Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Mentor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Sep 10, 2019 8:54 PM

Possibly Losing DirectTV Channels - ABC, ESPN, DISNEY and others

This is beyond frustrating and must stop. Today across the bottom of my TV a message explained how DirectTV may lose ABC, ESPN, Disney, Freeform and others. It is crazy that us customers may possibly lose channels we watch daily. We just went through this 2 months ago with CBS and other channels we watch. DirectTV needs to do something to make this stop before losing the channels or we will be forced to take our business elsewhere where the company fights for their customers. Ridiculous!!

Responses

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

a year ago

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know. Why don’t you ask them. That’s what they’ve been doing. Besides their pathetic CEO has pretty much said as much:

That's not how it works. If you propose a conspiracy theory, you're the one who has to make sense. You also have to provide proof. Otherwise, it's just paranoia.

What AT&T has been doing is refusing to agree to more expensive rates from providers, and the providers removing their channels for leverage. It's part of the business, has always happened, and is happening more now because profits from cable TV are now almost non-existent so either the cost of the channels has to drop or AT&T raises rates so high that it prices itself out of the business.

As for the CEO, nowhere in that article does he say anything like what you suggested.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

a year ago

@KWASMO wrote:

Yesterday the investment group Elliott Management announced it now owns $3.2 billion of AT&T stock and that it’s pushing for AT&T to sell off DIRECT. According to this long letter, AT&T purchased DIRECTV at its peak and its streaming version DIRECTV NOW (now called AT&T TV Now) has been “poorly executed.” Because of this, Elliott Management is pushing for AT&T to sell off DIRECTV.

Hopefully AT&T will sell Directv…….     Directv was a lot better before AT&T bought them. 

AT&T  lost 168,000 subscribers of DirecTV Now, an online service with linear channels that's similar to traditional satellite and cable TV. AT&T said the DirecTV Now customer loss was "due to higher prices and less promotional activity," meaning that customers have balked at price increases and a refusal to extend discounts.
The Premium TV loss brought AT&T down to 21.6 million customers in that category, while the DirecTV Now loss brought that service down to 1.3 million customers. Including both, AT&T's total number of video subscribers dropped from 25.4 million in Q2 2018 to 22.9 million in Q2 2019.
The loss of 946,000 TV subscribers easily outstripped last quarter's AT&T net loss of 627,000 subscribers. "AT&T said it expects a similar level of video losses to continue in the current quarter,

i would rather see it spun off as its own company, like it was before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
marcindublin

Guru

• 

416 Messages

a year ago

AT&T has decided to make a stand. Programming costs are simply out of control. Nexstar wanted to double their fee for retransmission rights. It's a fantastic opportunity for providers. After all, they can raise rates with impunity, tell the end users of the product to blame a third party and laugh all the way to the bank. The only think I can criticize AT*T for is locking customers into long term contracts knowing that this is likely to happen.

It's not coincidence that networks have sued to stop the offering of ala carte TV. If ESPN had to justify its price to the consumer (rather than having AT&T as a middleman), they would go broke. 

https://www.techhive.com/article/3438316/dont-blame-att-and-directv-if-espn-gets-blacked-out.html

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

a year ago

@mdram4x4 wrote:

i would rather see it spun off as its own company, like it was before.

There's a reason DirecTV put itself up for sale in the first place. If DirecTV gets dumped by AT&T and can't get bought by another company, it'll go out of business.

AT&T never really wanted to be in the cable business. It bought DirecTV because it had a vision of combining its content with broadband, making money by providing TV programming and the data to stream it. As one of its biggest opponents, AT&T probably also hoped Net Neutrality could be killed so it could charge content providers like Netflix more and funnel customers to its own video services instead. When that didn't happen, DirecTV became a huge albatross dragging down AT&T.

I've said it before on this forum, people who complain about cable TV will miss it when it's gone. For all the complaining, cable television is a pretty sweet deal. In five years, I think all the channels will have their own streaming services or go out of business. At that point, you'll be juggling five or six streaming services at $5-$50 each, thinking fondly of the days when you got hundreds of channels for a fraction of the price.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

a year ago

problem is who would buy it?

comcast?

dish?

ive had dish, until charlie gets his hands out of it, i dont want to go back

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

a year ago

If ESPN had to justify its price to the consumer (rather than having AT&T as a middleman), they would go broke.

Customer: I want ESPN! If DirecTV drops ESPN, I'll pay for it myself!

ESPN: $50 a month, please.

Customer: What?! That's crazy! Why won't DirecTV pay for ESPN instead?

Similar to the people who complained about DirecTV refusing to pay CBS while at the same time complaining about the high cost of CBS All Access.

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

a year ago

@mdram4x4 In this market, I don't think anyone would buy it. With content providers charging more and customers unwilling to pay more, cable television is a terrible business to be in right now.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

a year ago

you would think the more customers you have the better you could negotiate

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Watching channel 7 WLS tv here in Chicago, and I am seeing a message about the possibility of LOSING this station. I now this just happened a few weeks back with Channel 2 also in Chicago but that came back. I have ATT U-verse and want to know if this will effect us as well? Also why not leave well enough alone, as this is supposed to be a free station.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Thank you!

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.8K Messages

a year ago

Yes.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

How can U-verse TV remain a viable platform with the continued degradation of many of its most popular channels? I'll personally seek other mediums if the Disney network of channels including ESPN are dropped; I'm already coping with the loss of the NFL network but will not tolerate any additional erosion of this service!!! 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Are we going to be able to watch ABC7 channel in San Jose, CA? We don't get KRON4 already. I truly hope you're not taking ABC7 away. This is the channel we watch daily and most of the time. We just switched to Directv two months ago. It is frustrating that this can happen. We have had Xfinity for many years and never had this problem losing channels. Directv/AT&T has to step up your negotiations to keep your customers!

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.8K Messages

a year ago

DTV doesn't remove any channels, the owners of the channel removes the feed.  How much more do you want to pay to keep it?

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

a year ago

@mdram4x4 wrote:

you would think the more customers you have the better you could negotiate

That used to be the case, but the providers see the writing on the wall. They know cable is on its last legs. That's why they're scrambling to get their independent streaming services up and running. I don't think it's a coincidence that Disney and CBS are playing hardball when they have their own streaming services. If they pull their channels, that's just more customers for Disney+ and CBS All Access.

Get started...

Ask a new question