Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums



1 Message

Fri, Jul 27, 2018 9:33 PM

account cancelled??

account has just been cancelled unfortunately i have an outstanding bill, my question is can i make this right and get my service back on?


Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Brand User

Community Support


140.2K Messages

2 years ago

Hey @gt101080,

We've got an answer for you!

To restore services after suspension due to non-payment, the entirety of the account balance must be paid. In addition, there will be a restoral fee charged in the process.

Please check out Restoring Services on a Suspended Account for more information.


If you run into any issues, you can dial 611 from your device to speak to Wireless Customer Support.


Enjoy your weekend!


Trace, AT&T Community Specialist

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Get started...

Ask a new question