Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sun, Dec 3, 2017 8:06 PM

Asurion ATT phone insurance is a scam???

Cracked my iPhone 6s screen.  I’ve had the phone and been making monthly insurance payments to Att for over 2 years.  I attempted to make my first ever claim and was notified I only had to pay $112 deductible and that was a discount from the normal $225 because I’ve never made a claim. My local screen repair shop charged $89.99 to replace.  What a scam for a multi billion dollar company to be running. You should’ve led be ashamed ATT.

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42K Messages

3 years ago

Assurion is not ATT. Assurion is the insurance provider for all carriers and they set their deductible, not ATT.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Vadisgrunteled You've really got to see if insurance is worth it to you. Sounds like you wouldn't have thought it was a "scam" if you'd read the policy, it's like you wouldn't have actually gotten the insurance and it wouldn't have been an issue for you.

Just like automobile insurance. I'm not going to make an insurance claim when I have a $500 deductible if I can replace it for $100. 

I personally think the Asurion is overpriced, especially for iPhones since Apple has AppleCare, Apple would have replaced the screen for $29 ($49?) for you with an official Apple screen (on day one or on day 700).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

totally agree - I hope someone will sue these companies for ripping customers off

At&T is promoting them what a shame

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Sadly ATT sales people sold me the insurance in a ATT store. So all though they may be a third party vendor ATT is the distributor (I’m sure get $s from sale) and in my eyes equally responsible for horrible program.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

Agree - ATT should be responsible for horrible program promotion

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42K Messages

3 years ago

Well then I guess Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint are also equally responsible because they sell the same insurance. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Sandblaster,

your using the the oldest excuse in the book.  Companies farm out crap services like Asurion and have their (ATT) sales people sell it and ATT customers buy it trusting ATT.  When it turns out to be a scam which Asurion proved to be and the customer complains the company throws their hands up and says well that’s not us.  That may work on some simpletons but I call bull crap.  ATT makes money off of Asurion with their customers and therefore are equally liable.  Stop the crap and ATT take responsibility for what your people are selling your customers.  

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

I hope this becomes more visible so people are not trapped into buying - I just cancelled it after paying for it an year- they made me fillout an affidavit and send in my driver license photo - making it harder so I can go away - HORRIBLE;

shame on businesses selling crappy service

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

3 years ago

@Vadisgrunteled wrote:

Sandblaster,

your using the the oldest excuse in the book.  Companies farm out crap services like Asurion and have their (ATT) sales people sell it and ATT customers buy it trusting ATT.  When it turns out to be a scam which Asurion proved to be and the customer complains the company throws their hands up and says well that’s not us.  That may work on some simpletons but I call bull crap.  ATT makes money off of Asurion with their customers and therefore are equally liable.  Stop the crap and ATT take responsibility for what your people are selling your customers.  

your just made it cost more to get the screen replaced from asurion...  The difference is they would have shipped you a different phone all together...  Or lets look at it this way you lost your phone that 112 bucks would have replaced said phone.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.9K Messages

3 years ago

Screen repair on eligible devices is $89 with insurance.  

https://www.att.com/offers/device-protection.html

Had you added Apple care Plus when you bought the phone, screen repair is $29.  

Asurion is what it is.  It is not owned by ATT or another carrier.  I don’t feel it’s a good deal and don’t use it.  Had you read the brochure Asurion sends out, you would have known the options and maybe made another choice.   

We see complaints from both sides... “I thought I had insurance”, “I pay for insurnace why do I pay a deductible”, “why did I get a refurbished phone”, “I didn’t want insurance but it’s been billed for 2 years”.  Etc.   It’s the employees job to suggest you cover your $800 phone with insurance.  It’s up to you to read the information and make choices

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42K Messages

3 years ago

@Vadisgrunteled I am not making any excuses because they are not my customers, I don’t work for ATT. I think the insurance is a terrible product and I would never buy it myself but I don’t think it is a scam. I guess the difference between you and me is I don’t trust anything told by any sales person unless I see it in writing. Yes, I’ve gotten the same pitch in ATT stores too but I knew better. I fail to understand why anyone would buy a product without knowing exactly what they were getting.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Vadisgrunteled wrote:
your using the the oldest excuse in the book.

Is that "it's not my fault?" or is that "it's someone else's fault?"

When it turns out to be a scam which Asurion proved to be and the customer complains the company throws their hands up and says well that’s not us.  That may work on some simpletons but I call bull crap.  ATT makes money off of Asurion with their customers and therefore are equally liable.  

Just because you don't like the policy doesn't mean it's a "scam", it really means you should have checked the policy for the deductibles because it's clearly something you didn't want.  If you lose your phone often or have them stolen often then Asurion could be great for you. If not, then it's not a great policy (IMHO), it depends on why you are buying it. 

ATT take responsibility for what your people are selling your customers.  

No, you need to take some responsibility and see what your policy covers before... Well, basically before you realize later you aren't happy with what it covers/costs after pumping a lot of money into it.

I really doubt you are going to convince someone who spent 90 seconds checking out the policy and deciding that it wasn't for them that it's someone else's fault you didn't check.

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

to be honest - the company should evaluate and propose and recommend the right set of products and value-add. I know in some ways to review the policy is important but when a At&T sales person convincingly (and confusingly) make you buy even though it is horrible service then more responsibility falls on company offering it. it just does not mean companies can start to offer a crappy services and expect customers to read all the policies - in and of itself of that expectation is BAD SERVICE - SHAME!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Actually, in my case, it is definitely a scam. I've carried insurance on my ATT phones for 14 years. A few years ago they switched it to Asurion and didn't bother to inform me that they were changing providers, or that my deductible was going up from $50 to either $125 or $250. I didn't find out until I actually needed it, and I learned that not only had the deductible gone up to a ridiculous amount but they were perfectly ok with replacing my phone with a 2 year old used phone that I could have picked up on eBay for $150. Originally, when I purchased the policy it was a no questions asked full replacement with service policy, $50 deductible for whatever I needed it for, whether it was a repair or replacement. Until a couple weeks ago the only time I had used it was in 2010 or 2011 and it was no problem, I paid the $50 and they fixed my phone no problem. Whatever this crap with Asurion is, it was not the policy ATT sold me, and they never bothered to tell me they were changing it. That kinda screams scam.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

I agree it is definitely a SCAM - I hope people make this on other social media so it will fall apart by itself. at least most people stop buying into this SCAM

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@kenderkindle wrote:

Actually, in my case, it is definitely a scam. I've carried insurance on my ATT phones for 14 years. A few years ago they switched it to Asurion and didn't bother to inform me that they were changing providers, or that my deductible was going up from $50 to either $125 or $250.

Hmmm... I don't even pay for the insurance and I heard about the deductibles going up.  

Although I don't even remember them being $50 deductible; but 14 years ago you had to look hard to find a $500 phone, now it's hard to find one that isn't $650+. With phone costs going up, deductibles going up seems pretty obvious. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.9K Messages

2 years ago

@kenderkindle

Asurion has always been the only full service mobile insurance provider.  All carriers use them.   While they use regional underwriters it’s still Asurion.  They have twice increased premiums on the basic plan in the 20 years I’ve had cell phones.  The deductibles are scaled to the price of phones.  As phone prices have risen the deductible has changed.  The new top tier phone deductible is $299 now.  

Notices went out on bills for every customer with coverage. (I know because customers posted complaints about the extra $1)

you are not required to have insurance.  If you don’t like it cancel.  

I think it’s a bad product, always was.  I self insure by saving $10 for future purchases or replacements 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

@lizdance40 I just cancelled it - it never was a good product to offer - thanks

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9K Messages

2 years ago

Was it a brand new phone you broke? Why would you expect a brand new phone as a replacement? 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Denied my  claim because I refused to take a $150 replacement phone for the $900 phone I had under insurance. Seems like a scam to me. Read the policy all you want, a scam is a scam.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

@Sugoibaka WOW!!! That is definitively a scam - I hope some social group takes it them to court

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Asurion offered me a $150 low end phone or a $300 check to replace my $900 phone. You're definitely right in saying it's scam because it is.

Get started...

Ask a new question