Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
janehrn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Sat, Jun 15, 2019 10:53 PM

Software upgrades

Is there any way to stop the automatic software upgrades on Direct tv. I tape shows during the night and they are always interrupted by the updates,about 10 minutes worth. Thank you. 

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

8 months ago

That's an old release. You need to allow the box to upgrade then the requests to upgrade will stop

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

8 months ago

Nope. Updates only come out once every 6 months or even longer.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
janehrn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 months ago

I get upgrades several times a day and i dont know how many through the night

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

8 months ago

What is the model number of the receiver?

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

8 months ago

@janehrn wrote:

I get upgrades several times a day and i dont know how many through the night

Then something is wrong. 

Post back with your DVR/Receiver model number and its software version (under the System Information menu). 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
janehrn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 months ago

H44/500

janehrn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 months ago

H44/500

0xac8

janehrn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 months ago

Thank you. Its a brand new box to me,only a few weeks old. I hope it stops soon,its a real pain to be watching something and have it do that. It does give you the option to delay it but im not always right there to do that..

Thank you again. Jane

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

8 months ago

The latest release is "iin the stream" for your box. That means it should just upgrade. Next timeit tries to upgrade let it run through to the end and then post back with what you see. Do NOT delay the upgrade

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

8 months ago

You cannot opt out of updates as they are not optional. However, it should not update very often, going months between updates.

When you receive a box, it may have to do an initial update depending on how long it has been sitting waiting to go out to somebody. They just ship it and allow the satellite stream to provide any final updates it needs.

So let the box complete the update (don't tell it to do it later) and then check the software version. As long as update completes, then it should be quite a while until it needs to do so again.

If however, the update doesn't take, then you may need to unplug the power cord from the box for at least 20 seconds. This would dump anything stuck in residual memory/cache and then do a fresh boot. This would dump the guide data itself, which should be acquired again within 24 hours. Does not forget what recordings you already have scheduled, though of course it will not record during the reboot itself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
janehrn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 months ago

Updating for the 2nd time today that i know of,it could be more. The first time was about 10:45 this morning. Takes about 12 minutes. After the download the software version was the same as i posted on Sunday. 

Right now it is saying for new software (11B2)See picture

Finished and still same software version 0xac8

B28719AF-5030-4192-87E1-9079C7E2F6E9.jpeg

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

8 months ago

@janehrn , like I said, something is wrong if it keeps trying to update unsuccessfully. Perhaps you have a satellite reception issue. Or your box is defective. Post back your satellite readings please ....

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x
25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA x x x
25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (11 total at 99º(ca))
[National HD channels]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(cb))
[National HD channels]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x NA NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
[National HD channels]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb))
[National HD channels]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x NA NA
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

8 months ago

The H44 is not a DVR unless you have the external hard drive kit.  There is something wrong with the H44 not sure if the hard drive kit would cause this so try updating without it connected, if it still doesn't update then it needs to be replaced again.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

8 months ago

Either there is an issue with signal strength properly receiving the update, or the box itself has an issue acquiring and installing. In addition to check the signal strengths as show above, have you done the full power reset (unplug power for min 20 seconds) as suggested? Just checking to make sure it had the opportunity to clear anything stuck in memory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
janehrn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 months ago

Thanks for your responses

I dont have DVR

Pictures of satellite signal

7530341A-715A-4B3F-9891-0EBE4F3BF1BE.jpeg

8E50C906-BCD8-483A-91AD-7818A63EF806.jpeg

BF6C09E9-F635-4D1E-AA70-AB24ADFB1A3E.jpeg

CE1322FB-38B5-4B38-BD39-F46038467813.jpeg