For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.
Streaming Apps: Troubleshooting and Tips
Let’s be real. Everyone is streaming apps to watch their favorite shows and movies these days. We all do. It is a big part of our digital lives! We want to share a few things with you that will improve your streaming experience.
When you stream, we recommend a plan that will support streaming. 6mbps and above are recommended.
Run a Speed Test to test your connection:
- Test hardwired if possible - Hardwired is not as susceptible to outside interferences as wireless. Speed tests should matchup with your plan.
- Test with a single active device - Extra devices consume the shared bandwidth.
- Test each device - Not all devices operate the same.
- Test your distance - Wireless weakens over distance. Test in different parts of your home.
- If connecting wireless, there are several things that can be done to improve the signal, such as:
- Reducing the number of devices - The more devices connected, the slower speeds can be.
- Updating your plan - Have extra bandwidth to compensate for X-factors (additional devices, streams requiring more bandwidth).
- Scan for viruses.
- Close all programs you are not using.
- Clear your browser’s cache/cookies.
- Make sure the Network Adapter is functioning properly (updated drivers).
- Disable hardware acceleration for older computers/internet devices.
- Reduce internet device’s memory usage to have memory available for streaming.
If you have trouble with the HBO GO app, ESPN or other network provided apps, the above information may help. We recommend contacting that network to troubleshoot further.
Note: In some instances, the servers the content is on can be an issue. For example, some videos on YouTube may stream fine while others take time to load. Also, some streaming services like Netflix may stream great while another streaming service may not. This is an item beyond AT&T's control. Test your speeds, if they are with testing parameters, this issue may lie with that streaming service. If you plan is not meeting the plan requirements, check out the Improve Slow Speed section of Wi-Fi Troubleshooting Hub.
If you have any issues concerning your streaming application, please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, your internet plan, wired & wireless tests, and let us know how many devices are connected at one-time.
AT&T Customer Care
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp