A
Anonymous
20th Community Anniversary
Mission control approves!
Helpful 2

• 

25.7K Messages

Tuesday, May 17th, 2016 7:28 PM

AT&T does not honor its promotional BOGO offer.

Mid december 2015 i was given a promotional BOGO offer by customer retention team.
I was told that they will be charging for both the lines for 3 months and on 4th month i'll get the credit and later on it will be just one phone charge.
It NEVER happened and as of now i have called them 14 times since March 2016 but no resolution....
Their argument is that this offer was only for the new customer or if you upgrade your line and i did neither.
My question is that if i was not eligible how come they offered me this promotion at first place???i originally had no idea about this promotion and never asked for any promotions but rather ATT rep. gave me this offer upfront when i called them in dec 2015.

If this was a mistake from their side why should i pay for their mistakes...ATT makes the terms/conditions ....ATT gives the offer and later ATT denies the same offer...how silly is that.....

I had better offer from T-Mobile but since i was given this offer i decided to stick with ATT and this was biggest mistake of my life...they are the liars and cheaters...i dont know where to escalate this issue.......

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Some of the experts don't know what they are talking about. I have pulled this directly from AT&T terms...

"FREE SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 OFFER: Port­-in: from eligible mobility carriers (excludes Cricket & select others) only. Must buy elig. device w/ in 7 days of port. Elig. Device: New Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge, S7 active & Note7 on 0% APR AT&T Next (30­mo.) or AT&T Next Every Year (24­mo.) installment agmt. $0 down for well­qualified credit or down payment may be req'd. Retail price is divided into monthly installments. Tax on full retail price due at sale. After all credits, get Galaxy S7 priced $695 ($23.17 or $28.96/mo.) for free. May apply max credit towards other eligible devices priced up to $880, which will be discounted but not free."

I hate that some "experts" get on here blaming the customer instead of considering that AT&T may have just screwed up. Lean 6 Sigma, quality assurance, etc. wouldn't exist if business was perfect! I qualify for all of this and they STILL got it wrong. This is not the first time and probably won't be the last time due to reps lacking training experience. I am very persistant so I won't stop until it is resolved and I have meticulously documented everything. I wish you all good luck!

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Dmjackson18 wrote:

Some of the experts don't know what they are talking about. I have pulled this directly from AT&T terms...

"FREE SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 OFFER: Port­-in: from eligible mobility carriers (excludes Cricket & select others) only. Must buy elig. device w/ in 7 days of port. Elig. Device: New Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge, S7 active & Note7 on 0% APR AT&T Next (30­mo.) or AT&T Next Every Year (24­mo.) installment agmt. $0 down for well­qualified credit or down payment may be req'd. Retail price is divided into monthly installments. Tax on full retail price due at sale. After all credits, get Galaxy S7 priced $695 ($23.17 or $28.96/mo.) for free. May apply max credit towards other eligible devices priced up to $880, which will be discounted but not free."

It seems you're posting the terms to dispute something else said in the forums BUT it's not clear what you are disagreeing with. Also, the offer appears to be missing the dates.

I hate that some "experts" get on here blaming the customer instead of considering that AT&T may have just screwed up. Lean 6 Sigma, quality assurance, etc. wouldn't exist if business was perfect! I qualify for all of this and they STILL got it wrong. This is not the first time and probably won't be the last time due to reps lacking training experience. I am very persistant so I won't stop until it is resolved and I have meticulously documented everything. I wish you all good luck!

People pretty much ask the exact same questions every time someone posts. The terms aren't a secret, it's where the questions come from.

I'd guess that 80% of the time the problem is found, no point in asking why if they know why. Once they know why they can try to get it fixed. 

If no problem we tell them to contact AT&T and let us know how it goes.

IF you would like some assistance, there are some questions we need answers to:

1. What kind of phones were EACH of them? (2 answers)
2. Have your been late for any of your payments?
3. How many new lines at AT&T did you add at the time of purchase?
4. What date did you purchase EACH phone?
5. Specifically, which Next plans were EACH of the phones on? You can check the # of payments on the bill for this.

6. Who did you port in from? 

ACE - Sage

• 

105.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Dmjackson18 wrote:

@Dmjackson18  

What carrier did you port from?  

The example you posted is not a BOGO offer.  It mentions the Note 7, so it's old.  It looks like the Direct TV/switch to Wireless offer given with the iPhone 7. 

Sure ATT or an employee or retailer makes mistakes.  And so do customers.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Same,thing happened to me. And they have an A+ rating on the BBB. Everyone needs to report this to the BBB. They should not have an A+ rating

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

File BBB complaint they should not have an A+ rating for their BOGO scam

ACE - Sage

• 

105.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Tracymonarch wrote:
Same,thing happened to me. And they have an A+ rating on the BBB. Everyone needs to report this to the BBB. They should not have an A+ rating

In order to ding that rating, customers need to have a valid complaint or an unresolved complaint.  ATT has 2 responses, either they say, we messed up and they make good, or they present BBB with the proof the Terms of a promotion were not followed.   This is why we encourage people to try resolving with ATT if they did not qualify for the promotion in some way. 

It is why we ask all the annoying questions and get frustrated when people just respond, "they said I qualify and would the credits...".   If the credits aren't coming, something is wrong and  passing the buck is not cool, but they do it.

If you want help, we are happy to go through the promotion and tell you where it went wrong and then refer you to support that actually fixes stuff.  Until you can point to the screw up, they may continue to ignore it.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

After spending the last 5 months, trying to resolve the same "buy one get one" issue with att, I finally took to the internet and am shocked by what I discovered and the extent of the damage that has occurred. And to read what is being written in an attempt to justify att's behavior regarding this matter is just so disturbing to say the least. I too decided to take advantage of the buy one get one free offer last August by adding a line to my plan, fulfilling all the requirements. And now the way they seem to be scammed me, or at least what they are suggesting, is that because the phone sales rep also offered me a customer loyalty discounted price on the phones, that supposedly disqualified the buy one get one free installment credit on the account. Absolute nonsense. I simply very clearly accepted their offer, being assured that I fulfilled all the requirements, and now they simply are trying to not fulfill and honor their part of the agreement. Even if the rep did make a mistake, I even offered to return the phones and terminate the new line, of course expecting credits for what I have paid, since they are refusing to honor their own offer/agreement. After being a "loyal" customer of att for about 2 decades, paying hundreds of dollars a month, for now six lines and phones, I am just so utterly shocked by the way I have been treated when calling-in trying to resolve this matter. For months I was assured that the credit would be applied, only now being told of their supposed mistake, being consistently lied to, being told I would receive call backs from supervisors or managers who never call, being transferred to agents who claim to be managers or supervisors, who then claim to have no authority to address or resolve the matter, while saying that they are unable to connect me with the original department who sold me the offer. I do though at times sympathize with some of the few good-hearted agents on the phone when it becomes very apparent that they are being abandoned and trained to discourage rather than truly help. And as a final note, back in August because all my previous phones were paid for, I was deciding whether to continue with att as a service provider. Well, I decided to stay, based on the loyalty and promotional offers, which were offered to retain my account, but of course now it is very evident that I am a victim of a bait and switch sales tactic. And conveniently enough, the switch is occurring 5 months after the fact, and of course now they are beginning to suggest that termination fees will apply if I chose to cancel my account. I guess that is the hook after the bait and switch. So pathetic for a company of att's caliber to resort to such tactics, and I can only hope that all who have been effected in a similar way do not become discouraged. I myself will continue to make a call on a daily basis until someone there comes to their senses. 

ACE - Sage

• 

105.5K Messages

6 years ago

@sosadaaty

Would you explain what you mean by "loyalty discount on the phones".  How much did you pay?

Were the phones put on Next installments?  

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Well first of all, like I said, I’ve been an att customer for over 20 years or so, and all my phones were paid for at this particular time, so it happened to be a good time to shop deals or perhaps alternative service providers prior to beginning to upgrade many of my iphone4s’s on my family plan. Takes time of course so I was dragging my feet a little, but one day I saw this BOGO offer and thought, wow not bad, so I called. And of course it is then that you begin to sort through the fine print, only to find out or confirm that the objective of most of these deals is to attract new customers or add new lines of service. Not that shocking, but still as an existing customer, and loyal as I happen to say, you certainly become a little disturbed and wonder why there are no incentives or discounts being offered or advertised to retain the customers like us. But as it turns out, what you tend to find out if you happen to ask, is that there are apparently such discounts available, “customer loyalty” in the words of the sales rep, although not advertised or seeming disclosed anywhere that I could find. So the sales pitch that was offered to me, even though I wasn’t too pleased about having to add a new phone line of service, was first the BOGO for the two iphone6s, adding a new line of service (which I did and have been paying for), and as an incentive (customer loyalty), the installment price on each phone was said to be discounted by $100, with two free cases, and while they were at it, they even  told me that I had been overpaying for my data, once again due to customer loyalty, so they also made a slight adjustment to the data rate on my plan. And regarding your question,  “how much did I pay?”,  today as look at the installment price for the two new iphone6s on my plan they are listed at $549, apparently after the discount, but interestingly enough, that is also about exactly what they are listed for today as upgrades under the same plan without any sort of discount. In August/September the iphone7 was just about to be released, so the BOGO price for the iphone6s was probably higher at that time. I wasn’t that concerned about pricing, only that it be competitive and fair, and their offer was said to be just that with discounts applied, but in actuality the supposed discount only amounted to a couple of dollars a month on one phone, since the other phone was said to be free after the credits were to kick in two months later, saving me at least $18/month. And yes this was all correctly done as “Next installments”.

As I reflect back, I also always wondered about the two month lag time in order to get the installment credit to appear on your account, and whether or not the couple of payments that you had to make in the interim would be eventually credited back, which was all so unclear, but yet I gave att the benefit of that doubt, although today unfortunately it appears to be evident that this is all a pattern of very questionable/concerning sales tactics and somewhat of a bait and switch scam.

After 3 months I called after not seeing the installment credit, only to be told that it would eventually show up. After 4 months, I called, and was told that the credit should be appearing by now, and that it would take about 6 days for the installment credit to be added to my bill, and that I would also be reimbursed for all installment credits that I had already paid on iphone6s on the new line. And after 5 months, I have been more persistent, first being told, that they would correct it, but then later being told that the BOGO credit was being disapproved because the phones had been discounted. The entire matter is absurd, and has wasted so much of my time as well as so many so far at at&t, and will continue. Essentially what I am being told after 5 months is that I am being denied an $18+ installment credit per month (or perhaps $21 depending upon which installment price you use) on one phone because the sales rep applied approximately a $2 discount per month on the other. My position is that the original offer was given to me and I accepted. And at the very least, they should be offering to correct the sales rep’s mistake and adjust the installment price accordingly so not to interfere with the BOGO promotion that I purchased. Other than that, the only reasonable solution would seem to be to void the entire transaction since att has failed to deliver what they offered.  But of course given their own time lag and stalling, voiding or unraveling this mess would not be very easy. So anyway given all that, I’m being simply told that they are unwilling to do anything and that I have entirely no recourse other than to continue to pay for the free phone.  By definition if this is not a bait-and-switch scam, I don’t know what is. Applying the practically worthless discounts to the items relative to the BOGO credits, knowing (or should be knowing) that those discounts would eventually be used to disallow the original BOGO offer, and then factoring in so much mandatory lag time to determine if the credits would ever occur, and then even misleading the customer and stalling until 5 months later when you reveal that you do not intend to honor your end on the agreement, and then providing a contact loop of  “customer loyalty” reps who seemingly have no authority to resolve the matter, and then on subsequent callbacks you find that there is absolutely no continuity in their process by design in order to discourage by wasting so much of our time, even being assured that you will receive call backs from supervisors/managers, who never call, just in order to get you to hang up because by policy they apparently can’t hang up until you are satisfied … my goodness, it is just so shameful in my experience and opinion. My biggest shock though was thinking that maybe I was an isolated case until finally looking at what has been posted on the internet regarding these types of sales tactics. Sure each case may vary, and some may be very questionable, but yet there is an unmistakable pattern/problem here that att needs to certainly address and correct, rather than misleading customers, costing them so much time and unnecessary expense, while trying to avoid responsibility for their own mistakes and sales practices.

ACE - Sage

• 

105.5K Messages

6 years ago

@sosadaaty wrote:

Well first of all, like I said, I’ve been an att customer for over 20 years or so, and all my phones were paid for at this particular time, so it happened to be a good time to shop deals or perhaps alternative service providers prior to beginning to upgrade many of my iphone4s’s on my family plan. Takes time of course so I was dragging my feet a little, but one day I saw this BOGO offer and thought, wow not bad, so I called. And of course it is then that you begin to sort through the fine print, only to find out or confirm that the objective of most of these deals is to attract new customers or add new lines of service. Not that shocking, but still as an existing customer, and loyal as I happen to say, you certainly become a little disturbed and wonder why there are no incentives or discounts being offered or advertised to retain the customers like us. But as it turns out, what you tend to find out if you happen to ask, is that there are apparently such discounts available, “customer loyalty” in the words of the sales rep, although not advertised or seeming disclosed anywhere that I could find. So the sales pitch that was offered to me, even though I wasn’t too pleased about having to add a new phone line of service, was first the BOGO for the two iphone6s, adding a new line of service (which I did and have been paying for), and as an incentive (customer loyalty), the installment price on each phone was said to be discounted by $100, with two free cases, and while they were at it, they even  told me that I had been overpaying for my data, once again due to customer loyalty, so they also made a slight adjustment to the data rate on my plan. And regarding your question,  “how much did I pay?”,  today as look at the installment price for the two new iphone6s on my plan they are listed at $549, apparently after the discount, but interestingly enough, that is also about exactly what they are listed for today as upgrades under the same plan without any sort of discount. In August/September the iphone7 was just about to be released, so the BOGO price for the iphone6s was probably higher at that time. I wasn’t that concerned about pricing, only that it be competitive and fair, and their offer was said to be just that with discounts applied, but in actuality the supposed discount only amounted to a couple of dollars a month on one phone, since the other phone was said to be free after the credits were to kick in two months later, saving me at least $18/month. And yes this was all correctly done as “Next installments”.

As I reflect back, I also always wondered about the two month lag time in order to get the installment credit to appear on your account, and whether or not the couple of payments that you had to make in the interim would be eventually credited back, which was all so unclear, but yet I gave att the benefit of that doubt, although today unfortunately it appears to be evident that this is all a pattern of very questionable/concerning sales tactics and somewhat of a bait and switch scam.

After 3 months I called after not seeing the installment credit, only to be told that it would eventually show up. After 4 months, I called, and was told that the credit should be appearing by now, and that it would take about 6 days for the installment credit to be added to my bill, and that I would also be reimbursed for all installment credits that I had already paid on iphone6s on the new line. And after 5 months, I have been more persistent, first being told, that they would correct it, but then later being told that the BOGO credit was being disapproved because the phones had been discounted. The entire matter is absurd, and has wasted so much of my time as well as so many so far at at&t, and will continue. Essentially what I am being told after 5 months is that I am being denied an $18+ installment credit per month (or perhaps $21 depending upon which installment price you use) on one phone because the sales rep applied approximately a $2 discount per month on the other. My position is that the original offer was given to me and I accepted. And at the very least, they should be offering to correct the sales rep’s mistake and adjust the installment price accordingly so not to interfere with the BOGO promotion that I purchased. Other than that, the only reasonable solution would seem to be to void the entire transaction since att has failed to deliver what they offered.  But of course given their own time lag and stalling, voiding or unraveling this mess would not be very easy. So anyway given all that, I’m being simply told that they are unwilling to do anything and that I have entirely no recourse other than to continue to pay for the free phone.  By definition if this is not a bait-and-switch scam, I don’t know what is. Applying the practically worthless discounts to the items relative to the BOGO credits, knowing (or should be knowing) that those discounts would eventually be used to disallow the original BOGO offer, and then factoring in so much mandatory lag time to determine if the credits would ever occur, and then even misleading the customer and stalling until 5 months later when you reveal that you do not intend to honor your end on the agreement, and then providing a contact loop of  “customer loyalty” reps who seemingly have no authority to resolve the matter, and then on subsequent callbacks you find that there is absolutely no continuity in their process by design in order to discourage by wasting so much of our time, even being assured that you will receive call backs from supervisors/managers, who never call, just in order to get you to hang up because by policy they apparently can’t hang up until you are satisfied … my goodness, it is just so shameful in my experience and opinion. My biggest shock though was thinking that maybe I was an isolated case until finally looking at what has been posted on the internet regarding these types of sales tactics. Sure each case may vary, and some may be very questionable, but yet there is an unmistakable pattern/problem here that att needs to certainly address and correct, rather than misleading customers, costing them so much time and unnecessary expense, while trying to avoid responsibility for their own mistakes and sales practices.

@sosadaaty

Thanks for the reply.   I only had to read to this point......

"how much did I pay?”, today as look at the installment price for the two new iphone6s on my plan they are listed at $549, apparently after the discount, ".  

The Bogo was on devices over $585 retail price.  This made any phone that had a retail or discounted price invalid for the Bogo.  

Here is the bogo requirement that invalidated your purchase for the bogo credits:

http://about.att.com/story/getting_a_free_att_smartphone_is_easy.html

1Devices priced $585 to $695. Exclusions apply. Both require 0% APR agmt. Pay up to 3 installments on each before credits starts. Req’s well-qual. credit. If svc cancelled on 1, its device balance is due. Credit may not exceed device price. Activation/upgrade, other fees, monthly, other charges and restrictions apply. Void in CT, RI & Miami-Dade county. See a store for details. Other eligible smartphones include the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy S7 active, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge, and Galaxy Note5.

I don't know if the clerk knew the discount would invalidate the Bogo.   

If you don't need or use the new line you added, you may as well cancel it and pay off the phone.   

By definition, this is NOT bait and switch.   That would be selling you on a product at a fair price for that product, but then delivering to you an inferior, lower value item.  Example, selling you an iPad Pro at full retail, then handing you an iPad mini instead.  

The problem is 2 fold....

1.  Customers don't know the offers and follow them.

2.   Employees don't know them and don't follow them.   

Some of the claims for not getting the Bogo are because a customer knew the offer, but tried to get around the requirements.

Employees just want the sale.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.