Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Tuesday, May 17th, 2016 7:28 PM

AT&T does not honor its promotional BOGO offer.

Mid december 2015 i was given a promotional BOGO offer by customer retention team.
I was told that they will be charging for both the lines for 3 months and on 4th month i'll get the credit and later on it will be just one phone charge.
It NEVER happened and as of now i have called them 14 times since March 2016 but no resolution....
Their argument is that this offer was only for the new customer or if you upgrade your line and i did neither.
My question is that if i was not eligible how come they offered me this promotion at first place???i originally had no idea about this promotion and never asked for any promotions but rather ATT rep. gave me this offer upfront when i called them in dec 2015.

If this was a mistake from their side why should i pay for their mistakes...ATT makes the terms/conditions ....ATT gives the offer and later ATT denies the same offer...how silly is that.....

I had better offer from T-Mobile but since i was given this offer i decided to stick with ATT and this was biggest mistake of my life...they are the liars and cheaters...i dont know where to escalate this issue.......

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I believe you are very wrong. I was sold the BOGO offer. That is what was offered to me, and I excepted. AT&T is now trying to force me to accept something other than that, which is of inferior value. I would not have bought the phones if it were not for the BOGO offer, and would not have added an additional line. In addition, they were the ones that discounted the phones in order to apparently disqualify them. And discounting a supposedly free phone has no purpose at all, and makes no sense, other than perhaps to disqualify. Also, the $2/month saving on the other phone has little value to me as compared to $18+/month that I am losing, and this of course is the inferior value part that I am actually being forced or trying to be forced to accept. And also, to advise me of their intent to not honor their offer after assuring me that I would be and should be receiving the credit for the past five months, is certainly behavior no one can justify. There is just no excuse, and to suggest that I just pay for a phone and the cost of the additional line is absolute nonsense. It just strengthens my resolve as I hope it does others who find themselves in a similar situation. And with regard to trying to understand or trying to define the problem, this has much more to do with offer and acceptance, and the basics of contract law. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

@sosadaaty   Wrong about what?   Why you aren't getting the BOGO?  I am absolutely correct as to why you are not getting the Bogo credits.   

The Bogo is not a "sign up" or a program.  It's like a 2 for one sale at the grocery store.  The computer system checks for qualifying phones, on a qualifying Next plan and a new line of service.  When looking for these requirements on your account, it found zero.  Not a qualifying "buy one" or a qualifying "get one".  Because one of the qualifiers is the phones each had to have a cost over $585.  

Wrong about the employee screwing you over, nope, he did.

Was it on purpose?  I don't think so, there was nothing in it for him.  But it was stupid, and I have no clue how to fix it.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sosadaaty And to expand on @lizdance40 example, if someone at the grocery store tells you it qualifies for 2 for 1 and it doesn't ring up because it's wrong, it doesn't ring up then it doesn't count.  But if it's posted in writing on the sale item, they'll generally take care of you (at least that's my experience in many stores).

The difference if you don't catch it at the grocery store at the register, it's probably only a few dollars and not a huge deal. Or  if you do notice you can choose to not buy the items.

At the AT&T store with these offers, it's $650! It really seems like this would be worth checking out and reading the terms yourself. 

It doesn't matter if the person gave you wrong info on purpose, a mistake or they're just not too bright. For $650 it really seems worth checking the info out for yourself.

People seem to get pretty upset when they don't get the $650, but otherwise they're pretty nonchalant about making sure the details fit beforehand. We're talking two to three minutes to check this and (assuming you have a smartphone) you can even do it in the store.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

The wrong had to do with sale tactics, and how I'm being pressured into acceptng a deal/offer which is of lesser value than the one that I was originally offered, And yes, I do understand why the bogo offer is apparently being disallowed. It was an error (whether intentional or not) made by the sales rep, and ironically the reason for the disabling discount was supposed to be for the purpose of customer loyalty/retention. AT&T is simply refusing to correct their error, and I have given them ample opprotunity to do so. Also, the grocery store analogies may be a bit of an over-simplification and off point. As I said previously, this has much more to do with offer and acceptance, and the basics of contract law. And as a final note, the primary reason why I originally added to this posting was to share may experience with others after happening to read about their own. If a viable solution would happen to surface that sure would be nice, but not my expectation. The pattern/problem seems to be obviously clear. Not all these folks are working the system, or not doing a reasonable amount of due diligence prior to accepting the offer.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sosadaaty wrote:

Also, the grocery store analogies may be a bit of an over-simplification and off point.

Or it may not. It's hard make a perfectly identical analogy and if it's too identical, it doesn't make much of a point. You're saying you didn't get the point of what were were saying.

The pattern/problem seems to be obviously clear. Not all these folks are working the system, or not doing a reasonable amount of due diligence prior to accepting the offer.

Generally zero due diligence.  It really only takes a few minutes. And if it was overly complicated, they'd know not to do it until they check it out further.

Some people's examples are "I asked the salesperson four times!" with the implication being the that they quadruple-checked.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

All requirements have to be met, to the letter. The BOGO plan terms were posted online, available for all to view. This is why due diligence on behalf of the end user is critical and important.

If the phones purchased were less than $585 than whatever a sales rep said is invalidated and won't apply because the terms of the BOGO, which were available for everyone to view, were not followed.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

"You're saying you didn't get the point of what were were saying." ...  no as I said off point, or not applicable.

"Generally zero due diligence..."  This is a general assumption that doesn't apply to me. So not sure now it helps. And due diligence of course is a measure of what is reasonable.

And regarding a later post... "than whatever a sales rep said is invalidated and won't apply"... this is certainly inaccurate. Sales reps are representatives of the company, and the company is responsible and liable for what it that they say, or do, or errors that they may make, especially when representing the company in a sales capacity. It they extend or modify an offer, if accepted, it is binding. Seems to be an evident lack of sales training. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

@sosadaaty

The point we are making Is cover your own butt.  Most of ATT employees are great, well trained, nice and honest people.  But it's very apparent there are some lemons out there.  Why play roulette with a service that costs as much as a car payment?    It doesn't stop with ATT, I've seen identicle posts on Verizon.  (Heaven knows they have to run the same promotions).  

My first day in an ATT store to port over, I got the newb.  If I hadn't been prepared I might have been a very unhappy puppy.  

I dont like the high price of ATT phones, so I won't buy phones from ATT.   Sort of picked my battle.

As for ATT honoring a deal that has no proof but your word, they just won't.  This isn't a handshake business.  

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

No it's not binding. There is absolutely no such thing as a verbal agreement or contract. This does not exist.

The fact of the matter is this. The terms, conditions and requirements of the BOGO offer are readily available for all customers to view BEFORE they sign anything. It is up to the end user to ensure all requirements are met.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sosadaaty wrote:

"Generally zero due diligence..."  This is a general assumption that doesn't apply to me. So not sure now it helps. And due diligence of course is a measure of what is reasonable.

I believe I made it clear it was "general".

Clearly reading the terms of the offer would clearly be reasonable (in general). I can show you many many many complaints that would have gone another way had they read the offer. 

Again, I'm just talking minutes to check, I see people spend more time than that on a menu at a restaurant that they've eaten at many times and that's just a ninety minute commitment (I'd even go 12 hour commitment if you wanted to say that commitment lasts until the next meal) but clearly disproportional compared to a 2 year (30 month?) commitment with $650 on the line (in general). 

Sales reps are representatives of the company, and the company is responsible and liable for what it that they say, or do, or errors that they may make, especially when representing the company in a sales capacity. It they extend or modify an offer, if accepted, it is binding.

So you say, but how's that working out? 

Seems to be an evident lack of sales training. 

I suppose. But again it's a lot (not just that sentence) of criticism of the sales person who has nothing invested in the long run, and generally implies no responsibility for the customer who does have long term concerns in the matter. 

Customers are should be representatives of their own interests. If they come here and ask, we spend more than an equivalent few minutes explaining / answering. We really prefer before and not after...  (It takes WAY more time after!)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.