The new iPhone 14
LynneMarie's profile

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, March 6th, 2022 2:35 AM

Apple Watch

Do you need a data/talk/text plan for an Apple watch? Will it work with just the iPhone ?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

2.8K Messages

11 months ago

AT&T sells the GPS+Cellular that requires the watch plan to be added. You need to purchase the Apple GPS model from Apple  or some other store. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

11 months ago

The Apple Watch costs $10 per month for the "line". The watch phone number is used for billing purposes and as a placeholder. Meaning that the phone number assigned can not be used to make/place calls because all of those calls go thru your cell phone number and then to the Watch.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

11 months ago

I've had an Apple Watch since the first generation, I've never gotten the cellular version.  It works fine through my phone's cellular data and my local WiFi.

A more expensive watch (for cellular version) and the $10 a month plus fees/taxes ($3-$5?) is NOT worth it in my opinion.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

11 months ago

I too have a tethered Apple Watch, not the freebird kind. I have my iPhone with me 99% of the time when I'm out and about and I can talk to my wrist anytime I want to. The extra cost for the phone and the extra $10 per month is not worth it to me.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

11 months ago

Also:

The watch is generally smart enough to connect to WiFi networks I've connected my phone to. So if I leave my phone at my desk or in my coat at work, and walk the mile to the other end of the building, I can stay connected.  Same as at home, if I leave the phone in my bedroom on the 4th floor, if I go down to the garage, I can still be connected to the phone via the WiFi.

Once in a while, I notice it's not connected to the WiFi and I have to pick it from the settings and it reconnects.  That seems to be rare though. 

• 

2 Messages

11 months ago

Thank you! I greatly appreciate your help. 

kevink

ACE - Scholar

• 

611 Messages

11 months ago

As others have mentioned, there is the Wi-Fi Apple watch, and a cellular Apple Watch.  If you don't have a plan for the cellular watch, it can be used the same as the Wi-Fi one, connecting through your phone for data/voice.

I'm thinking or switching back to a postpaid ATT plan so I can get cellular support for my Apple watch.  Mostly for emergency use, if necessary.  Or the ability to just leave my phone in a safe spot if in areas I risk breaking/losing the phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.