Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Jul 8, 2008 2:15 PM

WAVY off-air (10-1) in Norfolk, VA?

For those not in the Hampton Roads area, WAVY is our local NBC channel...

For about the past week or two I'm getting absolutely zero signal via my off-air antenna on 10-1. However, I'm still getting the regular channel 10 via directv without any issues. The only time that I was able to get 10-1 was during Wimbledon this past weekend - but about an hour or so after it ended, 10-1 went completely black again... I contacted WAVY and they said it sounds like directv is blocking the signal from 10-1 for some reason, because they haven't changed anything on their end.

I'm curious about this because I know directv and LIN entered into an agreement about broadcasting in HD, and LIN owns WAVY. But what is really wierd is that my local FOX affliate is also owned by LIN and I'm getting channel 43-1 fine.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be? I called directv last night and after resetting/unplugging they couldn't tell me why I'm no longer getting chennel 10-1. In the end, they are mailing me a new HD-DVR, but the lady said that may not fix the problem and it was more of a "shot in the dark" kind of thing.

Anyone know what the problem might be, or is anyone else in the Norfolk area having the same issue? I'm hoping this somehow means I will be getting NBC in HD via directv any day now, but it seems odd that directv would block out my off-air signal beofre that actually happens...

Responses

• 

1 Message

a month ago

I am having the same problem, NO SIGNAL since last Thursday Jan. 16 evening on over air wavy 10-1 channel, and 43-1 also. I don't know what happened both channels have been good reliable signals until now.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

There is no way for anyone to block an OTA signal unless they jam the airwaves then the FCC will be on their tail.

According to their website

Repack – WAVY Rescan FAQ

Why is this happening?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) held a spectrum auction to help improve and expand wireless service across the country. This required some stations to change frequencies. As a part of the repack, WAVY will be required to change frequencies on January 17, 2020.

Will I need to do anything to continue watching WAVY?

If you use an antenna to receive WAVY, you will need to simply rescan your TV. To rescan, use your remote and click on “Menu”. Go to the “Channels” tab, click enter or ok. Click on “scan channels or find channels” and start the scanning process.. You can usually find instructions by pressing the “set-up” or “menu” buttons on your remote control if you are having problems.

When will the transition take place?

The transition will take place on January 17, 2020 at 12:00pm EST.

I watch WAVY on cable or satellite. What does this mean for me?

Cable and satellite subscribers will not need to do anything to continue receiving WAVY. Your provider will make the necessary adjustments to ensure that you continue to receive programming.

For DISH Network Customers with an antenna, you will need to perform a channel scan to continue using your antenna with your receiver.

Need additional help?

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

These two stations share transmitting equipment and have just completed the FCC-mandated repack. You need to rescan them with your OTA tuner to get them mapped to the correct frequency.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.