boogie7896's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, April 26th, 2015 10:59 PM

Closed

Picture on new TV

I just got a new Samsung 4kUHD set and the picture goes on and off. It is connected to the box with a HDMI cable.  I thought it might be the cable so I swapped it out last night and it seem to have fixed it.  Turned it on today and it is doing the same thing again. The longer it stays on the longer the time between black screens.

I have rebooted the box and the modem. Any ideas?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

It does sound like an HDMI problem - The TV produces an HDCP signal that says it is not a recording device. If the STB does not see that signal it shuts of the video.

There are a number of things you can play with to see if you can make it work.. But, the sure fire fix is to change to component cables. Does your TV have component input?

Samsung may come up with a sftware update to make it work if they get a lot of complaints.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

It only has HDMI connections.  Thanks for the suggestion

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

I was afraid of that Here's what to try with the HDMI -

Try every HDMI port.

Try a shorter cable. How long is the one you have? get the shortest you can at monoprice.com.

The u-verse remote turns on the STB first. Try turning on the TV first. Turn on the TV with the TV remote. Then turn on the STB with the OK button.

If that works, the remote can be programmed - att/ok-977-TV-att-enter. If you need more delay att/ok-977-TV-DVR-AUX-att-enter.

I belive there are composite to HDMI converters. If these other things do not work & you want to try a converter, I will look it up.

Here is component to HDMI - https://sewelldirect.com/Midas---Component-to-HDMI-Mini-Converter-with-Upscaling-technology.asp

While I was looking that up I was reminded of an HDMI splitter that may provide a stronger HDCP signal to u-verse if placed close to the TV - https://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-HDMI-1x2-Splitter-v13b.asp?ad_source=GoogleAdWords&ad_medium=PPC&ad_term=HDMI%20+splitter&ad_campaign=53983803&ad_group=2074889043&ad_network=search&ad_creative=7153161963&gclid=CKe_ir2ii6gCFUiK4AoduEbyCQ

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

9 years ago

I just went to the Samsung web site and brought up the specifications  manual for the Samsung 4kUHD.  You didn't say which one you have but the spec sheet indicates that this series of TV should have 4 HDMI ports and at least ONE component input set.  So the advice to switch to compnent is a good one.  There are some of us who believe we get better black rendition with component connections than we do with HDMI.  So picture should be just as sharp......perhaps better....with component connection.  A component cable with three conductors will have red, blue & green colored connectors on each end.  Sometimes a 4th conductor for audio is included in the bundle.  Sometimes the audio cable is separate.

FYI there have been off and on problems with Samsung HDMI compatibility regarding industry standards.  You are not, by any means, the first person to have these headaches

Phil.

Scholar

• 

222 Messages

9 years ago

Connect another HDMI device  (Roku, DVD) to the Samsung and see if the problem goes away.   At least you will be able to prove whether the problem is in the Samsung TV or the Uverse receiver.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Mitch, That logic is a great idea for most cases (ususally one direction connection), but not HDMI. Because HDMI is a two way interface seperately designed to a standard specification.

Each mfgr developed their side to the standard. Some are compatible & some are not. Some have a wide window & some have a narrow  window. The two windows must overlap to work.

You can see some of the factors involved in post 4 that may move one window just enough to overlap the other.

The choice is to try those things or eliminate it altogether & use component. which has a bad rap. Component is fine, maybe even better than HDMI, for u-verse.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Hi Aviewer,

I'm hoping you can help me with my problem too.
(I never had a problem like the one I'm about to explain to you)

After 15 years I switched from DirecTV to ATT Uverse. I have a new problem of not being able to simply switch inputs to access the PS3. Something is wrong... I am using HDMI cables and never had a problem with DirecTV by switching inputs between devices - a simple push of a button was all it took.

1. I have my Pioneer Elite TV set on input 5 for regular TV.
2. I have my PS3 set for input 4. I tried different inputs, but same results.
3. When I touch input 4 the TV turns off.
4. Before I turn the TV back on I have to toggle the ATT and Pioneer remote to get something to react.

I Sought help various ways, but cannot find a definitive answer to this challenge.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.