Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
J

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Aug 1, 2020 4:44 PM

Wish I would’ve chosen someone else

If anyone is considering TV providers, DO NOT USE Directv. We had our preferred package for a year and then they starting taking channels off that package without telling us. When I called them, they told me that those channels are currently not available on our package. Then they tried to up sell us on the package with the channels we lost.  This is why people are “cutting the cord”

Responses

baseballisback

ACE - Professor

• 

3.6K Messages

2 months ago

AT&T has no control over what channels go where. Channels move packages with regularity based on contracts. Sling recently moved two channels, I think Paramount and BET. In addition, they don't have many sports channels. They're not exempt. YouTube TV in my area lessened their markets in which the regional sports channel is available.

Since I signed up with U-Verse in 2008, they bumped NASA TV up a tier and still no HD, had lengthy contract disputes with Hallmark, NHL Network, two owners of local TV channels, nearly had a stalemate with Disney, didn't have MLB Network for quite some time, haven't had NFL Network since last year, didn't have the Scripps channels for about a weekend or so and I'm sure I'm forget one.

In addition, when NHL Network came back, it was on a higher tier.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
dwinth

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

2 months ago

You forgot about the big one. I think it was in 2010, when the Hallmark Channels could not come to an agreement with AT&T for many years.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Professor

• 

3.6K Messages

2 months ago

I said Hallmark.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

2 months ago

You didn't read the TOS section that states channels and programing are subject to change at anytime with or without notice and all TV providers have it.

Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

2 months ago

@justinholeman19 

Like any other TV provider, they have a clause in Terms of Service that channels are subject to change. This is because they don't own them. Sometimes agreements between provider and channel owner update, channel owner moves on, or in a few cases the channel goes out of business per the parent owner (i.e. Cloo, Chiller, SoapNet).

Just to be sure of the situation, what channels are you missing? What is the exact name of your programming package? Want to see if it was a change in the channel itself, a technical error that caused it to drop off, or a technical error that allowed it through in the first place (rare, but not unheard of) and the bug was just fixed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

I understand that there are issues with channels but I should’ve been given knowledge of the change. Instead, my programs didn’t record because the channel was taken off of my package and I was never told. Secondly, I don’t appreciate Directv trying to make me think I’m unaware of my surroundings. When I called them, I was told that the missing channels were not a part of my package and no change had been made to the package (which I know is a lie because I’ve had weekly programs record on both channels for the past year).  Just be straight with me and tell me that those channels have had changes due to conditions beyond their control. Finally, when I sign up for a package of channels and the channels are changed against my wishes, I should be compensated somehow.  Maybe consider extending my promotional period for the remainder of the contract. I don’t expect money to be given to me; however, I should be allowed out of my contract if what I signed up for changes. Currently, I cannot cancel service without paying a cancellation fee which i do not agree with. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

2 months ago

So long as DTV is providing sat channels they are doing what they said they would do. So why did you sign up if you didn't like the 2 yr commitment?

Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

2 months ago

@justinholeman19 

What change are you talking about? The main package channels haven't changed in some time, which is why I suspect a technical issue.

What channels are not working?

What happens when you try them? (symptoms, error message, etc.)

What is the name of your programming package?

If the agent was correct that the channel was not in your package, then that would mean you weren't supposed to get the channel to begin with. So were getting a free channel until something fixed the authorization (as mentioned this is a rare situation, but a few over the years have experienced it). But we would need to know your package and what channel it is to be sure which way this situation goes.

No you do not get guaranteed compensation for channels changing. Sometimes if a channel plays hardball and withholds their feed from the TV provider for too long during negotiations, then you might get a courtesy credit if you call, but it is not required. TV providers cannot force channels to stay on always. That is why they each have that clause.

You may not currently agree with the ECF being valid for a (supposed) change in programming, but you did when you signed up. Per the Terms of Service that all of us customers agree to upon starting servcie:

(d) Our Programming Changes.

Many factors affect the availability, cost and quality of programming and may influence the decision to raise prices and the amount of any increase. These include, among others, programming and other costs, consumer demand, market and shareholder expectations, and changing business conditions. Accordingly, we reserve the unrestricted right to change, rearrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, technologies used to deliver the Service, and any other Service we offer, at any time.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

It was not a technical issue because I had printed channel lineups that showed both DIY network and Oxygen on the choice package. They were both listed on the choice package in September 2019.  You are obviously an employee of Directv/ATT because you are trying to deny any blame, just like the employees I spoke with on the phone. However, everyone on social media agrees with my post and have expressed that this is why they now have streaming TV. I will probably pay the ECF just so that I can be done with Directv for good. Directv doesn’t provide anything that streaming doesn’t, other than the additional fees

ACE - Professor

• 

3.6K Messages

2 months ago

Employees who post on this forum have all their posts marked as being those of employees, but that their posts are their personal opinion and don't reflect AT&T's strategies or opinions.

AT&T does notify the public of channel changes, but since I don't have DirecTV, I'm not sure where it is for that brand.

As far as "everyone on social media" well... 

But what will you do when a streaming service changes their packages around? Sling recently did so with two channels and I don't believe they've had many sports channels for a few months now.

No provider is immune.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

0 commitment with YouTube TV. Cancel at any time and has unlimited DVR storage

Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

2 months ago

@justinholeman19 

Sorry but your assumption is very wrong. I do not work for AT&T/DirecTV.

Those "printed" lineups are out of date. DirecTV itself hasn't printed in at least a couple years. They went to online only to be up to date when checked. Any printed lineup that techs have on hand, ones made up by 3rd party retailers, or any remaining pdf on the DirecTV legacy website are not current information.

Oxygen has required Xtra for years, where OWN has been in a minimum of Choice. So either you have a channel lineup that was printed long ago, or was made by a 3rd party with inaccurate info.

For current info: https://www.att.com/channels/directv/

Also keep in mind that a freeview of additional channels had been opened up (as a courtesy because of Covid) which just ended. So the bonus channels are turned off so we are all back to only getting what is in the packages we pay for.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

Just lost another channel this week.... the Golf channel is now gone from the choice package

Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

2 months ago

Golf has required Xtra and above. So either you were enjoying the freeview channels that just ended, or before that you were getting channels you weren't supposed to and when the freeview ended the authorization update fixed the error on the authorizations for your service.

As a note Tennis used to require minimum Xtra, but is now in Choice. But the Golf channel remained in Xtra.

Get started...

Ask a new question