AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Nov 1, 2015 2:50 PM

Why can't I get 1080p ?

I just bought a new Vizio M65-C1.  I have DirecTV Genie HR44.  The TV is capeable of up to 4K.

I have 1080i and 1080p selected as the only two formats on the Genie.  None of my programming comes through as 1080p; only 1080i.  Is there something I can do?

Responses

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for the clarification.  Just doesn't seem normal if 4K UHD TV's are selling.  I guess you must "upgrade" to different equipment that takes the broadcast signal and re-sends it in 4K to get the benefits that a 4K TV provides......I just don't know anymore.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

2 years ago

It has to be sent in 4K to be received in 4K but you will need DTV 4K receivers to watch in 4K, some TVs can upscale programs to 4K with mixed results.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

2 years ago

@pewtavert01 , please don't sweat the fact that you can't select 1080p on your DirecTV box. Like we've said, that's not a standard HDTV video resolution.  DirecTV's 1080p is unique,  Many TV's can't display it. And it doesn't really matter. The handful of PPV movies that use 1080p will look just fine at 1080i.  Of course, 4K is totally different matter.  But there's hardly any 4K content yet. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Here's the thing - the front switch is supposed to be the OUTPUT of the receiver. From the manual: "The RES key switches the output resolution of the DIRECTV Receiver". I too have the same problem - i want the OUTPUT of the receiver to be 1080P to my AV receiver. Pressing the RES button cycles through all of them except the 1080P which it just skips over.

Anyone have any ideas?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

a year ago

As stated the only programs in 1080p are PPV movies and will automatically light up the 1080p if 1080p is selected, there are no channels broadcasting 1080p.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

a year ago

@photod wrote:

Here's the thing - the front switch is supposed to be the OUTPUT of the receiver. From the manual: "The RES key switches the output resolution of the DIRECTV Receiver". I too have the same problem - i want the OUTPUT of the receiver to be 1080P to my AV receiver. Pressing the RES button cycles through all of them except the 1080P which it just skips over.

Anyone have any ideas?

That's how it works. The DirecTV box cannot upconvert 720p or 1080i video to 1080p.  And, by the way, DirecTV's 1080p isn't even "real" 1080p. They use 1080p@24fps, when "real" 1080p is at 30fps or 60fps. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.

Get started...

Ask a new question