Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
H

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Jun 10, 2020 10:51 PM

My Genie remote keeps turning on my AV equipment and it isn't even paired.

This issue just recently started up after using the same equipment (DirecTv receiver & Vizio TV) as well as the Genie remote for several years with no problems. However, now any button I push on the Genie remote (with exception of the Volume button) turns on my Sony AV Receiver. Let me be very clear that I don't want the Genie remote to control anything but the DirecTv and the TV.

So I followed the steps to re-program the Genie remote and then I paired it with my TV only...I did not pair it with anything else, yet nearly every button turns on my Sony AV equipment. It doesn't matter if its set on IR or RF, the remote somehow still controls the AV equipment. So I had another Genie remote from another room. I re-program that Genie remote to work with the main DirecTv receiver, then paired it to the Vizio TV and that's all. This remote does the same thing as the other one - any button I push other than Volume turns on my AV receiver. I'm not sure why this started happening all of the sudden, but I certainly would like it to stop so I don't have to unplug my AV receiver whenever it isn't in use.

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

2 months ago

Turn off HDMI CEC, RC7X remotes don't have the codes to turn on/off any soundbars/ A/V receivers.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

@shannon02 

If the remote isn’t capable of pairing with an audio device then why do I have the option to Program Audio Device right under Change TV in the Program Remote screen. I have clicked on this before and my Sony AV receiver’s model number is in the list.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

It can control the volume.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

You were right. Turning off the HDMI on my AV receiver did the trick. Thank You!!

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

You can also turn it off on the DTV receiver.

• 

1 Message

Thankfully, I finally found a thread describing this problem! Recently I got a new TV (LG OLED C9).  In order to watch any of the apps (Netflix, etc,) loaded on this TV, I must use HDMI arc.  Otherwise, I get no volume from the program.  I prefer to listen to the TV's internal speakers most of the time.  Unfortunately, every time I make any selection with my Genie remote other than volume, my UNPAIRED Yamaha av receiver turns on and the surround speakers are engaged.  I'm forced to turn off the av receiver any time I make a Genie selection in order to reactivate the TV speakers.  Is this because I'm using HDMI?  I'm looking at a new av receiver that has HDMI eARC.  Do you think this problem will still exist with eARC?  thanks

Get started...

Ask a new question