ifonly01's profile

Teacher

• 

47 Messages

Monday, July 3rd, 2023 1:39 PM

Closed

WGN and other terminated channels owned by Nexstar

Discovered last night that Uverse took away WGN. I am disgusted. Can't even find a link to view the current announcement of channel changes. Cost keeps going up, yet number of channels provided keeps decreasing. I give up.

Observer

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

So if you came to an agreement with Nexstar in 2019. Then why we being punished for your mistake. I want my local channel back. 

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Channel update

ACE - New Member

• 

144 Messages

They may have come to an agreement in 2019 but that agreement ended this year and are trying to renegotiate so that you can continue to have the channels that you like.  They are not trying to punish anyone they are trying to keep costs low so that we the customers do not have to pay an outrageous increase in price.  Most of us do not want to keep paying more and more for the same channels.  All paid TV providers go through this if you cannot live without your channel then you could always try an over-the-air antenna the channels are broadcast for free and there are no disputes with an antenna.  Also, It was not AT&T that removed your channel(s) it was Nexstar the owner to try and get AT&T to pay more money to get them back.

I AM NOT an employee of AT&T and this is a public customer-to-customer forum. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

8 months ago

WJW Fox 8 in Cleveland has been out of the channel line up for weeks. Although Direct TV/UVerse says they are "negotiating," those of us that pay for and like this station have been out of luck while they diddle. Football season is here and local Fox carries many of the best games. ATT says they're protecting us from price increases, but how much can one channel charge? Just an excuse to jack already high rates and put it to their customers once again. We are due a bill credit for all the days we haven't been getting the promised service. And, they better get this fixed STAT or many will switch to a more reliable service.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled WJW Fox 8 in Cleveland Unavailable for Weeks

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

You can apply for a one time credit of $10.  I just got mine.

Next….get an OTA antenna to watch your Fox affiliate.

Shoutout to everyone who can remember their childhood phone number but can't remember the password they created yesterday.  You are my people.  😊

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

I would complain to Nexstar. They are the ones who pulled their network feed when AT&T wouldn't capitulate to their unreasonably high carriage fees demands. Nexstar owns about 190 affiliate stations across the country so they can just sit on their offer and wait it out. Your rates will be going up next year but they will go up higher if AT&T gives in.

Carriage fee negotiations happen to ALL providers, about every 3 years, so something like this will happen sooner or later no matter who you switch to. OTA (Over The Air) reception with an antenna and your tv's built-in tuner (hopefully it's ATSC 3.0) is really the way to go as previously mentioned.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

What they said...but I was able to get a lot more than $10 off. It all depends what mojo you have.

How much can one channel charge? Nexstar wants double of what they were getting... greedy SOBs.

7 Messages

8 months ago

For those of you that have said Uverse isn’t cable, what does that even matter? The technology of how that service is coming into my house and displaying on my TV is irreverent to the whole point of this thread, unless I’m missing something here. I used the word “cable” as a generic term, so to me the service I have with ATT is still cable-like.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 months ago

@maggiesvineyard  The point is, unless you get your tv stations OTA, Nexstar has removed the local affiliate stations in your area that they own until AT&T gives in to their demands. So, you are correct. It doesn't matter. Cable, fiber, satellite, IPTV is all subject to carrier agreements because you're getting your tv via a provider agreement.  OTA (Over The Air, antenna reception) is not.

Carriage agreements are typically in place for 3-5 years depending on the affiliate owner, the provider, and the contact terms.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 months ago

I misused the word “cable” as a generic term

FTFY.

The problem is the use of the word "cable" to mean "Television Service."  "cable" doesn't mean "Television Service."  "Cable TV" has been used, improperly, as an expansion of the abbreviation CATV, which means Common Antenna Television, where television signal is transmitted in broadband to a community from a common source, or antenna.  "Cable" is a lazy way of saying "Cable TV" or "CATV" and doesn't apply to U-verse at all. U-verse is Internet Protocol Television, it is transmitted over a packet switched network.  It is not CATV.  It is a Television Service or a Video Service.

Misuse of "cable" to mean things that are not bothers some people more than others.  Some people say Frisbee instead of Flying Disc when talking about one made by a company other than Wham-o.  Some people still say Frigidaire when referring to a refrigerator sold by someone else.  I have a little less of an issue with these than saying you have "AT&T Wi-Fi" instead of saying you have "AT&T Internet Service." 

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

8 months ago

It makes me wonder if we'll see a time when people refer to DirecTV Stream as "cable."

After all, they're paying for a bunch of channels that come into their house on a wire, are they not? And in some of these cases, the wire may be a black circular wire.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

8 months ago

@JefferMC 

Here's a few more examples:

"increase their focus on educational programming. This factor, however, alongside the growth of platforms not subject to the rules, such as cable channels (including Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulations_on_children%27s_television_programming_in_the_United_States

Follow that link and find this:

Cable television networks have since then revived the practice of debuting their most popular animated programming on Saturday and Sunday mornings on a sporadic basis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television

The way-underused term "pay TV" is so much better, especially when these channels are widely available without cable.

(edited)

2 Messages

8 months ago

I’m an AT&T customer. I have U/verse. I used to watch NewsNation on 1180. The channel is shut down due to a conflict with Nexstar. It’s been months! Do I have to go to another provider?

Elizabeth

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled NewsNation

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

Nexstar and AT&T are still in carriage agreement negotiations. Nexstar pulled their network feed, not AT&T, to force AT&T to meet their demands. So far, neither side has given in. This happens every couple of years to ALL providers when the station owners want to be paid more money from the provider to carry their stations. It's up to you whether you want to switch to another provider or not.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

All providers go through negotiations.

As a matter of fact, Spectrum just got into a dispute with Disney (Disney AND ESPN channels) and this could be a long one. Apparently Spectrum wants a package without ESPN channels...which Disney doesn't want AND Spectrum also wants Disney+ included in their TV packages.

If you switch, you cannot come back to U-Verse. You could also lose any other benefits such as Max or whatever promotional pricing you have.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

@baseballisback  Yeah, I saw the report of the Spectrum (Charter) carriage agreement negotiations with Disney the other day. That's going to be a mess for those folks being as football is about to start and the WS is coming up soon.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

Does ESPN show any MLB playoffs other than maybe 1-2 early round games? Of course they have all the coverage.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

That seems to change from season to season. Baseball might not be impacted that much but football, college and professional, as well as other sports will be. Of course they will also be losing local ABC affiliate stations as well.

8 Messages

8 months ago

ATT has blocked ABC for months and we still have no ABC channel available. Restore ABC to your customers or we will have to change providers. If we can’t get a main channel, then ATT isn’t worth what we pay each month. 

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled No ABC Available

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

Without knowing your location or the affiliate station you are referring to, we can only assume that the station is part of the Nexstar standoff.

Nexstar is in broadcast negotiations with ATT.  This happens with all TV providers and all media owners. https://about.att.com/story/2019/att_nexstar_joint_statement.html

You can get a ONE TIME $10 credit if you are affected.  Go to tvpromise.com and follow the prompts.

Shoutout to everyone who can remember their childhood phone number but can't remember the password they created yesterday.  You are my people.  😊

8 Messages

We live in Clarksville TN area 

8 Messages

We want the service we signed up for - not a token refund. 

• 

54 Messages

You could use the $10 credit to pay for a month of ESPN+. Or you could get a free trial of YouTubeTV for 21 days.

8 Messages

How about I forego the credit and get the services I already paid ATT for 

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

7 months ago

When will ATT uVerse start crediting my account for removing 2 out of my 3 local channels for 3 months ?

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Missing local channels

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

AT&T will give a one-time credit if you request it.

Visit https://www.att.com/tvpromise to learn how to, and claim, the credit.

Technically speaking, Nexstar is withholding permission for AT&T (technically actually DIRECTV) to rebroadcast their content due to the previous agreement expiring.  Nexstar has elected "retransmission consent" (i.e. getting paid) vs "must carry" (which would force DIRECTV to carry their programming).

[ Be advised that you've posted on a community forum primarily peopled by other customers.  I am not an AT&T Employee.  An AT&T Customer Support rep may or may not ever reply to your post. ]

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

I understand that you can apply for a $10 credit but that's it.

AT&T didn't remove your channels, Nexstar (the affiliate owner) did. They pull their network feeds if the carriage fee negotiations don't go their way and they don't get everything they are asking from the provider, which in this case is AT&T. Nexstar owns something like 190 affiliate stations across the country so they are the big boys when it comes to owning the local network affiliate stations. They can afford to wait. If AT&T gives in, your rates will eventually go higher than they normally will.

All providers go thru this eventually when it comes time to re-negotiate the carriage fee contracts. Some negotiators take longer than others but it does come to everyone sooner or later. I think the contracts term for 3 or 4 years and then it starts all over again.

If you read your TOS, the providers, all of them, guarantee the service but they don't guarantee specific channels, for this and other reasons.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

They would have you believe that you can simply put up an antenna that people have not put up or fixed in years. If I wanted to receive local programs I would have kept my antenna up but I removed it 15 years go, because I was Promised my local channels on cable and ATT charges a separate fee and they are not providing them as promised. I only receive 2 local channels instead of four. This action has been going on for months and must stop. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

@Knuckle-Draqger  Let me repeat myself, If you read your TOS, the providers, all of them, guarantee the service but they don't guarantee specific channels, for this and other reasons.

On a slightly more positive note, I just read that Nexstar and AT&T are getting close to an agreement so it may be over soon. However, depending on the final agreement, your fees will more than likely be going up by next year to cover the re-negotiated carriage fees.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

I was Promised my local channels on cable and ATT charges a separate fee and they are not providing them as promised.

Nowhere are you “promised” any channel, local or otherwise.

and what do you mean by ATT charges a separate fee?  What fee for what?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.