Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
PrinceGil's profile

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 19th, 2024 10:37 PM

ACP ending, how does this effect my phone's trade-in promo if I switch plans?

So, I got a free cell phone with a trade-in promotion but I could only afford the monthly bill required by the promotion with help of the ACP. Now, with the ACP ending and not being able to afford that particular plan anymore without that discount, what will happen with my phone's promotion? 

In order to afford the monthly bill AND stay with AT&T, I'd have to switch down to one of the cheaper, prepaid plans (but ONLY if the promo credits for my trade-in stay active!) But if I lose the promo and have to pay for the phone on a monthly installment basis, I'd have to leave AT&T for a much cheaper carrier so I could afford a monthly service plan AND the phone's monthly payment! But, this has the issue of the phone itself not being unlocked yet so I couldn't even take it to another carrier! Are my only choices giving up the phone (whether I stay with AT&T or not) or having to pay it in-full immediately upon having to cancel my AT&T service?

Basically, is there any way I can keep my new phone by going down to a cheaper (likely prepaid) AT&T plan or being able to pay for it on a monthly installment plan without AT&T service so I don't have to pay it off in-full or return it?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

3 months ago

In order to keep receiving bill credits on your phone you have to maintain an unlimited data plan on postpaid service. The unlimited starter plan is the cheapest plan that AT&T currently offers that still qualifies.

The value plan does not qualify, the 4 gig plan does not qualify. And if you switch to prepaid, you have to pay off your phone in full before AT&T will allow you to switch.

You cannot cancel AT&T service without paying off the phone. It is not only carrier locked but it is account restricted until it is paid off.

Sounds to me like you're going to have to find a $30 a month side hustle to make up the difference

You cannot return the phone. The return window was 14 days. After that you have to pay for the phone

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.