Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Tutor

 • 

1 Message

Mon, Aug 19, 2013 10:56 PM

Closed

No Al Jazeera

Please do not carry Al Jazeera.  We already have plenty of, so called, news channels that are nothing more than propogandists that sell advertising time.  That last thing the American television landscape needs is to be inundated with the propoganda of Islamic extremists.

Responses

stufried

Guru

 • 

1.1K Messages

6 years ago

I dropped the competing carrier in my town because I was having too many internet problems so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, but I really don't like what is going on and ATT's decisions to engage in viewpoint discrimination bothers me.  The fact that some subscribers might be offended by the content is not grounds to exclude it and despite the corporate excuses, I really believe that ATT is thinking that middle Americans (if there is such a creature) will have a bias against Al Jazeera because of its reporting on 9/11.

 

My position is that I want to hear viewpoints that I don't agree with.  It makes me know what the other side is saying which is always a good thing.  It gives me a better ability to talk intelligently on issues and sometimes they are right!  I am a Jewish and I'd like to hear what they say.  

 

I think that internet providers and cable tv carriers are like common carriers and have a duty to carry messages and viewpoints that they don't agree with.  How would people react if Uverse started blocking access to Verizon.com, Tmobile.com, Comcast.com, etc?  

 

Am I going to leave ATT over the issue?  Probably not, but they definitely lost a lot of points and I think most defections take place because of multiple issues.  

Fox Mulder

Former Employee

 • 

310 Messages

6 years ago


@stufried wrote:

I dropped the competing carrier in my town because I was having too many internet problems so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, but I really don't like what is going on and ATT's decisions to engage in viewpoint discrimination bothers me.  The fact that some subscribers might be offended by the content is not grounds to exclude it and despite the corporate excuses, I really believe that ATT is thinking that middle Americans (if there is such a creature) will have a bias against Al Jazeera because of its reporting on 9/11.

 

My position is that I want to hear viewpoints that I don't agree with.  It makes me know what the other side is saying which is always a good thing.  It gives me a better ability to talk intelligently on issues and sometimes they are right!  I am a Jewish and I'd like to hear what they say.  

 

I think that internet providers and cable tv carriers are like common carriers and have a duty to carry messages and viewpoints that they don't agree with.  How would people react if Uverse started blocking access to Verizon.com, Tmobile.com, Comcast.com, etc?  

 

Am I going to leave ATT over the issue?  Probably not, but they definitely lost a lot of points and I think most defections take place because of multiple issues.  


 

 Were you in the meeting where they had this discussion? If you google, you will find out there are legal issues that have nothing to do with your suspected "viewpoint discrimination"

 

 

dhascall

ACE - Master

 • 

9.8K Messages

6 years ago

Fox: I was not at the negotiating table and I'm sure that stufried was not either.  BUT the timelines on the legal wranglings  did not start happening until after it was clear that AT&T was not going to carry AJA.

 

Stu and myself are stating an opinion - (which we are allowed, right?) that the decision not to carry AJA could be very well based on politics and ideology instead of legal or contractual issues.  After all, they did carry beIN sports, which is under the same umbrella.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
JefferMC

ACE - Expert

 • 

17.2K Messages

6 years ago


@dhascall wrote:

...

Stu and myself are stating an opinion - (which we are allowed, right?) that the decision not to carry AJA could be very well based on politics and ideology instead of legal or contractual issues.  After all, they did carry beIN sports, which is under the same umbrella.


While you said "it is my fear that...", Stu did not frame "but I really don't like what is going on and ATT's decisions to engage in viewpoint discrimination" with "in my opinion" or anything similar; he stated it as fact.

 

It is my opinion that AT&T is working on a profit motive and calculated that the rate they were getting for the channel before the branding change wasn't enough to deal with the public backlash (and potential loss in revenue therefrom), i.e. the content had changed and the value proposition was different.  If AJA had come up with more $$, then it would be on right now.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
dhascall

ACE - Master

 • 

9.8K Messages

6 years ago

I hope that it was a contract dispute and nothing more. Smiley Happy

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
jeremy1069fm

Scholar

 • 

95 Messages

6 years ago

They could easilly have just added the network quietly and nobody would have cared or even noticed except for those who wanted to watch it. Networks quietly get added to the lineup all the time and nobody even notices except for the few that are paying attention. If they stumbled upon one of the newscasts, Consider This, or The Stream, they probably wouldn't even know they were watching Al Jazeera if it wasn't for the logo.

 

Now it's carried on DirecTV, Dish Network, Comcast and Time Warner Cable and people are starting to notice that it's not the boogy man network some people thought it was. 

 

It's not Anti-American (if anything it's Pro-American), there's no bias there (I've never seen a news network stay so neutral on politics) And for the most part, it's actual news and journalism, not a bunch of people screaming at each other over politics. In other words, we're missing out. 

 

Glenn Beck called it "The voice of the enemy", yeah the voice of his enemy. He wanted to buy the Current TV network so he could make his Blaze network available in more areas. Instead, it was sold to Al Jazeera and he is angry. 

 

I'm still waiting. They added it to Time Warner Cable in December. My sister has been recording some VHS tapes of it for me so I could see what it's like. It's really good. I'm not dropping U-Verse for it, but it would be nice if they would carry it. 

 

dhascall

ACE - Master

 • 

9.8K Messages

6 years ago

I agree jeremy.  Quietly or not, there would have been someone complaining, as soon as it were added.   What I gather, the network is fairly neutral - a concept American's don't usually like.  They expect one-sidedness from the Nation's news orgs.  We could always listen to shortwave radio to get differing opinions.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
stufried

Guru

 • 

1.1K Messages

6 years ago

My personal feeling is that as we have had more and more media outlets, our views (as a society) have become more polarized because the networks are doing precision targeting.  If you're conservative you listen to Fox, if you're liberal you listen to MSNBC, and CNN falls in between.  With a television with 600+ channels and car radio (Sirius) with close to 300, I can always find a channel that reaffirms my belief.  In an earlier generation, Cronkite, Reasoner, et cet had to shoot for the middle.  Some might be at the 45% marker, and others at the 55% marker, but they wanted to hover near the center.  We've now seen political candidates who regard the "mainstream media" as irrelevant and work the channels that cater to their base.

 

I find the Al Jazeera's of the world refreshing and I respect their commitment to journalistic integrity.  I know they are not perfect, e.g. I doubt they'd go after the Emir of Qatar, but I think they do a commendable job.  

dhascall

ACE - Master

 • 

9.8K Messages

6 years ago


@stufried wrote:

My personal feeling is that as we have had more and more media outlets, our views (as a society) have become more polarized because the networks are doing precision targeting.  If you're conservative you listen to Fox, if you're liberal you listen to MSNBC, and CNN falls in between.  With a television with 600+ channels and car radio (Sirius) with close to 300, I can always find a channel that reaffirms my belief.  In an earlier generation, Cronkite, Reasoner, et cet had to shoot for the middle.  Some might be at the 45% marker, and others at the 55% marker, but they wanted to hover near the center.  We've now seen political candidates who regard the "mainstream media" as irrelevant and work the channels that cater to their base.

 

I find the Al Jazeera's of the world refreshing and I respect their commitment to journalistic integrity.  I know they are not perfect, e.g. I doubt they'd go after the Emir of Qatar, but I think they do a commendable job.  


Well said!

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

 • 

1 Message

6 years ago

2/3/2014
Just FYI. I will be switching and bundling all my services with ASTOUND where I can get both SUNDANCE and Al JAZEERA.
Sayonara.

dwinth

ACE - Professor

 • 

2.3K Messages

6 years ago


@patrickmonk wrote:

2/3/2014
Just FYI. I will be switching and bundling all my services with ASTOUND where I can get both SUNDANCE and Al JAZEERA.
Sayonara.


What a waste of a first post. Patrickmonk: do you think anyone on this forum cares that you are leaving U-Verse? For the most part, we are subscribers just like you. For your information, U-Verse has Sundance in both SD and HD. I guess you never bothered to check.

 

Good luck with your new provider.

 

Just FYI, I am leaving my office early due to the snow storm we are having now, and I am bundling up due to the cold.

 


 

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
jeremy1069fm

Scholar

 • 

95 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry to see you go.

 

I'm just sticking it out.

 

They're having a battle in court and until that is over with, it's not going to happen. I'm pretty sure with the right settlement or agreement they can get this channel on the lineup. They got BeIN Sport in both English, Spanish, HD and SD. I honestly think they should both sit down at the Dallas office and settle out of court. 

 

If AT&T adds it, like BeIN Sport, they'll get the SD feed, the HD feed (Which has only been on systems that just added the channel) in addition, it'll be available for streaming in the U-Verse apps and on the website, with or without being connected to the home network. That's how they have it going on Time Warner Cable. Time Warner dropped the network itself while it was still Current TV, but re added it back in December.   

dhascall

ACE - Master

 • 

9.8K Messages

6 years ago

I hope that they settle but I bet that this standoff could turn into a Hallmark type one.

 

From what I understand, the court action was taken because of AT&T not following through on carriage.  Having to sue to get someone to do something, usually does not end well.  BUT we can always hope, lol.

 

 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Professor

 • 

3.4K Messages

6 years ago


@dwinth wrote:

@patrickmonk wrote:

2/3/2014
Just FYI. I will be switching and bundling all my services with ASTOUND where I can get both SUNDANCE and Al JAZEERA.
Sayonara.


What a waste of a first post. Patrickmonk: do you think anyone on this forum cares that you are leaving U-Verse? For the most part, we are subscribers just like you. For your information, U-Verse has Sundance in both SD and HD. I guess you never bothered to check.

 

Good luck with your new provider.

 

Just FYI, I am leaving my office early due to the snow storm we are having now, and I am bundling up due to the cold.

 

 


 

 

Well said! It's a shame when they don't even bother to check the lineups they claim to have. If I couldn't find a channel, I'd look at my lineup card or even check the internet instead of threatening to drop a service I didn't have.

 

It's a shame there's no way to verify a customer...maybe do some sort of IP "sniff" so that if it comes back with an AT&T IP address, there's a logo beneath their name? IDK.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
dwinth

ACE - Professor

 • 

2.3K Messages

6 years ago


@baseballisback wrote:

@dwinth wrote:

@patrickmonk wrote:

2/3/2014
Just FYI. I will be switching and bundling all my services with ASTOUND where I can get both SUNDANCE and Al JAZEERA.
Sayonara.


What a waste of a first post. Patrickmonk: do you think anyone on this forum cares that you are leaving U-Verse? For the most part, we are subscribers just like you. For your information, U-Verse has Sundance in both SD and HD. I guess you never bothered to check.

 

Good luck with your new provider.

 

Just FYI, I am leaving my office early due to the snow storm we are having now, and I am bundling up due to the cold.

 

 


 

 

Well said! It's a shame when they don't even bother to check the lineups they claim to have. If I couldn't find a channel, I'd look at my lineup card or even check the internet instead of threatening to drop a service I didn't have.

 

It's a shame there's no way to verify a customer...maybe do some sort of IP "sniff" so that if it comes back with an AT&T IP address, there's a logo beneath their name? IDK.


To me it is inconceivable to leave a provider because of the absence of a very minor player like Al Jazeera America. And then to leave because he is too lazy to check the channel lineup to see that U-Verse does have The Sundance Channel in SD and HD?

 

Al Jazeera America came into being on August 20,2013. This One Post One and Done Wonder, who signed up for the forum just yesterday, came to his conclusions five and a half months after it was announced that Al Jazeera America would not be a part of the U-Verse lineup.

 

I do not believe for a moment that Patrickmonk is a U-Verse subscriber. He is most likely someone who has another provider, and signed up for the forum just to say, "Hey, look at me. I can type!"

 

I dare him to post again to see what his reaction is to reading on this forum that U-Verse does have The Sundance Channel in SD and HD. This guy is long gone.

 


Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

 

 

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.