Mentor

• 

67 Messages

Sun, May 29, 2016 8:13 PM

Watching AT&T U-verse Online

I've a question concerning the webpage titled:

Live TV Online - Watch Free Streaming TV | AT&T U-verse - Mozilla Firefox

@ http://uverse.com/uv/live

It's my understanding that when I use a browser ( Firefox ) on a system that's connected to my AT&T U-verse supplied Internet connection ( Max Turbo ) that I should be able to select one of the "Live" channels displayed there and that channel would then be opened and displayed. What happens is I get a little black square with an eternally spinning circle of bars like something is trying to load. I've tried lots of channels labeled live and they all do the same thing. Am I doing, or expecting, something wrong?

Responses

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

4 years ago

@wilcalint    Do you have any script blockers or add ons blockers, running an MVPS Hosts file, or Disconnect Me, have to be disabled or whitelisted to get things to work. Smiley Surprised

Edit:  Had to enable Java for it to run properly and it did.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

wilcalint

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

> mibrnsurg said: Edit: Had to enable Java for it to run properly and it did.

OOoOOoo Evil.... you better believe it Browser Java's not installed on this system/browser. So U-verse Online runs on Browser Java. Why did AT&T ever make that decision? Wow! Anyway I gotta try this in a Vbox client to see how it works and then decide if I want to do this at all. FWIW none of these work here, on purpose:

https://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
http://javatester.org/version.html
http://www.test-java.com/
https://www.cis.upenn.edu/~matuszek/General/JavaVersionTests/JavaTests.html

wilcalint

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

Oh No! Does this thing need Microsoft Silverlight too? I can use icedtea to simulate Java and once that's in it asks for Silverlight.

wilcalint

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

A little more tinkering seems that at a minimum U-verse Online uses/used Microsoft Silverlite ( a dead technology ) as a fall back or it is integrated into the platform. How horrible. I'll continue to post here as I investigate this some more.

wilcalint

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

A deeper dive into this today. Understand the platforms under test here are two. A Mageia Linux 5 x86-64 KDE and a 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Both as a VirtualBox Client. Firefox 46.0.1 Browser. Initially neither have any plugins installed in Firefox. Website under test is:

http://www.uverse.com/live

So using the site it will ask for various plugins to be install to make it operational. First requested plug-in is Flash. Do remember that Flash anything these days is the devil. Last update a few weeks ago fixed over 80 vulnerabilities. Even Adobe is getting away from Flash because of all of this. Second plug-in requested is Microsoft Silverlight. A now dead technology. So for me in order to view something on the above website requires this installation of a horribly vulnerable plugin and top that off with a dead technology. I'm sure things are different on an Android and iPhone but for me using Uverse Live is unattainable because of the risks and the dead proprietary technology. If someone can show a better light on this I'm more then open to listen.

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

4 years ago

@wilcalint  Your assumption about Silverlight is wrong, still in use.

This from Amazon:

If you use a browser that does not support our HTML5 player (FF not listed), you can access Amazon Video content by installing or activating Microsoft Silverlight. Silverlight is a browser plugin used to play Amazon Video content on Firefox, Safari, and some versions of Internet Explorer.

The minimum supported version of Silverlight is 5.1. To install the latest version, go to Microsoft Silverlight. You'll typically see an on-screen installation or activation prompt if Silverlight is required for your browser

Tip: If you're having trouble activating Silverlight, check to make sure that your browser's Add-ons or Plugin preferences aren't set to "Never Activate" Silverlight. To access Silverlight from your browser, you may need to change these settings to "Ask to Activate" or "Always Activate."

Might even be true w/Netflix for FF users llike this too and is for uverse online. 😉

Chris

wilcalint

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

mibrnsurg said:

> If you use a browser that does not support our HTML5 player.......

Firefox 46.0.1 does support HTML 5. YouTube videos play just fine without the need of a plugin.

> you can access Amazon Video content by installing or activating Microsoft Silverlight

What you are suggesting here is the installation of a dead proprietary technology that even Microsoft no longer supports

wilcalint

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

Do note that Uverse/live runs just fine on my Samsung smartphone. What's under discussion here is doing the same with a Browser on a "PC" platform.

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

4 years ago

@wilcalint wrote:

mibrnsurg said:

> If you use a browser that does not support our HTML5 player.......

Firefox 46.0.1 does support HTML 5. YouTube videos play just fine without the need of a plugin.

> you can access Amazon Video content by installing or activating Microsoft Silverlight

What you are suggesting here is the installation of a dead proprietary technology that even Microsoft no longer supports

Then don't see anything on uverse online w/that attitude.  If it's so dead, why does that link above still work and tell me I have it installed and would give you the download? Smiley Surprised Smiley Frustrated

Edit:  FF 46.0.1 will not play the HTML5 player at Amazon, IE and Chrome will.  The question is not about HTML5, but Silverlight.

Chris

wilcalint

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

mibrnsurg said:

> Edit: FF 46.0.1 will not play the HTML5 player at Amazon, IE and Chrome will. The question is not about HTML5, but Silverlight.

My/our Firefox Browsers have been able to support HTML5 web content since at least version 38. That means to most people playing YouTube videos without the need for a Flash plugin. As I've stated, Silverlight is universally understood to be obsolete and dead. No one is developing for it anymore not even Microsoft. I see AT&T promoing "Uverse anywhere". I support that but I think this little part of their system is kinda falling behind. I suspect that it was developed before HTML5 became available and that's why we see the Flash/Silverlight/Java mashup in there. HTML5 is clearly a better solution for this. Also we saw AT&T purchasing DirectTV and getting away from an STB ( Set Top Box ). The Uverse Live service is clearly a move in that direction.

Here's a challenge. I've a Raspberry Pi:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/

Onto that OS I can install Firefox ( called Ice Weasel ), or use it's native Browser called Epiphany, and view HTML5 YouTube videos at 1920x1080 all day long without a problem. No plugins needed. And that's kinda where all this started for me. Can I get Uverse Live to run on that platform. After all they say it runs ( almost ) anywhere. If that can work then we have a $35 "STB" solution for Uverse TV.

wilcalint

Mentor

• 

67 Messages

4 years ago

Looks like native support for HTML5 on Firefox came on Version 37. That was released on 2015-03-31. So that was likely long after AT&T Uverse Live was developed. Smiley Sad

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

While it's technically not a solution, this workaround of using Wine to install the Windows version of Firefox & Flash did the trick for me.  It'd be better if it actually worked natively in Linux, but it is passable for the time being as far as I'm concerned. 

Get started...

Ask a new question