CadenceSonyTV's profile

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

Monday, February 8th, 2016 3:26 PM

Fox 35, Channel 1003, Orlando

Repetitive question, apologies in advance.

New UVerse service as of November, 2015. All HD channels fill our 46" Sony Bravia HD 1080 widescreen format - except - local Fox 35 (1003) which shows the infamous black bars top & bottom. Further, the picture is actually cropped, not just reduced in size ie: even the "Fox 35" logo at bottom right of screen is cut in half. Top program banner is also cropped / cut off as well. It is the "only" channel we experience any type of black bar issue, unless the programming or commercial is broadcast in SD - which we understand.

Confused why only (1) channel would present this issue. Called UVerse, to be told it was a station broadcast issue, not UVerse.

However, we have a 2nd "Sony Bravia HD" TV, smaller wide-screen size (25"). This TV is on an HD antenna feed only, not UVerse - and the same local Fox 35 station fills the wide screen format perfectly.

Are we wrong in thinking - if the broadcast feed (antenna) is received in a proper / full HD widescreen format, and the UVerse feed via HD channel 1003 is cropped - doesn't that infer the issue is between the local station feed to UVerse - and Uverse's distribution of the channel in a different format ?

Thanks for enlightening - not a tech pro....  but confused.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@CadenceSonyTV   ATT does NOT take the OTA feed, they have a dedicated line feed.  The staion must be sending something goofy down that line and I'd call the station and ask them about it.

Anyone around you have Uverse too?  Could ask to see their 1003 image.  It doesn't sound like the SD version, many now are just letterboxed around a small 16x9 image and still see everything. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

8 years ago

I have FOX 35 Orlando and also have a 46" Sony Bravia TV. I am not having any problems with channel 1003. Every once in a while I see black bars on other channels but this is due to the program being broadcast.

Have you tried the zoom/stretch for channel 1003? This may help if you watch a lot of programming on 1003.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for response. Yes, knowledgable of both TV and UVerse receiver options to zoom, stretch, etc. Yes, we can "fill" the screen, but content is still chopped top / bottom.

Checking with neighbor's to compare as well.

Weird, only 1 channel involved.

Thanks for suggestions.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 years ago

Unfortunately, neighbor uses only UVerse Internet & Phone. Still searching for local TV picture comparison. We reside in rural area.

Below pics show issue. Weird it is only occuring on one channel (1003).

TV Fox 35 2.jpgTV Fox 35 3.jpgTV Fox35 1.jpg

3 Attachments

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

I have the same issue with my 60' Samsung. The funny thing is that it only happenes on this TV. I have another Samsung 55 and Visio 32 and none show the anoying bar. I have changed HDMI cables ports with no luck. When I tune the channel I can see the full screen for a split second before the TV adds the bars.

Another thing I just discovered is if I change the resolution to 720p the bars are gone. 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

It would be of interesest to see if the same problem occurs with a component connection.

Can one of you scrounge up the RCA ended cables display analog video?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

Here is another interesting test. I connected the wireless reciever to the tv with the bars and it worked fine; no bars. So in my case the DVR (8010) is the one that is having problem tunning this channel, the wired and wireless recievers work fine on the rest of my tv's.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

8 years ago

I would try the DVR with Component cables and not HDMI, @lesantos.  I bet that the station has flaky HDCP and HDMI doesn't always handshake the feed to the set correctly.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

I will try that. The part that I don't get is that this only happens with HD channel 1003 (FOX 35).

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

When I first saw this thread I thought it was typical "smaller" picture.

The fact that it is extremely limited to one channel & STB/TV is very odd.

The post about it failing on 1080 but not 720  led me to review the thread & see the pictures & see that the picture is not alligning correctly with the screen.

I believe there is some small digital anomaly in the signal such that the TV cannot process it correctly. Maybe compare it to when the lip synch is off. The digital signal is off enough so that the result is not correct, but good enough so that it almost works.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.