know “a” plan Sundays rep MIGHT have been referring to, if we can figure out WHY it didn’t happen after two hours we can look at what COULD work. I had 45 minutes before my next meeting so I asked him if he did find something workable how would he ever be able to gaurentee it will happen, at a price he quotes, without effecting my cable bundle. He said I can’t but I’m willing to at least look to try to figure out what that rep was going for. So for 45 minutes here’s what was found by Steve at AT&T:

If the trade in of my nieces phone had been $239.00 or more it would have been &1,000 off the iPhone pro. Where that initial rep screwed me is when he saw, and he would have seen it then and there, my nieces trade in value came back at $230.00 instead had he just told us that now the discount for the new phone is instead $700.00- another wards NOT FREE but also only around $300 she could pay over 36 months and okay with no early trade in and seeing that to the end of the 36 months- my niece could get this new phone joining my plan paying $8.33 for the phone a month. Had he told us the phones $9 shy for the $1,000, when he went to switch my plan he would see we have to just trust AT&T reps by activating the phone when it arrives and switching plans to the unlimited extra. He did none of that and likely didn’t switch my plan because a warning also came up for Steve today saying to check the bundle $20 off with uverse first to make sure it doesn’t mess up my Internet discount by doing this.
so now I need to check with anyone who sees this post if what Steve is suggesting I call back and do is even real?

- I call and confirm with uverse my discount remains if I switch cause of the warning Steve already got. If it will remain….

- call another rep and switch my plan to unlimited extra (15gb hotspot each, add a line since transfer codes done when ordering the phone sunday, and with two lines it would cost about $63.00 each for just the plan. I now pay $76.00 on the unlimited more plan. 
- I will pay more that my niece because I am on the next plan paying $35/mnth, $5 monthly early upgrade, $20 Internet. And obviously not including taxes. If I pay $147.00 now for that the new total to change plans and add a second phone would be around $212.00 a month. With my niece paying me her $63.00 plus $8.33 for the new phone and around $7 in tax ($80 approx.), what’s left for me to pay would be $132.00: $15.00 less than I pay now at $147.00.

IS THIS NOT REAL?????

This is the option if I keep this phone arriving today.

or

send it back forgetting adding my niece all together, I can still upgrade to the unlimited extra plan just for me and get 15gb hotspot paying for ONE phone line the same or close to what I strictly pay for my phone plan now-$76.00 - leaving out next payment and internet of course.

WHATS REAL? WHAT CAN WORK FROM THIS OR IS THIS (Edited per community guidelines) TOO????

thank you. 

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.