Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
bruceb's profile
bruceb
#1 Star!
Helpful 1
10th stratosphere!

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Sat, Jan 2, 2021 3:06 PM

Will AT&T Uverse customers be getting the Discovery Plus?

Will AT&T Uverse customers be getting the Discovery Plus Channel

and will it be included in the U300 package ? ... Thank you

ACE - Expert

• 

23.1K Messages

2 y مضت

@baseballisback   Good grief, yes!  😬

• 

1 Message

2 y مضت

Sorry, I don't understand.  We used to watch Ghost Adventures and Fixer Upper (for example) and we still can on travel & HGTV, but they're the old ones.  All new episodes are on Discovery plus.  So, I m not getting the same programming as before Discovery Plus rolled out.  Do we just have to subscribe to Discovery + to get the new episdodes?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.1K Messages

2 y مضت

Same with Dr. Pimplepopper.  Her show has been moved to Discovery+.

This decision was NOT made by any provider (ie. AT&T) but was made by DISCOVERY.  If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at DISCOVERY.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.8K Messages

2 y مضت

Do we just have to subscribe to Discovery + to get the new episdodes?

Exactly.  Well, you do if you want them when they first come out.  I'm sure they'll eventually run them on the channel they would originally have appeared on if Discovery+ hadn't been created.

AT&T buys the channels that Discovery provides and Discovery gets to decide what that content is.  Next time they're up for retransmit, AT&T can try to make the argument that their customers aren't getting the same value that they used to and they're not worth as much (especially if backed up by Nielson Research data). 

That's the main danger in this play that I see for the content makers who are launching streaming services, that they'll injure the value of their channels to the video providers (e.g. DIRECTV, DISH, Comcast, etc.).

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

6.4K Messages

2 y مضت

I suppose time will tell.

While it's *possible* that The Mandalorian could run on a TV channel like DISNEY XD or ABC some day, it's highly unlikely.

Could "The Flight Attendant" run on regular HBO many years from now? Time will tell.

Again, take your argument to the programmer. AT&T merely provides what they're offered.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.8K Messages

2 y مضت

Did "The Flight Attendant" get better?  I watched the first two episodes and I just lost interest.

Note that Star Trek: Discovery opened exclusively on CBS All Access in Fall 2018.  They started running the first season on CBS stations in Fall 2020.  

I could certainly see Star Trek: Lower Decks hopping to Nickelodeon in a year or two.

• 

1 Message

2 y مضت

I hate to tell you that shows I’ve watched every year is now appearing exclusively on the discovery+ channel. On ID they are now showing nothing but reruns 3 days a week. And advertising the new seasons of the shows I’ve been watching for years exclusively on Discovery+. It’s not right, and I can’t believe AT&T would let them get away with that. There are many people who are not happy about it.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.8K Messages

2 y مضت

@DanelleGibson , just as you have no say as to the particular channels, AT&T has no say as to the particular content on the channels.  DIRECTV is in the same boat as Xfinity, Spectrum, Dish, etc. in that regard.

As I said earlier, the only card AT&T has to play in this is to try to pay them less in the next contract negotiation, if Neilson can back up the assertion that viewership is falling due to the content moving out to the streaming service.

ACE - Professor

• 

6.4K Messages

2 y مضت

@JefferMC 

And in that situation, it's possible that Discovery pulls their networks. Of course, they'll blame AT&T.

The ironic thing there would be that the new shows would be on Discovery+ and anyone who wanted to watch could just pay Discovery directly.

...which could be an interesting end-game to eventually leave a ton of TV providers and just collect money directly.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.8K Messages

2 y مضت

I think we're headed that way, but while everyone thought that would make TV cheaper for them, I think they're going to find out it won't.  When Discovery+ only gets 5% of the viewers that they were getting paid for by the Pay TV providers (because of its inclusion in larger packages) they're going to need to charge 20 times as much to make the same money.  Discovery isn't even in the top 24 most expensive channels (see https://variety.com/vip/pay-tv-true-cost-free-1234810682/) so I don't see their rate here, but this article makes some very interesting points about this topic.

ACE - Professor

• 

6.4K Messages

2 y مضت

Agreed.

The companies can make absolute bank by charging everyone $6-10 (say) as opposed to just charging people who watch those shows.

And how many people would pay $20 for Discovery Plus? I watch an occasional House Hunters, but how much would I pay for 1-2 episodes?

Even then, it might be easier to cancel vs a package that costs $90 with 200 channels. Sure, you're paying $40 or so per month for the 2-4 apps, but you can also play revolving door if you don't take a long-term deal. What percentage of Netflix's base only subscribes to binge shows? Now I'm hearing that some people may sign up with a free email only to binge shows.

Look at the movie channels. HBO charges a few people...but they charge $15 or even $25 for HBO and Cinemax.

With that regard, if you don't care about watching shows when they premiere, well... Some shows end up on Disney+, but you're waiting a while.

Still, give me my streaming to complement my U-Verse. I think traditional TV providers aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.1K Messages

2 y مضت

Discovery+ is one of the cheaper streaming services at $4.99 w/commercials, $6.99 w/o.

CBS All Access is $5.99, $9,99 w/o but they have a wider range or offerings.

Peacock TV is free but the content is very limited.  Full access is $4.99, $9.99 w/o commercials but like the others you can get an annual subscription with a discount.

Customers have to look long and hard to determine if it's worth the price for what they are getting.

ACE - Professor

• 

6.4K Messages

2 y مضت

Hi @HopeMcCloud 

This is a customer-to-customer forum. It is not official help in any capacity. In addition, you have posted in the U-Verse forum. We cannot help you with DirecTV concerns. Please look carefully where you post threads.

I can tell you that DirecTV has no control over content shown on any channel.

I would highly recommend calling DirecTV with your billing concerns.

As I do not have DirecTV (never have, probably never will), I cannot help you further.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

29.8K Messages

2 y مضت

The DIRECTV and U-verse TV forums are right next to each other.  The services both I think have a regular time where all rates change.  For U-verse it's in January, I don't know about DIRECTV.  The timing of any change in your rates and the creation of Discovery+ is just an annoying coincidence.  

ACE - Professor

• 

6.4K Messages

2 y مضت

Oh and IDK about The Flight Attendant. I just used that as an example of a new show premiering on a new streaming service.

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.