Hendersonville4's profile

Mentor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, July 5th, 2019 4:33 AM

Closed

Loss of channels

AT&T has failed to properly prepare for the  anticipated end of contract negotiation with Nexstar - resulting in the loss of ABC station, a MAJOR network. This continues to happen, as in the past, when other channels were removed from the lineup - as your customers continue to pay increased costs in service. We set up another TV(purchased an antennae) that would give us this basic channel for the interim - assuming we will get the channel back at some time in the future!  I think it's time to contact other providers who can provide continuing service that we PAY for and don't get with AT&T.

ACE - Sage

• 

53.6K Messages

7 years ago

@tirednonbc wrote:

Want NBC back I am missing my favorite shows.  Too bad I am tied into a 2 yr. contract because I would go to another provider if I was not.  How much longer will this issue exist?  I am getting very tired of this.

@tirednonbc, changing providers won't help.  They're all subject to these crazy contract negotiations with the corporations that own the local stations.  

The issue will exist as long as that station's ownership refuses to let DirecTV provide their signal.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Yes I have the same problem, and I don't think this is right, I am paying me money for Direc tv and I can't get all of my channel, I am so Frustrated!!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

6 years ago

Directv pays local affiliate to carry them.

Before agreement ends, negotiations start.

If new agreement is not reached by the time current one ends, channel owner pulls their feed from Directv as is their right.

TV providers do not own the channels which is why all of them have in their terms "channels subject to change".

Why should Directv be charged more, and in the end our bill, for a free over-the-air (OTA) channel? We don't go to pay TV for our locals. Plug in an OTA antenna to enjoy the free broadcast. Enjoy Directv for the national channels you got them for.

http://directvpromise.com/keeping-you-connected-to-your-local-stations/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Well said.  They need to honor their contact and PAY THE MONEY to restore the local channels they have been taking 

money for and not providing to their loyal customers.  The Direct contract seems only to serve Direct TV. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.2K Messages

6 years ago

It is the channel that removed their signal and DTV is paying them.

ACE - Sage

• 

53.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Alsinore wrote:

Well said.  They need to honor their contact and PAY THE MONEY to restore the local channels they have been taking 

money for and not providing to their loyal customers.  The Direct contract seems only to serve Direct TV. 

You're off base, @Alsinore.  It's the local station owners that keep getting more and more greedy, demanding more money from providers like Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, etc.  I'm very happy that DirecTV and other providers are playing hardball with these station owners.  Ideally Congress should grant providers the right to give us an out-of-area substitute. That would stop these greedy owners in their tracks. 

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

6 years ago

Channel pulls its feed as there is no current contract. They are negotiating for a new one. Local affiliate wants to raise costs, which means raising bills further. If you want to pay increased cost on the locals for the rest of us, go ahead and tell them. I however don't want increased cost on top of everything else.

Directv, like all pay TV providers, cannot guarantee that you get any specific locals for any length of time. They don't own them. Directv will provide you the local when/if the local affiliate gives the permission back. Until then you can use their free broadcast.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Isn't this considered breech of contract?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.2K Messages

6 years ago

DTV and all providers have a clause in the contract that states that the channels and programing can change at anytime so no it is not a breach.

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

6 years ago

@Grandfield

Sorry, there is no breach of contract. Directv cannot force any channel to stay because they don't own the channels. This is why all TV providers have in their terms that channels are subject to change. Directv provides you locals for your DMA as allowed by the FCC per your zip code. However there is no guarantee of getting every local in your area or any locals provided are there for life.

Sometimes channels change what number they are on, the networks rearrange which of their channels have certain programs, or a channel gets completely shut down (recently Chiller for example). This is why no TV provider can guarantee any channel for any length of time. If the channel changes, doesn't agree to continue being carried by Directv, or completely goes out of business then that is what you have to live with.

For reference regarding any current negotiations with locals: http://directvpromise.com/keeping-you-connected-to-your-local-stations/

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.