crusssmith's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 17th, 2016 8:48 PM

Is there a ROKU APP for watching Uverse channels? (Like TW)

I'm currently a TWC customer with Roku's on my TVs.

I watch all the regular streaming providers, as well as watching regular channels with the TWC app on Roku.  I can get all my live TV channels and channel surf.

I have not seen an ATT app, and I am aware I can connect separately and directly to providers for content using their own Roku apps.

The major convience and savings of the Roku boxes are fantastic.  I don't want STBs on in my house again.

Is ATT developing a similar feature?

It's the only thing keeping me from switching to ATT.

If I can get an actual ATT person to give us a definitive answer, that would help.

Yes, it's in development or,  We are considering it,  or, No, we are not doing that.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@crusssmith - That TW/Roku setup does sound like the best of both worlds (Cable & internet).

U-verse being IP TV also appears to have a step up on internet, but was designed to still favor cable because that is what it would replace & what people were familiar with at the time. Also, adding DirecTV into the mix & what people want has evolved since U-verse was introduced, it is likely we will see changes. But, I think we have to wait to see them.

It will be interesting to see -

How will the content be carried to the customer?

How will the content be billed to the customer?

How will the content universe be administered/tuned by the customer?

I was thinking that slingTV might be the closest to what you are loooking for, for the future. I looked it up & see that it is also a Roku offering.

If you are on a TW system, they can deliver & bill & provide a tuning platform & you use a Roku box to gain access.

If you are NOT on a TW system you could subscribe to SlingTV for billing & tuning platform & use your Roku box for access. All you need is an ISP delivering the internet access.

There must be pieces of this out there with Amazon prime, Hulu plus, Apple TV & probably many others. Be interesting to see what happens when these, or others, offer more robust content subscription and administration.

Should be that att/DirecTv would be a major player in that world. Certainly, it makes sense to minimize the complexity & cost of the "tuner" box. TV mfgrs & aux equipment mfgrs are build in network access to their "smart" devices. Just need to make them ore robust from a content & administration perspective.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@crusssmith   Here's why you have that on TWC:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2015/11/27/time-warner-cable-plan-to-win-back-cord-cutters.html

Do you have to buy a TV plan for regular channels to use the streaming app? Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I have to purchase the regular plan (equivalent to u200).

The same app delivers all the on demand as well, and the same limit applies there.

You don't pay for the channel, you don't get it.

Ah, I see that roku promotion.  I had previously used my Roku on Comcast, and now I'm on TWC.

I'm surprised ATT does not have a uverse roku app already.

I also expected ATT to wrap up D* under the Uverse TV umbrella by now.

Guru

• 

622 Messages

8 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

Nero fiddles, while Rome burns -

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/02/18/fcc-to-vote-on-set-top-box-competition-proposal.html

The vote passed 3-2, apparently along party lines (Democrats in favor), but this just opens up a commenting period, with another vote needed later in the year.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/02/fcc-votes-to-unlock-the-cable-box-over-republican-opposition/

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@crusssmith wrote:

Yes, I have to purchase the regular plan (equivalent to u200).

The same app delivers all the on demand as well, and the same limit applies there.

You don't pay for the channel, you don't get it.

Ah, I see that roku promotion.  I had previously used my Roku on Comcast, and now I'm on TWC.

I'm surprised ATT does not have a uverse roku app already.

I also expected ATT to wrap up D* under the Uverse TV umbrella by now.

There is a Uverse app that gets much of the Uverse lineup, but not set up to stream to to anything.

Although, if you have a computer w/an HDMI port, can stream anything through the browser through the HDMI port on any TV you can get ethernet or wireless connection to the RG.

Nope, DirecTV is going to be the dominant one and they want as many users to switch to it as possible.  ATT said yesterday they will not make anyone move over or does not want to and keep Uverse running too. Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Install on smart phone and then mirror to ruko works just as well as if was installed on the ruko

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The short answer is no, the U-verse TV app is not available for ROKU. Is is available for Amazon Fire TV including Firestick.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.