Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Apr 27, 2019 11:20 PM

Why are we losing so many great channels?

Why can't we keep A&E, HISTORY, LIFETIME and more?  

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

2 years ago

@nabukl wrote:

@Jedhunter69@litzdog911 Is neither of those ESPECIALLY a troll. 

Probably a troll. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

The fact that they would let a cult like Scientology have a channel is disgusting. I couldn’t agree more. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I love LivePD and all the related shows. Please Keep A&E!!! I really like DirectV,  but  this was the reason why I left cable. I just can not have my LivePD. I think you guys should reconsider.  Lots will leave over this. 

Sincerely. 

A LIVEPD FAN.

Kathy [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Brand User
ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

140.5K Messages

2 years ago

Our goal is always to deliver the content you want at a value that also makes sense to you. We hope to avoid any interruption to these channels that you care about.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

9K Messages

2 years ago

No one here has anything to do with it - we are just other customers. If you are paying $200 /month, you don’t have DirecTV Now, which is the subject of this forum. If you are unhappy with the content selection, price, or service quality of your video service, perhaps you would be best off getting a different service.  Neither DirecTV nor DirecTV Now provide Internet service - if you have problems with that, you should take it up with your internet provider.  I’m not sure what the issue would be with DirecTV Now vs cable - both have to deal with negotiations with content providers and both deal with threats to cut off content by those providers (who then blame the carriers). 

(And @beww357 - in this case it’s A&E Networks, the last one was Viacom, so the next one may be Discovery...)

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@shannon02 wrote:

Viacom the owner of A&E is threatening to remove their feed to DTV because they will not pay what they are asking to renew the contract, DTV can't drop them.

Umm, not Viacom.

A&E is an American cable television network. It is the flagship television property of A&E Networks, a joint venture between the Hearst Communications and Walt Disney Television subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@Jedhunter69 

Certainly you go with the TV provider that carries the channels you want. However, with how these situations work, rash decisions will not help. Most of the time a channel does not go dark, and in the few times it does then it is not for very long. A channel pulling its feed (which might be only for a few hours or days) causes you to cancel immediately, going through the hassle of setting up another provider and possibly paying an early cancellation fee (ECF), seems to be more hasty and indictive of being to dependent on TV watching. This is a case I say where a little patience goes a long way.

TV provider does not own the channels so they get an agreement to carry them for so much time.

If a new agreement is not reached when the deadline comes due for the current one, then a couple things might happen.

1. Channel owner gives permission for an extension while they are still negotiating.

2. Channel owner pulls the feed, as they own the broadcast rights, to leverage customers.

Yes A&E is showing notices of the possibility of going dark, but it is not a guarantee. Just a normal "scare tactic" that many networks do. Though I will say theirs is the most reasonable one I recall seeing.

You say A&E should be paid more. Many of us would disagree for the fact that when a TV provider has to pay channels more to carry them, this adds to our bills with future price adjustments. So the rest of us are not wanting to pay more. I understand cost goes up over time, but I appreciate DirecTV not caving in quickly and trying to minimize any cost impacts. If the FCC, or other regulators involved, could force the channel owners to allow al-a-carte so that only those that want to pay those increases or for those specific channels could do so, then that would be more viewer friendly.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

We have both Uverse and DirecTV.  Unfortunately, both are supplied by AT&T.  Both offer A&E.  Should A&E cease to be offered on DirecTV AND Uverse, then we will have to look at some other alternatives (assuming that such exist) in order to access LivePD and the surrounding pantheon of LivePD spin-offs.

We can always cancel either/both Uverse and DirecTV.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@Bermans wrote:

We have both Uverse and DirecTV.  Unfortunately, both are supplied by AT&T.  Both offer A&E.  Should A&E cease to be offered on DirecTV AND Uverse, then we will have to look at some other alternatives (assuming that such exist) in order to access LivePD and the surrounding pantheon of LivePD spin-offs.

We can always cancel either/both Uverse and DirecTV.

All TV providers go through negotiations. There is no TV provider alternate that doesn't. They don't own the channels so cannot force them to stay on. This is why they all have in their terms that programming/channels are subject to change at any time.

The situation is not that A&E will not be offered anymore on DirecTV or Uverse. What is happening is their current agreement is coming up and they are negotiating the next deal. Yes if a new agreement is not reached by the deadline then A&E could choose to pull their feed (they own the broadcast rights) to use customers as leverage. If that happens (which is not guaranteed, only a possibility) then it is not they will be off permanently. In the unfortunate event that A&E pulls its feed, it would only be temporary while they continue negotiating.

So hopefully an agreement is reached by the deadline, or at the very least A&E allows an extension instead of going the hardball route to upset us viewers.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

After paying thousands of dollars for Direct TV and for sub-par service on my cell phone. I have switched to Verizon. So if I must, I will switch to an internet-based service to watch my show Live PD. Are the folks in Programming delirious? Why would you cut the fastest growing show on cable?

And I do not appreciate your company shutting down the 1 888 888-5989 number for your subscribers to make a complaint. That's why a call to the FCC, (The Federal Communications Commission) will make them shake in their boots. It's a crime to block consumer complaints. Gear Up Live PD Nation and let's go after the bad guys. Elaine Baer, Malibu, CA

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

hearst publications owns A&E

beww357

Master

• 

4.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Jrandomuser sorry, missed that one, guess I'm mad at them all. 🙂

As an old broadcaster I just find it very unprofessional to make any direct appeal to viewers like the networks are doing, If I were an advertiser I would not want to be adjacent to such a message. What can happen if viewers aren't paying attention (common) is they call the advertiser that airs next and complain, especially if a phone # is displayed. I've seen it happen many times. 🙂

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

A+E Networks, is an American broadcasting company that is a joint venture between Hearst Communications and Walt Disney Television. {edited for word filter evasion}

Brand User
ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

140.5K Messages

2 years ago

Our goal is always to deliver the content you want at a value that also makes sense to you. We hope to avoid any interruption to these channels that you care about.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Brand User
ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

140.5K Messages

2 years ago

We hear you and we’re disappointed to see A&E put you in the middle of their negotiations. We’ll continue to fight for the best deal for you.

Get started...

Ask a new question