Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tue, Dec 9, 2014 4:19 AM

AT&T U-Verse TV, and the chopped off SD channels

Why does AT&T crop or cut off the edges of the picture?  Why do they shrink the picture down so that it is smaller then the TV screen?

I just got to SoCal and started watching TV on a U-Verse system, and I am completely baffled at how AT&T is treating their customers.  They are degrading the "SD" channels in an attempt to get more "HD" subscribers.

The term "Standard definition" does not mean smaller nor does it mean you have bars on  your screen.

Please don't point me to the "zoom" or "stretch", because this is not the solution.  AT&T knows how to fix it.

I am asking this here in the AT&T forums in hopes we can get it settled, so please someone explain why AT&T is cutting a 16:9 picture down to a 4:3 size and calling it "SD".

Thank you,

Ben

Responses

ACE - Professor

• 

3.3K Messages

5 years ago

@dv1964 wrote:

I signed up for Uverse TV and canceled it few days later. Uverse does not carry The Blaze, The Hallmark Channel and broadcast in SD do not fill the screen. Went back to the Dish. at least i get the 2 Chanels I watch and SD programing fills the screen without being chopped off. Do you know waht it like to wacth a hockey game in SD on screen that is chopped. I had to watch in SD becasuse something was being tape in HD.

It is always up to the customer to look at what a new company offers before they sign up for that new company's products or services. Grocery stores, tax-filing companies, school districts, cars, or whatever else.

U-Verse doesn't chop anything off. Most likely, a setting on your box wasn't right. U-Verse also allows at least three things to be viewed in HD at once...sometimes, four things. Your last sentence appears to be wrong. You would be referring to when U-Verse had one HD stream which hasn't been the case in many years.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

BenP4680, you are spot-on and your user experience and expectations are legitmate.   I had exactly the same surprise and received all the same responses about AT&T "just passes through what is given" .   But the reality of the marketplace and the accepted norms of what SD and HD really mean today are not in line with how UVERSE defines SD & HD.  

What "should" be happening from a consumer expectations view is that SD is lower resolution but still fills the screen vertically and sometimes horizontally at an SD quality and HD is higher resolution quality and still fills the screen.   The way it is handled today with shrinking the wide channels instead of automatically scaling them up and simply cutting off the sides is not acceptable to consumer expectations.

However, all that said, after probing on this I realized that part of this is an AT&T choice of how it handles it with their technology investments, and part of this is how they receive their feeds from local stations.  In both cases, I cannot change what they do so I gave up and paid for HD where everything operates as it "should".    I am a disappointed customer on this matter.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Everyone should contact their States consumer affairs department or Attorney General. We are paying an additional charge to receive local broadcast channels. Those channels sent and broadcast in HD or letter boxed SD in wide screen format. At&T is downsizing the picture either to save bandwidth or push customers to HD subscriptions. In either case it borders on consumer fraud / bait and switch tactics. I am not sure if Xfinity or WOW do the same but I am begining to lose my patience.

ACE - Professor

• 

3.3K Messages

3 years ago

@notahappyone wrote:

Everyone should contact their States consumer affairs department or Attorney General. We are paying an additional charge to receive local broadcast channels. Those channels sent and broadcast in HD or letter boxed SD in wide screen format. At&T is downsizing the picture either to save bandwidth or push customers to HD subscriptions. In either case it borders on consumer fraud / bait and switch tactics. I am not sure if Xfinity or WOW do the same but I am begining to lose my patience.

If you want local channels in HD, you have to pay the $10 HD fee. This gets you the HD versions (when available) of whatever you subscribe to in SD.

AT&T provides whatever is given to them. If channels appear cut off, I'd recommend going through your settings. Remember that both your TV and the U-Verse box have settings that affect aspect ratio.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

It was not an issue 4 months ago. Funny how it happened as AT&T pushed to move customers to Direct TV. Also I am not talking aspect ratio, we are talking about cropping the broadcast image. I have no issue with letter boxing but if 3 people are on screen there should be 3 not 2 1/2