Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

baseballisback

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

a month ago

Each piece of equipment from AT&T (or really, any provider) has a serial number. When these boxes get plugged in to the service, they "phone home" to make sure they're at the right address.

The older equipment would work maybe for a day or two or until the provider sent out a signal. If the return signal didn't "phone home" as being at the right address or it didn't match up as the right address, the box would turn off.

Years ago, I found a standard-definition cable box. It worked for a few days...until that signal was sent out.

Modern boxes won't even turn on. At best, you'd get a constantly spinning circle next to the AT&T logo or maybe some sort of error message.

Not to mention the VIP 1200s are hideously obsolete and would be so slow that you wouldn't want to use it, even if AT&T sent it to you.

Your best bet would be just to call it in to AT&T and ask them to send you a return label.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

15.7K Messages

a month ago

That property belongs to AT&T and as such would be considered stolen.

(edited)

I've reached that age where my brain went from "You probably shouldn't say that"

...to...

"What the heck, let's see what happens."

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question