#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Wed, Jun 26, 2019 1:53 AM

AT&T DOES NOT CARE ABOUT CURRENT CUSTOMERS

Why doesn’t at&t offer promotions to existing customers that DOES NOT require an additional line. Seriously. My mother and farther don’t need to add a 3 line to their account to get an affordable smart phone when there are just 2 of them. I’ve read your thread. You ignore the issues and supply bull crap responses like “check out our current offers “ all of which make you add an additional line and if you cancel the new line you owe AT&T $1,400.  Really?  If you cared you’d let current customers upgrade with out adding another line to their plan

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.5K Messages

3 y ago

It’s simple, promotions exist to generate new business, not to keep existing business. This is not unique to ATT, it’s the same with every other carrier. Besides, a BOGO phone does not require an additional line, it requires a new line. If someone is willing to change their number, you can open a new line to get the promotion and cancel another line. I know someone who has done that twice, once to get an iPhone 7, just recently to get an iPhone Xr. They still have the same number of lines. Most customers won’t do that because they don’t want to give up their number but it can be done.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 y ago

@danteore wrote:

Why doesn’t at&t offer promotions to existing customers that DOES NOT require an additional line.

Because if they gave you a new phone when people wanted them, plans would cost more (to pay for the phones)>

Seriously. My mother and farther don’t need to add a 3 line to their account to get an affordable smart phone when there are just 2 of them.

No one here thinks they should add a third line to their plan to get a "free" phone.

No one should get a new line for a free phone unless you need a new line.

If you cared you’d let current customers upgrade with out adding another line to their plan

You don't seem to understand that these BOGOs are to lure new customers, they're expecting a return on their investment since many (most?) customers tend to stay.

to get an affordable smart phone

Most of those deals are for premium phones.

Any of these more affordable phones will work on your postpaid plan. They're for prepaid and they work fine, BUT any discounts related to prepaid obviously will not carry over.

danteore

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 y ago

If you read the threads you’ll see that AT&T will respond to upset customers and tell them that the BOGO is for current and new customers. It’s not limited to new.  However it’s not fair to make a current customer add an additional line to get the promotional discount 

danteore

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 y ago

If you read the threads you’ll see that AT&T will respond to upset customers and tell them that the BOGO is for current and new customers. It’s not limited to new.  However it’s not fair to make a current customer add an additional line to get the promotional discount 

danteore

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 y ago

That’s a bull crap solution. #OpenANewLine

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

10.7K Messages

3 y ago

@danteore wrote:

Everyone has to add a line to get the promotion

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

3 y ago

If AT&T offered even $100 off a new phone to its 150 million customers in 2018, that would have been a loss of 15 billion dollars to the company. And for what? AT&T certainly wouldn't gain 15 billion dollars by keeping its existing customer base.

AT&T only offers BOGO to try to get more revenue, and it can write off the loss. That's why AT&T doesn't offer existing customers more promotions. In this current wireless climate where smartphone sales are plummeting and the difference in prices between the major carriers can be as little as $50, retaining customers is less important than gaining new customers.

If you want to get those promotions, then switch carriers. After a couple years, your new carrier won't give you any promotions either, so you can switch back to AT&T to get more promotions as a new customer. Rinse and repeat. Or you could just enjoy what you have and stop worrying about chasing deals.

ACE - Sage

• 

92.2K Messages

3 y ago

@danteore wrote:

Why doesn’t at&t offer promotions to existing customers that DOES NOT require an additional line. Seriously. My mother and farther don’t need to add a 3 line to their account to get an affordable smart phone when there are just 2 of them. I’ve read your thread. You ignore the issues and supply bull crap responses like “check out our current offers “ all of which make you add an additional line and if you cancel the new line you owe AT&T $1,400.  Really?  If you cared you’d let current customers upgrade with out adding another line to their plan

Apparently there isn’t any other carrier out there that cares about their current customers either. Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, boost, metro etc. etc.    They only offer ‘free’ phones if you add a line, and there is always a “catch”.  

The phones are a lost leader for the purpose of adding business. It’s the same reason gas stations put out signs saying that their gallon of milk is only two dollars. They want you to shop at their gas station, by their gas and then go inside buy milk and a bunch of other overpriced items. 

Simply put;  these deals are not to save us money, they are to add new business and make a profit off us.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.5K Messages

3 y ago

@danteore wrote:

That’s a bull crap solution. #OpenANewLine

@danteore What’s a bull crap solution? Opening a new line and cancelling another?  It worked for someone I know twice. Why is that bull crap? Just because you don’t want to do that does not make it bad or wrong. 

danteore

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 y ago

Why do I have to change my phone number just to get a deal? You can’t port your number within the same company. That’s bull crap.
danteore

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 y ago

All of you guys are just confirming that AT&T does not care about current customers based on their actions of profit.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 y ago

@danteore wrote:
All of you guys are just confirming that AT&T does not care about current customers based on their actions of profit.

Said nothing of the sort. But keep in mind that making a profit is their fiduciary duty.

Caring about customers does NOT mean giving them free $800 phones.

Why do I have to change my phone number just to get a deal? You can’t port your number within the same company.

Because the deal requires a new line. 

ANYONE, including current customers, can take advantage of this offer if you add a new line.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

I have wondered the same thing! Been with art since my first cell phone.  Used to they offered some free phones online w/o any new service just renew contract.  But now...geez, it costs arm/leg to upgrade and newer phones are way more than us seniors can cope with.  I'm considering consumer cellular thru aarp.  

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 y ago

@Junebugpr wrote:

I have wondered the same thing! Been with art since my first cell phone.  Used to they offered some free phones online w/o any new service just renew contract.  But now...geez, it costs arm/leg to upgrade and newer phones are way more than us seniors can cope with.  I'm considering consumer cellular thru aarp.  

That's because new phones aren't phones any more, they're basically computers. So they cost way more than they used to. Plans used to cost more too.

A basic phone, those are cheap you can get this for $60 https://www.att.com/buy/phones/att-cingular-flip-2-4gb-dark-gray.html

For a while, AT&T  would subsidized phones, they'd charge $200 for a $650 smartphone but it required a 2-year commitment to a plan that was very likely more expensive than you are paying for now (if not, it's time to change your plan); that extra expense helped pay for the phone.  A few people managed to hang on to some super cheap plans, but those are people with 200MB data plans, I'm paying about $15 less a line and I've got unlimited calling, unlimited texting, unlimited data, 15GB hotspot and HBO (plus free roaming in Canada/Mexico).

BECAUSE of that, I've not upgraded in 3 years. I've now been keeping that $15 for myself.

Even IF I had continued to upgrade every two years (and didn't save my $15), I'd only be paying a little more ($3.75 a line) when I'm getting so much more from my plan.

danteore

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

3 y ago

Actually it does. Remember upgrading ? Getting that 2 year contract and paying the same price for service? This wasn’t limited to a new customer but to customers who were eligible based contracting terms.

Well the cost of the service hasn’t changed (you pay for data instead of voice) and we no longer get subsidized cell phones (you pay full price now) but you can’t get promotional offer #AT&TDOESNOTCAREABOUTCURRENTCUSTOMSRS
Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.