rfcshoe's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Apr 12, 2017 5:12 PM

Indians-White Sox game blacked out in Nevada

On April 11, the Chicago White Sox and Cleveland Indians baseball game was blacked out on Sports Time Ohio.  I live in Nevada.  Please explain why.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.4K Messages

5 y ago

You should post your question in the correct (DirecTV) forum HERE

That Don Guy

Guru

• 

622 Messages

5 y ago

Every Major League Baseball (and NBA and NHL, for that matter) team has a "home market" outside of which its games that are on "regional sports networks" are blacked out.  For example, San Francisco Giants games on Comcast Sports Bay Area are blacked out outside of the San Francisco area.  I think it is because the leagues want you to buy their own packages that let you watch all of the "out-of-market" games (I think it's called "MLB Extra Innings" for baseball).

Go to this website and enter your ZIP code; it will show you which teams' games can air on regional sports networks.

Note that this does not apply to games on, for example, Fox, ESPN, or TBS, unless the game involves a team from that area, in which case it could be blacked out because another station has the rights to it there.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

I have had the DIRECTV baseball package for the entire 12 years that I have lived in Nevada. I have never been blocked from a Cleveland-Chicago game in all that time. I am "in-market" for six MLB teams;
* Oakland Athletics
* San Francisco Giants
* San Diego Padres
* Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
* Arizona Diamondbacks
* Los Angeles Dodgers
Chicago is not one of them.

I was able to watch the game on the 11th, on a Chicago regional DIRECTV station, but I want the Cleveland announcers. I'm paying for these games, but somewhere along the line I lose some that I shouldn't lose. The most irritating scenario is when I have a game recorded, and then I attempt to play it but find that it has been deleted because of blackout rules. If the game happens to still be on, I flip on channel 662 (STO out of Cleveland), and lo and behold, the game is there just as if nothing had happened. Except that I missed the entire first portion.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.6K Messages

5 y ago

There's two things going on here. There's a DirecTV Sports Pack and Major League Baseball Extra Innings. It is imperative the two do not get confused.

With DirecTV, you can get a package with a lot of regional sports channels plus other niche sports channels. It's probably called the "DirecTV Sports Pack" or some such. On here, every live pro game (MLS soccer, NBA basketball, NHL hockey and MLB baseball) is blacked out. I believe hockey games which are re-aired late at night or the next day are not blacked out. I think the other re-airs are blacked out.

And yes, this is league policy because the leagues want you to buy their packages.

If you live *in market*, your local teams are defined by the league/teams and are not blacked out. If a game is on a national channel (ESPN, NBCSN, TNT, etc.) and YOUR local/regional channel, the game is typically blacked out on ESPN. This typically happens with baseball and the NHL playoffs.

In the above situation, if you live *out of market*, your favorite team will be live on ESPN and the league's package.

You live in Las Vegas and follow the Indians. If a game is live only on SportsTime Ohio, you must have MLB Extra Innings. If a game is live on SportsTime Ohio and ESPN, you should be able to watch on ESPN or MLB Extra Innings, if you subscribe to MLB Extra Innings. The only thing SportsTime Ohio is good for in your case would be the call-in shows and pregame and postgame shows.     

Unfortunately, the league typically determines which broadcast you get. If you subscribe to the online version of MLB Extra Innings, you may be able to pay for a premium version which lets you select the broadcast.

I know someone in your same situation. He is able to watch his pregame and postgame show of his favorite baseball team via the DirecTV sports pack. He then switches on MLB Extra Innings (which could be the opposing broadcast), but as soon as the game is done, he switches back to his team's regional channel for the postgame show.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

Thanks for your comments, but I think I'm covered in all situations.

I subscribe to both MLB Extra Innings and the Regional Sports Pack. Normally, I get Cleveland games (out-of-market) on STO, Channel 662, as part of the Sports Pack. Games played by any of the six teams I mentioned earlier are blacked out on STO (in-market teams), but usually they will be carried on a Regional channel covering the area I am blacked out from.

One comment confused me. "If you live *in market*, your local teams are defined by the league/teams and are not blacked out." I thought the in-market teams (San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc, in my case) are the ones that are blacked out. I'm talking about being blacked out on STO, a regional channel from Cleveland. I can get the game on one of the regional networks, but I want the Cleveland broadcast. And in the game on the 11th between the White Sox and the Indians, it was blacked out on STO. It should not have been, unless there was a conflict with a national broadcast. If there was a national broadcast, I am unaware of it. My contention is that I should be able to watch any game where both teams are out-of-market on Cleveland's STO channel as part of the Regional Sports Pack. Normally, that happens, but my complaint is when it doesn't.

The suggestion "He then switches on MLB Extra Innings (which could be the opposing broadcast), but as soon as the game is done, he switches back to his team's regional channel for the postgame show." is OK if you are watching the game live, but not so good if you are recording it to be watched later. There is no way to predict when the game will end, and if you try to start the post-game recording when you think the game will be over, and the game runs longer than you predicted, your post-game recording will be deleted because of blackout restrictions.

I record pre-game, game, and post-game of every game involving the Indians, but It's like I'm playing games with DIRECTV to get that to work properly. And how many times have I had Cleveland baseball talk shows deleted because of blackout restrictions. There's no scenario where that should happen, is there?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I am in western Wisconsin and I have not been able to watch White Sox series this season. I am wanting to watch the Royals who as of today, May 1, are playing for the 4th time. I believe it is something with the White Sox. I live chatted with direct tv as I pay for extra innings on April 25th and again couldn't watch the Royals. I was told there was an issue and it would be fixed in 12 to 24 hrs but obviously it was not. I have not been able to get a real answer. The Royals play the White Sox frequently and I don't want to pay if I am going to miss these games. Especially when it wasn't an issue last season. I hope someone at direct tv knows what is going on.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.6K Messages

5 y ago

@rfcshoe wrote:
Thanks for your comments, but I think I'm covered in all situations.

I subscribe to both MLB Extra Innings and the Regional Sports Pack. Normally, I get Cleveland games (out-of-market) on STO, Channel 662, as part of the Sports Pack. Games played by any of the six teams I mentioned earlier are blacked out on STO (in-market teams), but usually they will be carried on a Regional channel covering the area I am blacked out from.

One comment confused me. "If you live *in market*, your local teams are defined by the league/teams and are not blacked out." I thought the in-market teams (San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc, in my case) are the ones that are blacked out. I'm talking about being blacked out on STO, a regional channel from Cleveland. I can get the game on one of the regional networks, but I want the Cleveland broadcast. And in the game on the 11th between the White Sox and the Indians, it was blacked out on STO. It should not have been, unless there was a conflict with a national broadcast. If there was a national broadcast, I am unaware of it. My contention is that I should be able to watch any game where both teams are out-of-market on Cleveland's STO channel as part of the Regional Sports Pack. Normally, that happens, but my complaint is when it doesn't.

The suggestion "He then switches on MLB Extra Innings (which could be the opposing broadcast), but as soon as the game is done, he switches back to his team's regional channel for the postgame show." is OK if you are watching the game live, but not so good if you are recording it to be watched later. There is no way to predict when the game will end, and if you try to start the post-game recording when you think the game will be over, and the game runs longer than you predicted, your post-game recording will be deleted because of blackout restrictions.

I record pre-game, game, and post-game of every game involving the Indians, but It's like I'm playing games with DIRECTV to get that to work properly. And how many times have I had Cleveland baseball talk shows deleted because of blackout restrictions. There's no scenario where that should happen, is there?

If you live in a team's market, you cannot get that game on Extra Innings. For example, I live in Ohio. I cannot get Indians or Reds games via Extra Innings, no matter who they play. If I'm a die-hard fan of another team and they're playing the Indians or Reds, then I must watch via the Indians or Reds channel. If the game is also on ESPN, then I may also have that option.

Now, say the Padres are playing the Red Sox and I wish to watch that game in Ohio. I must subscribe to Extra Innings or MLB.TV and watch via whatever broadcast is served to me. It's my understanding that a premium option of MLB.TV allows me to select the Padres or Red Sox broadcast, if I wish to pay more for that option. As far as I know, MLB Extra Innings (via a TV provider) does not have that option.

That Padres vs Red Sox game would be blacked out on a channel like NESN or FS San Diego because I live outside of those teams regional markets.

Beyond that, I can't help you. I would suggest posting in the DirecTV forum or calling them. This forum is meant for U-Verse, which is a wired product, similar to cable.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.6K Messages

5 y ago

@Curtis3099 wrote:
I am in western Wisconsin and I have not been able to watch White Sox series this season. I am wanting to watch the Royals who as of today, May 1, are playing for the 4th time. I believe it is something with the White Sox. I live chatted with direct tv as I pay for extra innings on April 25th and again couldn't watch the Royals. I was told there was an issue and it would be fixed in 12 to 24 hrs but obviously it was not. I have not been able to get a real answer. The Royals play the White Sox frequently and I don't want to pay if I am going to miss these games. Especially when it wasn't an issue last season. I hope someone at direct tv knows what is going on.

I refer you to the second post in this thread.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.