Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
Help for account, billing & more
D

• 

5 Messages

Mon, Nov 30, 2020 2:29 AM

Activate SIM card from overseas

I lost my US-based phone number a couple of months ago due to 60 days of no use. I’m trying to purchase a new Prepaid plan and activate the SIM card on my phone (iPhone X), but I’m currently overseas in South Korea.

The customer service representative I spoke to said that I wouldn’t be able to activate my SIM card while in Korea because I wouldn’t be able to get text messages, but some of the plans and posts on the forum state otherwise.

If I were to get my SIM card shipped to Korea, would I be able to activate my SIM card while I am in Korea and start a new Prepaid plan with a new phone number?

Constructive

Employee

• 

28.7K Messages

2 y前

Not until in the us 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.8K Messages

2 y前

Actually, you should be able to activate the SIM card. Since you can activate online at att.com/activate, if you can get to that web page, you should be able to activate the SIM card and get a number assigned. However, you won’t be able to purchase a plan and even if you could, It won’t do any good. You won’t get service because prepaid doesn’t roam in South Korea.

• 

5 Messages

2 y前

@sandblaster

That’s fine, I’m not looking to actually utilize the plan until I re-enter the US; I just need a valid US-based phone number to authenticate purchases and what not from time to time.

The customer service representative I spoke to said that even if I get my SIM card shipped to Korea and I attempt to activate it online via att.com/activate, I wouldn’t be able to complete the process because they would require the default 4-digit PIN sent to me via SMS. So, there’s no international roaming available for Korea, I thought that I wouldn’t be able to activate the SIM card while overseas.

Is this actually the case? I’m getting a lot of conflicting information online.

Constructive

Employee

• 

28.7K Messages

2 y前

if anybody would know it would be @sandblaster 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.8K Messages

2 y前

What they mean by complete the process is logging into your account and purchasing a plan. That you won’t be able to do until you are in the US but you can activate the SIM card and get a number. You have 30 days to purchase a plan after activating the SIM card.

• 

5 Messages

2 y前

The customer service representative said as long as I'm able to purchase a Prepaid plan with a VPN, it's fine, but I wasn't sure if they meant an official AT&T VPN or just any random VPN that allows me to log in and purchase a Prepaid plan since that seems kind of sketchy.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.6K Messages

2 y前

From my memory of activating and paying for prepaid, text messages are sent for assigning a login code.  I can't see how you can start service and pay for a plan, receive a login code, with no text service.  

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.8K Messages

2 y前

Account access is blocked from most locations abroad. Using a VPN to a US based network is a possible workaround. It does not matter who provides the VPN. However, if you need to receive a text to log into your account, a VPN won’t matter.

• 

5 Messages

2 y前

Would having someone else set up the SIM card on their device be a possible workaround, or are there issues with how the SIM card is first registered? I can use a VPN to purchase a plan and sign up for an account, but since the only obstacle is the lack of text service out here, I was thinking someone could activate the new SIM card on their device and send it to me. Barring that, I also considered sending my phone to family in the US, have them complete the process there, and ship my phone back here.

Constructive

Employee

• 

28.7K Messages

2 y前

thats possible but seems like a lot of work for something you cant use until your back in the states

• 

5 Messages

2 y前

@Constructive

True, but there's no telling when I might re-enter the US (could be a month, could be a few months, who knows), so I'm doing all this to obtain a valid US-based phone number; I don't even care if I can't use the plan until I re-enter as long as the phone number is active. Is setting the SIM card up on someone else's device and then using it on my own device once I re-enter the US possible? I heard there might be some technical complications with how the SIM card's recognition systems are set up when activating it on someone else's device.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.8K Messages

2 y前

Is setting the SIM card up on someone else's device and then using it on my own device once I re-enter the US possible?

Yes, that is possible. 

ACE - Sage

• 

98.6K Messages

2 y前

That would be a viable workaround, an expensive one of course because shipping anything internationally is expensive.  I was quoted $63 recently (which is why I refuse to ship used cell phones outside the United States)

Why bother shipping?  If you’re going to pay a friend to do a favor for you, I have them pick up the cheapest prepaid phone and activate the service for you and give you the information. If they’re really good friend have them continue to monitor the phone for you and email you or message you any transactions.   (Just a thought)

(edited)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.