Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Need help understanding your bill?
superkirk's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 9:13 AM

5 days Cust. Serv. Nightmare for a lost/stolen phone

Here was my problem:

On launch day, I stayed up till midnight to order the new iPhone 6 Plus, 64gb, in Space Grey. I was one of the first to buy, and the phone was supposed to be delivered last Friday (9/26/14). On that day, Fedex sent me a notification that the phone was delivered to my home at 315pm. My wife was home all day, so I asked her to check, and the phone wasn't there. I came home later and checked my eight home security cameras, four of which face the front door, yard, and street. After spending hours reviewing the video, I could find no sign of a Fedex truck or delivery person ever approaching my door, or even driving down my street. 

Next, on Saturday morning (9/27/14) I called Fedex and they launched a "claim", which took them till monday to resolve, and I had to prod them entire way (their customer service is awful). They finally said monday night (9/29/14), that the driver likely mis-delivered the phone, or stole it, since his description of my home was wrong. They stated there was nothing more they could do to find the phone, since the driver says he couldn't identify what accidental address he dropped it off at. They were ready to declare it "a loss" and refund ATT for the phone.

Luckly I had been in contact with ATT since Saturday morning as well, and was told there was nothing that could be done until Fedex completed their investigation. However, the light at the end of the tunnel was that a very (very) nice rep told me that there was “reserve units” that were on hand just for situations like these. She said that if it turns out Fedex couldn’t get my phone back, I could have a new one shipped “this week”! So now it was time to call ATT and get the “reserve unit” shipped, right? That was 3 days ago...

At my last count, I've been on/ off the phone w/ATT for 5 days now total. Spoken to 5-6 departments, been transferred 19 times at least (conservative estimate), been disconnected twice with no call-backs, and spent 3 hours total on hold (one whole hour just today). Your customer service has several MAJOR problems as I see it... 

1. Everyone passes the buck and is so quick to transfer me.
2. Every transfer sends me to a new phone-tree answering system which is infuriating (after 19 times). 
3. Every transfer results in more holds and more wait times. Transfers don't get to "cut the line" ahead of new callers.
4. Every transfer means I have to completely re-explain the problem (or wait 15 min for the new rep to read my file, as "Jane" did today).
5. Every transfer requires I be Re-identified. 
6. No one will give me direct call-back numbers so I can call back when I'm disconnected, or endlessly transferred, etc.
7. No department seems to know what other departments can or can't do, resulting in unnecessary transfers back and forth. Several times now I've been transferred from Dept A, to B, then C, only to be sent back to A.
8. This all started because you guys ship $900 iPhones without signatures being required at drop off. So some fedex driver stole/lost my phone, and now I'm wait listed for a new iPhone 6 plus for 45 days!!!! 

Imagine if you will, what you could accomplish in your personal life with 4 hours a day (half a day's work), for 5 days. Got it? Now imagine spending that time instead spent sitting on a phone retelling the same story 19 times, being re-identified 19 times, being transferred 19 times, and being then end it by being told to "get in the back of the line" for new iPhones. And that doesn't even include the fighting I've had to do with Fedex! The closest I can come to explaining this ordeal is by showing you an excerpt of the notes I've kept thus far. This is just from today...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10/1/14- At 1330 I was called back ref ticket# [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.] by a "supervisor". He sent me to Premier to speak with an Indian-accented rep answering, after being placed on hold first. This guy said he had to have an investigation done before sending me a new iPhone 6 Plus, and sent me back to stolen phone dept. A lady answered who disconnected after 60 seconds, and never called me back. I called back, waited 10 more minutes and got Patrick (stolen device dept). He sent me to Premier again, to speak to Chris, after yet another hold/wait. Christ started ordering my new phone, but I had to disconnect to go to work before finishing. He gave me conf# *** so I could call back and pickup later. The time was 1410 hours.

I called back at 1515 hours, went through the phone tree, sat on hold. Sales rep Kathy answered and transferred me to the "web assistance center". Got a phone tree again, then put on hold again. Next I got Rasheed, in the "secondary sales department". After being re-ID again, Rasheed told me he couldn't give me a direct call back number in case I got disconnected again. Rasheed just said my order is In-Progress with a 35-40 day wait!! This was unbelievable, since I stayed up till midnight to order the phone on launch day, just to have it stolen/lost by Fedex, which was only possible because ATT doesn't require signatures on it's iPhone deliveries! Now, through no fault of my own, I have to wait till the end of November to get my phone! I asked Rasheed about the “reserve units”, and he didn’t know anything about them. He said I should talk to the lost/stolen phone department.

1540 hours- Rasheed transferred me to lost/stolen phone dept. Another 7 min hold.... David answered with Customer Care dept. After re-explaining the problem and being Re-ID’d, he gave number for stolen device specialty team: ****. I hung up and called.

1553 hours- The Global fraud management recording answered. The phone-tree there kept sending me back to general customer service line. Saying “representative” over and over to the computer finally allowed me to talk to Fraud rep "rayshauna" or something. They couldn’t help, since they only handle ID theft. She sent me back to Premier # ***. After several disconnects, I actually had to take notes and write down "hit 2, 2, enter ph#, 1, 2, 0” to get through the phone tree and speak to someone.

1600-1619 hours: On hold, again. Jane answered at Premier at 1619 hours. Verified again. Jane needed 13 more min to read my whole file, before she could talk to me or help me. I sat in silence for that entire 13 minutes, and listened to her mumble as she read allowed to herself. I asked for a supervisor after twice asking Jane if there were any reserve iPhones that could be shipped faster than 35-40 days. She couldn't answer me, and I told her that the only reason I was calling was to see if “reserve units” existed or not. I kept saying, if they have reserved units, I want to order one. If not, I want to cancel the whole order. She mostly ignored the questions and kept reading. I again asked for a supervisor, and was put on hold.

1634-1700 hours: Waiting for Premier supervisor. After 25 minutes on hold, I hung up. That was another wasted hour (1600-1700). 

1701 hours- Called back premier. On hold again. After 11 minutes on hold, call failed again. Called back.

1732: Call disconnected again! Got Joshua *** at 1754 finally. He said he didn't know if there was "reserve units". Got a little short with me when I asked him not to transfer me to lost/stolen phones, and I said I already spoke to them. His attitude was the worst of all the reps to this point, I got upset, and just told him to I cancel my order totally.

1933: Next I started with FEDEX again. Was told to call claims/trace dept and ask for Mona tomorrow. The battle continues. 

Total time wasted today: 6 hours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, the point of the story is this: I want satisfaction. A phone shipped faster than 45 days, or a release from my family plan contract so I can go to another carrier, or some compensation for having to wait 2 months for an iPhone I should have had last week! Come on ATT! What have I stayed with you 8 years for?!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I don't understand why att is requiring me to pay 900 something bucks for something that I never received. It's not fair that I get stuck with a bill and someone else gets to enjoy my phone! I've called FedEx I've called att several times without a resolution. I will not pay for something I never received! And I will not catch a heart attack over a phone company that doesn't care! I hate att! Their reps are never on the same page a different answer from everyone transferred nonstop! I'm DONE!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Hello all. So I originally wrote this thread in Oct 2014. Here we are 2-years later and I'm still mad. Just thought I'd share 2 updates: 1- I'm not out of contract on my phone, and I signed up for sprint this week (bye att). 2-  Enjoy!

[Editedto comply with Guidelines: Legal Discussion]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Wow, I am just another person with the same problem.  

Too bad I'm locked in a contract.  They conveniently lost the phones I mailed to them and now I'm out $1300 on the switcher credit, have to file a police report, try to file a claim with homeowners insurance. But I can't help thinking this is not right.  Been working on this since July!  

Time lost... can't even keep track, out $1300,  The reps at the store in Grand Junction, CO on 6&50 were defensive and useless as they stood around with no customers in the store and told me what I should have done. NO ONE WILL OWN THIS PROBLEM AND RESOLVE IT FOR ME! 

I can't help but feel like I've been scammed out of the switcher credit.  If I mailed the phones back with the return label they provided how am at fault and have to carry the burden of the missing phones?  Can't they track that?  It was 3 months before they could even tell me that the box came to them with only 1 phone... conveniently not the 2 other iPhones I sent as well.

I am going to continue to dig and legal rep if I have to.  This problem is happening to so many others.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

8 years ago

@sarah613.  Do you have receipts for mailing the phones?   Per the directions they had to be dropped of at the USPS to get a receipt.   

Have you been able to track the phones?

If you can prove they were mailed, prove they were received on ATT's end, then you have recourse to force the reimbursement.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@sarah613 wrote:

If I mailed the phones back with the return label they provided how am at fault and have to carry the burden of the missing phones?  Can't they track that?

Can't you track it?

What do they say when you show them the reciept that shows you mailed it?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

There is no showing anyone anything. It's all over the phone. Basically too bad too sad.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@sarah613 wrote:
There is no showing anyone anything. It's all over the phone. Basically too bad too sad.

I don't know "It's all over the phone" means?

Do you have a tracking number?

Do you have a receipt from when you dropped it off?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Same exact thing happened to me. I received a phone from them via FedEx. I returned it via FedEx the next day.  FedEx admitted that they lost it. It has been 4 months now and I have called both FedEx and AT&T one to 2 times a week to just to be passed around over and over again and explain everything and it all takes hours every time!. They know whole story if they just look! but I have to keep telling them to dig deeper into my records to see that FedEx has admitted fault and they keep telling me that AT&T needs to file a claim with them, not me!. But AT&T keeps telling me that I need to do it.  I can't,!  because I never opened the box for the return label.  I simply returned to sender and so it was still AT&T's tracking number used  for the return, and so the systems shows  AT&T as the sender, meaning that THEY need to be filing to get the money for the lost phone. In the mean time, the new phone has been on my bill all this time and they refuse to remove the charge. I am on the verge of losing my account even tho I have always paid my bill on time till now, and I don't have the 600 to pay for a phone that was lost.  The tracking info shows I last received it. Anyway 4 months and I still keep calling, they keep telling me that they are investigating and for me to call back next week. I do and it's the same thing again. Over and over and over and the charge is still there. They refuse to allow me to speak with a superior and so I have made up my mind that when all is said and done, I am going with another company. AT&T are heartless criminals and NOBODY should ever get service through them. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.