Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Jan 11, 2018 8:13 PM

At&t calling asking for a PIN. Scam?

I just received a phone call from 1-800-331-0551. Google search showed up nothing. They claimed that they are calling from AT&T because they are receiving reports that a lot of people have been calling from my area saying there have been connection issues and would like to give me $10 credit per line to compensate. The rep told me that a text message is coming to my phone with a PIN to read out to him.  Text message looks legit however it says "We'll never call you to ask for your PIN. If you didn't request a PIN, call 1-800-331-0500."

Responses

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9K Messages

2 years ago

@ConstanceTution wrote:

@MicCheck 

Giggled when I read  "my passover".

when I saw "...only give them your Rosh Hashanah!"

lol so hard almost wet myself laughing!

.😂

Thanks! I might not always have the right answers, but I try to at least be comic relief!

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I got the same call yesterday from +1(800)331-0509. Person speaking claimed to be from att customer care. He said that I have requested for a phone upgrade and that it will be processed in 24 hours. I told him that I haven't made any request. That is when he asked me to read the pin. It seemed suspicious. My guess is he must have tried to reset my password and the code is the way to authenticate it. I did not read the password. As some folks said the received text message had 1-800-331-0500. I called this number to see if there was any scam on my account or whatsoever.. The person who talked to me on that number asked me for my att passcode for him to check my account for any possible mishap. How brazen is this? I hung up.

How cleverly this trap has been spun by the criminals!! You get a scam call and get a text message that looks legit and then a bigger trap ahead of it. Beware, friends!

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.3K Messages

2 years ago

The person who talked to me on that number asked me for my att passcode for him to check my account for any possible mishap. How brazen is this?

@girlhasnoname When you call ATT, that is exactly what they are supposed to do to verify you are the real account owner. Otherwise, anyone could call and claim to be the account owner. If someone calls you, you should not provide your account pin but if you call them, then you must provide the pin or they won't help you. You just need to make sure you are calling a legitimate ATT support number, which you were.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Really? I have never given my passwords as a means to authenticate myself on calls. It is usually last 4 digits of SSN, my security questions, etc.. But yeah when in att store, I remember giving my passcode which I consider a different scenario. But I agree with you, I should have checked if I was calling a legitimate att #. Thanks!

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.3K Messages

2 years ago

I have never given my passwords as a means to authenticate myself on calls. It is usually last 4 digits of SSN, my security questions, etc

@girlhasnoname There are multiple ways for ATT to verify your identity, so last 4 and security questions are definitely acceptable but so is asking for the pin. In fact, I'm pretty sure they are trying to make the account pin the primary way to verify. The problem is often customers have not set their pin, in which case the default in the last 4 of the SSN.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77K Messages

2 years ago

@girlhasnoname

At least 3 years ago AT&T asked customers to change the PIN code from the last 4 of SS# to a unique 4 to 8 digit number.  It should be set as extra security so you are always asked for it.  It’s far to easy to hack email, and then hack accounts.  The reason ATT requested the change is apparently the last 4 of our SS# is easier to guess than we might think.  

I actually change my PIN each time it gets used in a store.  You never know who is listening.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I just received a call from...myself. When I answered it was a robocall. They said my account was suspended and required immediate attention. It was suspicious from the moment I looked at my screen and saw it was me calling so when they asked for my PIN, I gave a fake. Troll me, I troll you. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just got a call like this saying AT&T is giving away 10000 custmers $99 credit and just wanted to verify my pin number....SCAM,,,,l think so!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Just received this text: AT&T Free Msg: Please use this single-use PIN mdnmar to complete your AT&T Messages login. We'll never call you to ask for your PIN. If you didn't request a PIN, call 800.331.0500 ASAP.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77K Messages

2 years ago

@Jaime-Ochoa wrote:

Just received this text: AT&T Free Msg: Please use this single-use PIN mdnmar to complete your AT&T Messages login. We'll never call you to ask for your PIN. If you didn't request a PIN, call 800.331.0500 ASAP.

Scam, do not reply

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

They have started the new year (2019) with this scam again.  They called my teenager and got them to believe the scam!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

This just happened to my mom and me. They called saying that a service interruption would be happening on Sunday and that they had to confirm the location of the service. They sent my mom a pin and she gave it to them. Two hours later and both of our phones are disabled and a new account was setup as well as over $600 in charges to her card.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

How did ATT resolve this?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77K Messages

a year ago

@Mduckworth wrote:

How did ATT resolve this?

They didn’t and wouldn’t.   If you get a call phishing for your information, you HANG UP.  

No carrier can resolve scam and phishing contacts.  It’s up to the customer not to be dopey and give out private info.

Get started...

Ask a new question