lwoxen_1's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 7:04 PM

My AT&T wireless receiver keeps losing signal when connecting to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Note that the built in antenna arrangement of most wireless access points (routers, etc) is set up so that the best signal is in a doughnut shape on the horizontal plane the access point sits in, not a sphere as many imagine.  This means that an access on one floor normally will not work well with devices on another unless you can tilt the device to change the plane to intersect the devices on the other floor.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Spoiler
I am having the same issue with my wireless receiver....seems to happen mostly while wacthing DVR stuff. Although it will pause intermittently during live programming for a second or two and then resume. Very frustrating...i changed the channel as suggested in previous posts. Any help getting a new wap would be appreciated.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

tigerhorn - Another possibility for watching recording problems is the connection between the DVR and the RG. Are you an inid/pair bonded install? If not, is the DVR connected to the RG via cat5?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I am not sure what inid/pair bonded install means...I believe the DVr is connected to rg with cat5

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

tigerhorn - Yes, it gets confusing - If the RG is 3800 or 3801 you would not be INID/Pair bonded. That install is for loops beyond normal range & has different equipment.

Since you are cat5, have you tried a whole house reboot. It works for many people.
Pull power on all your devices.
Repower RG, wait for all green,
Repower DVR wait for viewing ability
Repower other STBs & WAPS
Of course, wait til you are not recording an important show to pull the power.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I will try that and report back

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi tigerhorn,

Hopefully, the information that aviewer provided got everything up and running the way it should be. I have noticed that sometimes when my home media server starts having issues, that a simple reboot fixes it. If you are still having issues and need the WAP replaced, I will be sending you a private message so you have a direct contact with our team, so we can assist you further.

-David T

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Whole house reset didn't work...how do I get a new WAP?

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi tigerhorn,

I have received your message and sent one back to you. I look forward to working with you to get this issue resolved.

-David T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hello,

My mine does the same things about 3 times a week. What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,

Parrish

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.