lwoxen_1's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 7:04 PM

My AT&T wireless receiver keeps losing signal when connecting to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Note that it CAN be interference. More and more wireless connections are all around us. Your neighbors have more powerful WAP equipment. I used to get 5 networks in my living room now I get 50. Phones, routers, other people's TVs. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I know this is kind of old; I have a VEN501 unit. the login here doesn't work. What is the default for newer 501 units?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have gone through the same cycle. Call tech support and redo everything the box tells you to do. They finally send a tech, who replaces the Cysco set top box with another Cysco box. Still have connection problems. This issue is going to drive me back to Spectrum. UVerse wireless appears to work on 10 year old technology. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

So we have to reset this 3 or 4 times a day?????

rebooting system only a short time fix, then have to repeat and repeat and repeat, think it’s time to get an antenna and xfinity internet and just stream tv

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Whomever

Have you called AT&T tech support? What will you do when Xfinity (Comcast) has issues?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Of course I have. And they have sent someone 3 times to replace the set top box in the bedroom. Were it not for the fact that my wife has been very sick the last 3 months I would probably be on my 6th receiver replacement.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Yes, have Cisco.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

The suggested "Solution" from AT&T does not FIX my stated problem - I don't want to have to reset or cycle power to the WAP every day, which is what I am having to do presently!!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

The ATT wireless units are garbage. I offer 2 solutions:

1) Best solution is to get rid of wireless and directly connect the gateway via ethernet. I have 3 TVs in 3 distant rooms connected and i never have these problems anymore.

2) Use your own wireless setup. Use the ethernet connections on the set top box and the gateway and use 2 external wireless access points to connect them (you probably already have 1). This removes the ATT wireless nonsense from the equation; as long as your access points are up, it's like a wired connection. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Garbage even at the router, best DL test hit 20mbp down 7 up. While Cox
cable is bad, it seems awesome after a year plus on ATT. Pay for 300M down
and it's always 300+ and cheaper than ATT...
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.