Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Help for account, billing & more
bimmer2180's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Mon, May 1, 2017 5:37 PM

AT&T is holding my number hostage: AT&T will not let my number move to Verizon

I have been a very loyal cellular customer with AT&T since 2003 along with the rest of my family.  The other 3 members on my plan have no issue moving their numbers but for my number AT&T will not release the license.  I am being told the number is unlocked and can be ported... but they won't let it move because they still hold the license to that number?!?!  How can a number be ported if you won't release the license?!?!  This is ridiculous and we have spent 3 weeks working on trying to get this resolved. Unfortunately this is yet another reason why we are wanting to leave AT&T  but they are holding me hostage!   Any help in getting this resolved would be great before i start reaching out to the governing bodies around telecom to point out this unfair practice of holding their clients hostage

jt212s

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

5 y مضت

Hi @bimmer2180,

What do you mean by "holding the license"?

What carrier are you trying to port to?

You are talking about a wireless number with AT&T, correct?

What does the receiving carrier say about the port?

Is your AT&T service still currently active? To port out your service must be active, not suspended or cancelled.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

What do you mean by "holding the license"?  AT&T is saying Verizon is not authorized to port my specific phone number.  AT&T is telling us that the number is mine, but i can't take it to Verizon due to Verizon not having a license to own that number.  Thus they cannot port it.

What carrier are you trying to port to?Verizon

You are talking about a wireless number with AT&T, correct? Yes this is a wireless number.

What does the receiving carrier say about the port?  They can't port because AT&T will not let them license the number.

Is your AT&T service still currently active? To port out your service must be active, not suspended or cancelled.  Yes, it is active and we paid the ETF as well.  After the two week time period Verizon was notified that the phone was unlocked and they can port the numbers from AT&T.  Unfortunately at that time is when Verizon found that all the numbers would port but mine.  AT&T states that it is a very old wireless number and is not covered under the federal ruling that allows numbers to be ported.  

This is my last ditch effort to resolve this before I start going to my congressman.  I am actually an executive with a telecom company and have never had an issue like this pop up since the ruling allowing all numbers to be ported.

Thanks

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

5 y مضت

@bimmer2180 wrote

Yes, it is active and we paid the ETF as well.

I'm not sure how it's active if you paid the ETF, the T stand for TERMINATION. That sounds inactive to me.

AT&T states that it is a very old wireless number and is not covered under the federal ruling that allows numbers to be ported.  

I've never heard anything like this.

You'd probably do better with your telecom contacts, than with a congressman (unless they hack on the sides).

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

5 y مضت

Yes, it is active and we paid the ETF as well.  After the two week time period Verizon was notified that the phone was unlocked and they can port the numbers from AT&T.  Unfortunately at that time is when Verizon found that all the numbers would port but mine.  AT&T states that it is a very old wireless number and is not covered under the federal ruling that allows numbers to be ported.  

This paragraph is confusing. How did you pay a termination fee if you didn't terminate service? 

The phone being unlocked has nothing to do with the number being ported, and Verizon wouldn't be notified the phone was unlocked. 

Verizon should be dealing with the porting issues since that is the company wanting to port the number. If it is unable to port the number it sounds like you will have to stay with AT&T, change your phone number, or check to see if another carrier has a different result when attempting to port. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

I paid the ETF and they would not release the number license after the two weeks had passed.  I have since had to get the amount refunded by att which they have said can take up to a month.

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

5 y مضت

@bimmer2180Was your number with at&t canceled?

ACE - Sage

• 

100.2K Messages

5 y مضت

@bimmer2180

The reason there is puzzled responses.  

You don't get an ETF posted to pay, unless you cancel service.

If you cancel the number no longer exists and cannot be ported.

Is it possible you canceled your line, putting your number into "the pool". This means the number is in limbo.  The only way to get the number back, is reactivated your ATT account with the number.  

Then, once the number is active again, it can be ported to Verizon.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y مضت

No, we couldn't port the number so service was continued and is still active with AT&T.

The issue is around the phone number not being released to Verizon.  This number is a number that has been active since 2003 with AT&T and the have stated the number can be ported, but they can't release it to Verizon due to AT&T holding the license rights to the number.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

5 y مضت

@bimmer2180 Send a detailed message with your account and contact information to @ATTMobilityCare and see if they can help (or understand)...

ACE - Sage

• 

100.2K Messages

5 y مضت

@bimmer2180 wrote:

No, we couldn't port the number so service was continued and is still active with AT&T.

Sorry, just to confirm.  Can you still use your att service?  If you cannot, then you have canceled the line and that is why it won't port.  

If that isn't the problem, and @ATTMobilityCare can't sort it out, then file an FCC complaint for non compliance with WLNP requirements for number portability.   Might be worth mentioning that to Mobility. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y مضت

Was this issue ever resolved?  I am having the same problem - AT&T will not release my number to be ported to Verizon.  Very frustrating, I've had the number since 2005 and do not want to be forced to get a new number!  I've contacted AT&T and they denied that my number was being held hostage.

ACE - Sage

• 

100.2K Messages

3 y مضت

@Sunni051212 wrote:

Was this issue ever resolved?  I am having the same problem - AT&T will not release my number to be ported to Verizon.  Very frustrating, I've had the number since 2005 and do not want to be forced to get a new number!  I've contacted AT&T and they denied that my number was being held hostage.

So why do you think they are holding it hostage?

In order to port your number you need the account number, the security pin code, and your service has to be active.

Very few numbers are old regional and can’t be ported, but according to your post, that’s not the problem.  

• 

1 Message

2 y مضت

similar issue here. I wanted to move my number to a ATT prepaid from a ATT post paid plan. they said NO because its already an ATT number, ok then I attempted to port it to a Verizon prepay but it wouldn't port. I was able to get the (crappy) prepay ATT but not the one I wanted. after a month on the (crappy) prepay ATT plan, the number still wont port to either Verizon or the better prepay ATT plan????

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.8K Messages

2 y مضت

@pffichte Don’t know which prepaid plan you want but the multi month plans and $25 autopay discount on unlimited plus are for new lines only, not existing lines. If you could successfully port your number, you could get those plans if you port back. What reason does Verizon give you for not being able to port? Whatever the reason, it’s not ATT blocking it. They can’t. 

• 

1 Message

2 y مضت

Just adding two cents to five years worth of comments here.

There are regions within the US where only one or two carriers are allowed to hold ranges of phone numbers. To give you an example, in the northeastern corner of Utah, only Uintah Basin telephone company and AT&T can issue numbers there. Before AT&T was forced to buy into the region, Alltel was the other company there. Verizon was barred from that region of the state, and could not keep that part of Alltel when they bought that company. You cannot port a Unitah or AT&T number issued in that region to any other company, including Verizon or T-Mobile.

This system is a throwback to the days when the government broke up the original AT&T, plus some anti-monopoly measures the FCC put into place while wireless was developing. There are pockets like this all over the country. Alaska used to be one of the most difficult to port in and out of. 

If you've come across this page because your carrier days you can't port, or something like the original post about "holding licenses" or whatnot, this is likely the issue. You need to check online with the carrier you wish to go to. Google LNP and that carrier. LNP is local number portability, pertaining to the ability to move our number. YES, you own the number, but NO, not every number can be ported. Ask the right questions with your carrier when you run into this issue, such as "do I live in an area where my number cannot be ported to every carrier in the US?"

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.