CadenceSonyTV's profile

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

Monday, February 8th, 2016 3:26 PM

Fox 35, Channel 1003, Orlando

Repetitive question, apologies in advance.

New UVerse service as of November, 2015. All HD channels fill our 46" Sony Bravia HD 1080 widescreen format - except - local Fox 35 (1003) which shows the infamous black bars top & bottom. Further, the picture is actually cropped, not just reduced in size ie: even the "Fox 35" logo at bottom right of screen is cut in half. Top program banner is also cropped / cut off as well. It is the "only" channel we experience any type of black bar issue, unless the programming or commercial is broadcast in SD - which we understand.

Confused why only (1) channel would present this issue. Called UVerse, to be told it was a station broadcast issue, not UVerse.

However, we have a 2nd "Sony Bravia HD" TV, smaller wide-screen size (25"). This TV is on an HD antenna feed only, not UVerse - and the same local Fox 35 station fills the wide screen format perfectly.

Are we wrong in thinking - if the broadcast feed (antenna) is received in a proper / full HD widescreen format, and the UVerse feed via HD channel 1003 is cropped - doesn't that infer the issue is between the local station feed to UVerse - and Uverse's distribution of the channel in a different format ?

Thanks for enlightening - not a tech pro....  but confused.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

Interesting indeed. When the local Fox 35 (1003) station was broadcasting the Xiavier / Butler BBall game - screen was full - not cropped. As soon as the nationall feed left - the channel picture was once again cropped.

Does this infer it is a station problem - not U-verse ??

Today was 1st time we saw a full HD wide screen program on 1003 - but now news is on (5:15 pm) and picture is cropped as usual - top & bottom.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

Another update: This morning -- 2/15/2016 -- we have full screen picture on 1003 Fox 35 News !

Can only guess what has changed - no tech configuration change on our side. Still seems to have been a station issue - or - station to U-verse interface that was the cause.

Will report back if the full picture holds - pleasant morning to see our picture back full !

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

Guess we mark this one solved - although -0- feedback as to cause of issue - or - how it was corrected. Would be nice to know if this was in fact a station issue (most likely), vs. a U-verse issue.

Our full screen picture is holding good - now 24 hrs later. 2/16/2016 AM.

Thanks for responses - but end evaluation - nothing we did on our side (equipment, component cables, adjusted screen resolutions or size, etc.) made any difference. The issue dissappeared - by coincidence - the day after the station would have received our letter with pictures of our screen issues. Maybe they found something ?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@CadenceSonyTV  Did you send a PM as I suggested?  If so that might have triggered it, or an ATT person looked through here and saw the problem and got it fixed. 😉

Edit:  Could've been UVRob or Fox Muldar was browsing and saw this problem and acted.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

Mine also looks good now. 

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

Just received a call from the Chief Engineer at Fox 35 (1003). Received a full explanation of their feed (fiberoptic) to AT&T - which has been 100% operational. No reported issues.

He went on to explain signal compression that AT&T and other providers use to transmit the signal thru their networks, he believes, based on my pictures, was the cause of the cropping - ie: a compression device somewhere in AT&T's network after the station's fiber-optic feed to their distribution hub - which has not had any issues of late. He was unaware the issue had been recitified - but was glad to hear it was resolved. He offered his direct telephone line to the station engineering department, offering any assistance if needed in future.

If this was an AT&T issue - it would be appreciated to get an AT&T confirmation. Issue was originally shared with AT&T U-verse - weeks ago - and if they had checked the picture issue on that one (1) station, as distributed from U-verse - it seems they would have recognized the problem right away - instead of making us chase the station - or our equipment, setup, cables, etc. - which did not change anything. Picture still full today, hope it holds.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@CadenceSonyTV   Think you having contacted them a couple weeks ago, sent into motion someone to visit the VHO.  Found the problem (was not bing, bang, boom) and got the proper tech to make the change physically at the VOD or by software on phone company time.

Doubt if that guy calling another person then they calling someone else, repeated to let them know so they can tell the customer. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

This is appraoching absurd.........

IMG_0622.JPG

Fox 35 (1003) is again "cropped" tonight.

Explanations are old, inaccurate, and frustrating - as there is a problem between the station & AT&T - which we are paying premium $$$ for clear reception.

This may be a decision point for us.

Picture posted. (above) - live - 15 mins ago.....

Hope others will join this complaint about Fox 35 (1003) and AT&T's inability to correct the issue !!

BTW - Daytona 500 covered by Fox tomorrow - we will not view if picture cropped........

Really bad tech service........    B S

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I wish my apartment complex had an alternative provider. I was a DirecTV customer (with a dish) for 15 years prior to moving into this apartment late 2014. I'm thankful I was able to stream NFL Sunday ticket but the frustrations with AT&T not paying the rights to broadcast Xfinity races (Dart throwing championship......rather watch paint dry) in 2015 and now the local Fox display problems are ridiculous. The Fox display problem wasn't an issue until I upgraded my internet speed to 50mbps. This required a new gateway, and a change to fiber at the ONT. My main DVR box was replaced with an IPH8010 and the tv connected to it is the ONLY tv affected FOX display cropped issue.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

OMG this issue is so anoying. Those bars just wont go away. Can somebody with good Uverse support background look into this?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.