AT&T Community Forums
bikebuds2

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

Sat, Dec 3, 2005 12:02 AM

OTA antenna questions

Just had HD installed with an ota antenna

The installer left me no info on the antenna or dish, they took it with them.

What type of ota antenna is it?

From what I've researched it should be pointed at 41 degrees east of north to get most of our ota digital broadcasts.

I have an H20 receiver and a tv with an HD tuner. Can I split the signal to both? Also, will the ota antenna work with a multiswitch? Mine goes from 47-2500mHz.
If I can't split the signal, I'd prefer to hook it directly to the television. Will that work?

The installer said the antenna won't work here. I'm only 25 miles from NYC (as the crow flies anyway)
I looked briefly today, it seems it's pointed directly north.

Thanks for any help.

here's my equipment:

H20 receiver, Panasonic dvr/dvd recorder, Toshiba 56MX195 dlp hd tv.
2 Sony satA50 sd receivers and other tvs.

Responses

shannon02

• 

20.9K Messages

5 years ago

The OTA won't work with the HR20 or the DVD/VHS as they have analog tuners and the broadcasts are digital.  You would need an digital to analog converer.

Where did this come from?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

53.3K Messages

5 years ago

It's highly unusual for a DirecTV installer to install an off-air antenna.  Can you post a photo?  

Typically the off-air antenna would have its own coax cable to feed your HDTV or H20 off-air tuner.  Older setups (not HiDef) might use a "diplexer" to combine the off-air antenna feed with your DirecTV satellite coax.  If you've isolated the off-air antenna coax, you can certainly use a regular RF Coax Splitter to feed both the H20 and your HDTV's ANT input. 

Note that Shannon is incorrect about the H20 off-air tuner ... it does receive/tune digital TV signals with an off-air antenna. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

53.3K Messages

5 years ago

By the way, if you want to see what channels you might be able to receiver at your address, and what type of off-air antenna is required, check out www.tvfool.com 

shannon02

• 

20.9K Messages

5 years ago

This says it was posted in 2005 and with 700 odd views I think it is true.

litzdog911

53.3K Messages

5 years ago

@shannon02 wrote:

This says it was posted in 2005 and with 700 odd views I think it is true.

No, we've seen this weird date issue on posts here before.  There was no DirecTV forum in 2005, so that date can't be correct. 

Get started...

Ask a new question