For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
DonnaMarie113's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, February 28th, 2015 11:23 PM

Have to reset TV each after TV/Video button on S10-S4 is inadvertently pushed

I have to reset TV each time TV/Video button on S10-S4 remote is inadvertently pushed.

(That button is near top of remote on right hand side.)

Is there a way to disengage that button on the remote?

When it is touched, there is either snow, or the screen goes to "No Digital Channels."

To remedy this situation, I have to get TV's remote and hit TV/Input button 5 times (in my case to get to "Video 6") for the TV to go back to normal.

This apparently hadn't happened in the past. Technician came out, updated co-axial cable, and explained how to use TV remote to correct situation.

This is all helpful, but the "older" person who watches TV all day keeps apparently (I am guessing) hitting that little TV/VIDEO button almost daily. For the past several years it has never been an issue.

Is there a way to disconnect, disengage, reassign that troublesome TV/VIDEO button on my S10-S4 AT&T remote control? She only uses remote for TV.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

I see your need. It is unusual. There is not a software solution. I think the most direct solution would be to grab the button with a pair of needlenose pliers & pull it out.

I am surprized that it functions in att mode (many people would like that). Usually, it requires pushing the TV button first. I can see that happening.

once it is off the right input continued pressing it should step it to the correct input. But, it has to be in TV mode (not att mode). Still a complication.

Another thing you could do, is connect all possible inputs between the TV & the STB. As the button is pushed it will still land on a u-verse input.

I dug out an old remote where the volume button failed & pulled out the tv/video button. It took a little diggiging on the side with a small screwdriver & the puling with the needlenose pliers. If you have a razor knife cut around the button first (cutting the rubber inside the opening).

Please post your efforts.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Here is another solution that may also make life easier all around - https://www.flipperremote.com/

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I am very sorry. I inadvertently hit the 2nd response as selected solution and didn't mean to. I did not want to invest in another remote. This was a issue that wasn't happening in the past, then just started happening daily, and I wanted to figure out what setting was off or whatever.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I am speculating that when this lady has problem with TV or cable, a common solution is to try all the buttons on the remote to see if any of them correct the problem.

However, I think your reply hit it on the head with the comment about TV button along the top of remote was engaged, instead of the ATT button. That was how, when the TV/VIDEO button was hit, another cycle of no digital channels problems started again,

Though I cannot oversee that this older lady doesn't touch certain buttons by accident, I at least understand why it is happening and how to fix it.

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Yeah, well each of 2-3 tech service guys showed me different ways to turn on remote. In the past, I got used to Hitting one button for on and off. But, not so here. I had to press 5 keys (att, tv, power, att, ok) I tried praying and holding my breath after hitting the power button to see if the blue screen came up suggesting I might want to hit the att button before pressing the ok button. Being very careful I was doing ok for a while. Even got myself out of a couple difficulties. But, then the horror was back again. Deadly snow. You dare not make any button errors like if you rolled on it or the dog stepped on it.

I'm going to try these instructions and hope. But it's unnatural. Never had this problem with comcast and tivo. I thought I was paying att to watch tv. It's not happening. Get me out of this contract.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

You do have a problem that I cannot tell what it it is from here & I cannot show you how to fix it from here. You do not need to press all those buttons. Just make sure you can see the U_verse receiver front & when you operate the power button you keep the remote pointed at the receiver. Do not wave - aim.

By operate, I mean just press the power button. Don't flick it & don't hold it.

First make sure you are in att mode (By pressing the att button) & the receiver is off (by the oval green light is NOT lit). Do not touch the TV, DVD or AUX buttons (ever).

Press the power button. the receiver & TV will come on.

If the TV does not come on press the power button again.

If the receiver does not come on (you see the press OK screen on the TV) press OK.

The worst thing that can happen is you have to do both of those presses.

When you are done watching , press the power button. Make sure that the U-verse receiver green oval light goes out to be ready for the next power up.

You can press the oval on the receiver or resynch the remote by using the two steps above.

When you get comfortable with this, it will work for you.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Apparently after over a month, elderly friend is still having same issue,
and I've concluded that when she thinks remote isn't working, she hits lots
of buttons (because she sees me hitting several buttons when I remedy
problem each time).
Though I swapped remote for her with another one in the house, I strongly
believe I'm dealing with operator error (i.e. old age, dementia) and am
glad I'm available to reset it for her every day or two.
Since she only uses TV, I wonder if there is a reasonably-priced remote
with big buttons that offers off/on, channel up/channel down, Guide, and OK
options only.
Good luck!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

You are between a rock and a hard place. The remote that prevents errors also prevents curently expected functionality(guide).

The remote suggested in post 3 allows volume/mute and up/down on a list of favorite channels. Hard to go wrong , but no direct channel & no guide.

You could get a Logitech Harmony & program it only for the needed functions, but I think it is still too complex.

Check out the new att u-verse s-20 remote. It only has watch u-verse functionality. No TV orDVD or AUX mode. So it should be more stable, while providing full function (which may still allow problems). It has the added advantage of familiarity & no cost.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Remote-Controls/S20-remote/m-p/4212639#M3570

You could call in to request one or ask customer care using this link -

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

You might want to look at something like this: http://www.bigbuttonremotes.com/

The manual says their remotes will operate both Cisco and Motorola boxes.  I would call or email before buying to make sure they work with U-verse.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.