Apple Watch Not Working, need help troubleshooting your wearable device?
Not receiving text messages, calls, or unable to make calls.
If you’re having issues with your Apple Watch, try restarting it first. You can also unpair your Apple Watch and then pair it again. These quick troubleshooting steps can correct many issues with your wearable device.
Restart your Apple Watch
- Press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider.
- Drag the slider to turn off your device.
- After your watch turns off, press and hold the side button again until you see the Apple logo.
Force restart your Apple Watch
Don’t force restart your Apple Watch if you're updating watchOS. After you see the Apple logo and progress wheel on your Apple Watch, leave your Apple Watch alone until the update finishes. You should force restart your device as a last resort and only if it's not responding. To force restart your Apple Watch, press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo.
Unpair you Apple Watch and iPhone
In some cases, you might need to unpair your devices. For example, if you want to use your watch with a different iPhone, you need to unpair first.
Disconnect your devices
- Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together as you unpair them.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Go to the My Watch tab and tap your watch at the top of the screen.
- Tap info icon next to the watch that you want to unpair.
- Tap Unpair Apple Watch.
- Tap again to confirm. You might need to enter your Apple ID password to disable Activation Lock. Before erasing all content and settings on your Apple Watch, your iPhone will create a new backup of your Apple Watch. You can use the backup to restore a new Apple Watch. After your Apple Watch unpairs, you'll see the Start Pairing message.
- Use these steps to set up your Apple Watch again.
Make sure Number Sync is setup
- Pair your watch via the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Open the Watch app to start the pairing process and follow the prompts.
- Select Set up Cellular button.
- Enter your AT&T Access ID and Password. This should be the Access ID that is associated with your iPhone number. For assistance with your Access ID, visit Manage the wireless number for your AT&T Access ID
- When you place a 911 call using your watch, the call will go over the cellular network when possible. If no cellular network is available, device location data from nearby Wi-Fi networks will be used to help locate you. If that data isn’t available, the address you provide will be used.
- Make sure to check the box and read the Important Information for NumberSync on the 911 screen.
- Select Verify Address.
- On Sync requested screen, you should see a message indicating NumberSync should be available shortly. Select Ok.
- Follow prompts to finish setting up your watch.
For more information, check out our Number Sync article.
Jared, AT&T Community Specialist
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.