Uniquely for you. Order the new Google Pixel 6, now!
Boilerette72's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Jun 11, 2015 8:03 PM

AT&T Next and MSV plans

I'm now off contract and I'm eligible for a new phone.

I understand that the installments on paying for the phone (which in the end will be $750 for a $299 phone) can be made up for by the reduction in my MSV plan.

however... here's the catch... I already get a $15 a month discount because I must be grandfathered in or something.

Can someone help me understand why I should pay $750 for a $300 iPhone?  (Really thinking about just buying the subsidized phone).

(What really SUCKS is AT&T doesn't let Apple sell the phone directly for $300, only the Next plan.  Been saving up apple store gift cards for 2 years to buy this phone which I now can't use.)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.5K Messages

6 y ago

Check the apple web site. The iPhone is not $300.

No matter which way you buy the phone, you will pay the full retail price.
We have ALWAYS paid full price for our phones. 18 months ago ATT stopped hiding the cost in the 2 year subsidy plans.

Either, Next installments, which is a no interest loan for the retail cost divided into payments.

Or a $300 deposit, 40 upgrade fee and lose the discount on your line to pay off the rest over 2 years. 2 year subsidy plans also pay communication tax on the entire bill. There is no communication tax on the next installments added to your bill. (You do pay state sales tax up front)
kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

6 y ago

If you are only getting the $15 discount, it is a little cheaper in the long run to get the subsidized phone and pay the extra $15 for 24 months ($360) + the $40 activation fee + the subsidized phone cost if you do the math.

It is rumored that AT&T will be doing away with subsidized phones. Apple, Best Buy, Walmart and those type sellers already can't do subsidized pricing, only NEXT or full price.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.