Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
J

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Jun 1, 2020 3:56 AM

Loss of access to CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX.

Our zip code is specific for Sterling County, and we live in Sterling City, Direct TV identifies us as living in San Angelo, TX. Our "local market" network stations do come from San Angelo, but it is 43 miles away and those local stations are available on DISH as our network affiliates. However, they are not available on DIRECT TV.

Does Direct TV plan to begin local network affiliate channels, or do we have to disconnect from DIRECT TV and change our proramming to DISH in order to receive the major networks? We will all do that if that is the only way to get the major networks. We live too far away to get them any other way--years ago we had TV antennnas requiring massive towers electric rotors to turn them, and they still barely came in with snowy pictures and fuzzy sound. I certainly have no desire to return to those days, especially when a competitor has made arrangements to get us the networks through the "local area" (not exactly local, but they do serve our area and are what cable providers in San Angelo proper and the regional viewing area provide.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ATTTimCS

Employee

• 

233 Messages

2 months ago

Hi @JayNana, that's a great question and one we've been getting a lot. You can find all the details at the following link, https://www.att.com/tvchannelupdates/. Below is a summary to answer your question.

As of June 1, 2020, a new change in the law means select DIRECTV customers living in certain communities can no longer access ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC or CW as they had before.

Until recently, the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act Reauthorization (STELAR) Act allowed satellite companies like DIRECTV to provide certain out-of-market broadcast network stations, typically from New York or Los Angeles. Unfortunately, Congress decided not to renew key portions of this law, over the objections of AT&T, consumer groups, and others.

Thanks

Tim, AT&T Community Strategy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
lgaret

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

9 months ago

If Stelar is not reauthorized by the government will I lose channels in 2020? example:  MSNBC? 

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled reauthorization of Stelar and loss of channels
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

Why should you?  What has Stelar to dowith this?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

What is "Stelar"?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

https://www.multichannel.com/news/nab-launches-fight-against-stelar-renewal

STELAR law (Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act)

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

@shannon02 wrote:

https://www.multichannel.com/news/nab-launches-fight-against-stelar-renewal

Thanks. So the National Association of Broadcasters think that rural folks should be cut off???  How sweet!

“If Congress fails to re-authorize STELAR, hundreds of thousands of consumers, mostly in rural areas, would lose their broadcast channels from satellite," said Trent Duffy, spokesperson for the cable and satellite-backed American Television Alliance. "Congress should not only re-authorize STELAR so rural America can continue receiving all their broadcast channels, but also modernize the retransmission consent rules, which currently favor broadcasters at the expense of consumers and competition.”

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

This relates to the delivery of network stations from outside the DMA (usually the DNS networks) into the handful of DMAs that don't have their own locals. Still has nothing to do with MSNBC.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

@lgaret wrote:

If Stelar is not reauthorized by the government will I lose channels in 2020? example:  MSNBC? 

Not MSNBC itself. This more relates to retransmission of "locals", which matters for rural customers who cannot receive locals via regular antenna or may not be in the market of any particular local needing an option to get the DNS version.

I am very curious how going forward this will affect the increasingly problematic carriage negotiations with locals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

Is this a joke? AT&T raises the price, and a week later sends an email saying that I need to act to reauthorize stelar? You know... to keep my price from going up.

You never cease to amaze me AT&T.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

You're misunderstanding what is happening. DirecTV wants the FCC to reauthorize Stelar and so they are asking people to support them by writing to the fcc.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

No, I understand.

I guess you don't understand frustration after a products price has been doubled in a relatively short period of time. Then, just days after another unexpected price increase, said company has the gall to warn that unless the customer takes action against the government, they may be forced to raise prices again. 

Exact words being "SAVE YOUR TV" and "higher fees passed on to consumers like you"

So, why wasn't I warned of a way to fight last weeks price increase?

Anyone want to wager on whether we see a price increase in the future, and continued authorization on STELAR?

Thanks for explaining it to me, though.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

Stopping one source from a price increase does not stop other sources (i.e. channel owners) from their costs going up. They all add up. AT&T/DirecTV is trying to keep it manageable.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

Great point.

I'm glad they were able to sneak in a quick price increase for themselves before they have to tell us about the price increase because of others.

Keep apologizing and looking the other way for a company that has an incredible history of sneaky billing and business practices.

How you guys liking that 15GB "bonus" data for $10/month that you didn't ask for and can't remove?

Thanks for the laugh!

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

what price increase? mine has not changed

did you have credits expire?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

Don't worry about it. Thanks for your concern though. 

AT&T justify their increases through emails.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

att? as in cell?

not directv?

this is the directv area, and stelar does not affect att

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

Wow. 

Yes. AT&T owns and operates cellular and television services. DirectTV and DirectTV Now(AT&T NOW after rebranding) being examples.

Stelar does affect these. Keep in mind, AT&T sent me an email telling me that it affects my service. 

The recent AT&T forced $10 "bonus" cellular data is not affected by Stelar. You are correct there. It is merely another example of increasing existing customers bills across the whole business model. Sarcasm on my part, if you will. Absolutely true forced increase though. 

Let me post this here:

AT&T promised lower prices after Time Warner merger—it’s raising them instead 

Just two months ago, AT&T said in a court filing that buying Time Warner would allow it to lower TV prices. The US Department of Justice tried to stop the merger, arguing that it would raise prices for consumers, but a federal judge sided with AT&T. The merger was completed on June 15.

AT&T scoffed at the Justice Department's argument that the merger would raise prices. The telecom giant wrote in its post-trial brief that the merger will "enabl[e] AT&T and Time Warner to reduce consumer prices."

Can you post an example of them lowering prices? My DirectTV Now price has doubled in a very short period. Others lost channels and saw increases. There are SO MANY examples of prices being raised. You must be aware of that, you're an ACE here.

But, let's talk semantics.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

@mandelbrot wrote:

Wow. 

Yes. AT&T owns and operates cellular and television services. DirectTV and DirectTV Now(AT&T NOW after rebranding) being examples.

Stelar does affect these. Keep in mind, AT&T sent me an email telling me that it affects my service. 

The recent AT&T forced $10 "bonus" cellular data is not affected by Stelar. You are correct there. It is merely another example of increasing existing customers bills across the whole business model. Sarcasm on my part, if you will. Absolutely true forced increase though. 

Let me post this here:

AT&T promised lower prices after Time Warner merger—it’s raising them instead 

Just two months ago, AT&T said in a court filing that buying Time Warner would allow it to lower TV prices. The US Department of Justice tried to stop the merger, arguing that it would raise prices for consumers, but a federal judge sided with AT&T. The merger was completed on June 15.

AT&T scoffed at the Justice Department's argument that the merger would raise prices. The telecom giant wrote in its post-trial brief that the merger will "enabl[e] AT&T and Time Warner to reduce consumer prices."

Can you post an example of them lowering prices? My DirectTV Now price has doubled in a very short period. Others lost channels and saw increases. There are SO MANY examples of prices being raised. You must be aware of that, you're an ACE here.

But, let's talk semantics.

stelar = he Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act

but you will never see lower tv prices, unless people are willing to did and and support thier provider during blackouts.

channels raise prices, and it gets passed on

i

Since 2010, millions of Americans have seen dark screens instead of watching their favorite channels due to more than 1,000 broadcaster-initiated blackouts. With 230 blackouts, 2019 is the worst year for TV blackouts on record.

• 230 blackouts in 2019 – Retrans Fees: $11.7B (estimated)
  • 165 blackouts in 2018 – Retrans Fees: $10.5B
  • 213 blackouts in 2017 – Retrans Fees: $9.3B
  • 104 blackouts in 2016 – Retrans Fees: $7.9 B
  • 193 blackouts in 2015 – Retrans Fees: $6.4B
  • 94 blackouts in 2014 – Retrans Fees: $4.8B
  • 119 blackouts in 2013 – Retrans Fees: $3.6B
  • 90 blackouts in 2012 – Retrans Fees: $2.4B
  • 42 blackouts in 2011 – Retrans Fees: $1.7B
  • 8 blackouts in 2010 – Retrans Fees: $1.2B

** Retrans fees in $billions based on data from SNL Kagan

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

Good talk, good talk.

lgaret

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

In this administration nothing 'anywhere' will be done for consumers, especially rural and/or poor!! I can only hope I'm wrong.Sorry for those who will lose channels. 
lgaret

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

If people aren't able to receive their locals, from what networks will they get their 'national' news? I've got a guess but I'm curious what you think.

Thanks.

Lois

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

@lgaret wrote:

If people aren't able to receive their locals, from what networks will they get their 'national' news? I've got a guess but I'm curious what you think.

Thanks.

Lois

This is not about folks receiving their own local stations. It's about folks being eligible to receive "Distant Network Stations" from New York and/or Los Angeles when they're out-of-range of their local stations. 

• 

3 Messages

If this is a matter of law, then it is because of Congress (Law) not directly AT&T responsibility. That said, I do hope AT&T can find a solution. We depend on those channels and have no other way to get them where I live.

• 

12 Messages

And, if they wanted to, DirecTV could offer us our local channels. But instead, DirecTV decided to leave us rural customers (who cannot get locals off-air and who jumped through all the hoops 20 years ago to get waivers) without any means to receive network channels (Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS). Thanks!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

The networks lobbied against the STELAR Act being renewed, and won. So going forward TV providers will not be allowed to provide DNS channels anymore. They may only provide in-market locals. www.directv.com/locals

For any remaining rural areas that still don't show locals, hopefully they would be updated to be in someone's market so that DirecTV may provide them locals.

• 

12 Messages

So, in a nutshell, in three days those of us who live in rural areas of West Texas (and who jumped through all the hoops 20 years ago to get the waivers from "local" stations) are going to lose ALL OF OUR NETWORKS INCLUDING PBS! DirecTV could easily offer us our local channels but DirecTV decided not to. Since we cannot access our "local" channels off-air . . . we're screwed. Thanks Congress and thanks AT&T. I have two of these accounts. So, come June 1, I'll be cancelling my over 20-year relationship with DirecTV on two of my three accounts. On the upside, I guess I'll be saving over $600/month. I've really enjoyed the programming. I remember what it was like trying to get a single channel off-air back in the day. I am (Edited per community guidelines)-off at both AT&T and Congress. THANK YOU BOTH FOR LEAVING A VAST SWATH OF WEST TEXAS WITHOUT ANY MEANS TO VIEW NATIONAL NEWS OR NETWORK PROGRAMMING.

• 

12 Messages

Thank you Juniper for your information. But . . . in just three days, I will no longer be able to receive any network television or PBS on two of my three DirecTV accounts. So, I'll be cancelling these two accounts next week (and save over $600/month). Those of us who live in rural areas of our country are used to being screwed. We don't have access to the internet and now we don't have access to network television programming. Pity.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

I would recheck the local lookup tool before canceling, just to see if there have been any updates. If not, good luck wherever you go from here.

• 

12 Messages

Thank you again Juniper. I did call DirecTV today (after wandering around AT&T's useless website for a hour or so) inquiring about the possibility of adding our local channels. The nice lady on the phone looked something up (based on my county and the county next door . . . one of my ranches) and came back to report the local channels are not being offered. She did hold out hope though that maybe . . . one day. So it doesn't look good. I did take the opportunity to email both my Senators and our Congressman to thank them for taking such good care of us here in rural West Texas again. This is really troubling. I mean we literally cannot get any "local" channels out here . . . so no DirecTV means no TV at all. Mercifully we still can get radio reception (occasionally). Seems like we're moving backward. All my grandparents had was radio; now my generation has been forced to revert back to that era. Ridiculous and shameful. DirecTV could add local channels if they wanted to. Congress could have reauthorized the STELAR Act, but they didn't. So, we suffer.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

Sorry you had to wander around the site, here is the link again so you don't have to go searching: www.directv.com/locals

The only hope is that with the expiration of the STELAR Act that those remaining rural areas will be added to a neighboring Designated Market Area (DMA) so that DirecTV would be able to provide locals of some sort. DirecTV is only able to provide locals in your DMA per Federal regulations. If you aren't in any channel's DMA, then DirecTV cannot provide locals. This is where the DMA lines need to be redrawn to avoid those blank rural areas.

Personally I wouldn't pay for a TV provider just for local channels. I got DirecTV for all the programming locals wouldn't provide. But I respect everybody has different viewing preferences.

• 

12 Messages

Thank you Juniper. I didn't know all that about the DMA. That will give me something else to hassle my Congressmen about. Very interesting. Again, thank you and have a terrific weekend.

Scholar

• 

269 Messages

@lgaret @ATTHelp

The waivers don't matter anymore (Stelar officially ended) but Directv did negotiate new agreements with CBS/NBC/FOX, some subscribers are reporting that they still have FOX/NBC E/W feeds but they have lost CBS.

It is possible that your channels were turned off before the new agreements were made, I would call in and see if they can be turned on, maybe only FOX and NBC can be turned back on but it is better than nothing and worth a shot.

Also note that the customer service reps might not have the proper information, so if they deny you, I would continue to call in every month until something new gets reported.

Also check the DBS Forums or the TV Answer Man site as there are frequent updates on this situation, just google for those as this site does not allow many outside links.

Good luck and if you are able to get them or some of them turned back on please tell the service rep you have a relative in the same boat, how did he or she do it, and if they tell you please report the information back here, stay safe.

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

I got a letter from Directv saying i will lose my east and west coast feed. i have had this since the late 1990’s. they said i can only get the local channels. is that correct? i have letters from the networks granting me waivers to get the east and west coast feed.

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled East and west coast feed
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

Yes, the FCC didn't renew the rule that allowed all providers to use the DNS channels when they couldn't provide the locals way back when.

• 

2 Messages

@shannon02 

Thank you for contacting me. As your senator, it is important for me to hear from you.

I appreciate you sharing the notice DIRECTV sent informing you of how changes to the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act Reauthorization (STELAR) Act will prevent you from accessing out-of-market broadcast networks.

In December 2019, Congress passed and the President signed into law H.R.1865, a fiscal year 2020 domestic and international-related minibus appropriations bill. Included in this minibus was the Satellite Television Community Protection and Promotion Act of 2019, and the Television Viewer Protection Act of 2019. These sections made the Section 119 license permanent for a select group of “unserved households” such as RVs, long distance truckers, and households in short markets that do not receive at least one of the four major broadcasters. Satellite providers may qualify for a Section 119 license if they deliver full local service into all 210 designated market areas (DMAs) by May 31, 2020. The Copyright Royalty Board will continue to set Section 119 rates. These sections also permanently extended the requirement for entities to negotiate in good faith, with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) retaining its ability to resolve disputes leading to service disruptions. The bill further stipulated that broadcasters are permanently prohibited from entering into exclusive retransmission consent agreements and that cable or satellite providers with under 500,000 subscribers may negotiate retransmission consent with broadcast station groups providing service to more than one-fifth of U.S. households owning a television. Finally, it provides certain consumer service requirements related to cost disclosures, equipment fees, and cancellations.

The accompanying bill report language for H.R.1865 directs the director of the United States Copyright Office to study the impact of the newly enacted changes to the STELAR Act and share its report with Congress.

I understand that you want to continue receiving your previous television channels. Please know that I will continue to monitor this issue. Your comments will be helpful to me should the full Senate examine how STELAR changes have impacted broadcast services.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me. I hope you will continue to keep me informed of federal matters that are important to you. My offices in Iowa, as well as in Washington, D.C., are here to serve you.

Sincerely,

Chuck Grassley

United States Senate

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

@lwulf408

I'm assuming you are sharing a transcript of a letter you received and that you are not a senator. Cannot post in an official capacity with a anonymous account/username.

Simply put, STELAR Act expired so TV providers were no longer allowed to provide DNS (East/West Coast) channels anymore. However, DirecTV has been working with the major networks for an alternative agreement to get around this. Beyond that, everyone is waiting on more info.

Scholar

• 

269 Messages

@mandbca @directv

The waivers don't matter anymore but Directv did negotiate new agreements with CBS/NBC/FOX, some subscribers are reporting that they still have FOX/NBC E/W feeds but they have lost CBS.

It is possible that your channels were turned off before the new agreements were made, I would call in and see if they can be turned on, maybe only FOX and NBC can be turned back on but it is better than nothing and worth a shot.

Also note that the customer service reps might not have the proper information, so if they deny you, I would continue to call in every month until something new gets reported.

Also check the DBS Forums or the TV Answer Man site as there are frequent updates on this situation, just google for those as this site does not allow many outside links.

Good luck and if you are able to get them or some of them turned back on please tell the service rep you have a relative in the same boat, how did he or she do it, and if they tell you please report the information back here, stay safe.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 months ago

They either want more money then what DTV will pay them or DTV doesn't have the transponders needed for them at this time but one would assume when their new sats come online if they are not already they would have added more capacity,

• 

2 Messages

@shannon02 Thanks for the info. I've been on hold with Direct TV for 2 hours now, because my husband is so disturbed by the loss of networks. Despite the hundreds of dollars we spend each month, we hardly ever watch more than 10 total channels. All the others are surplus but the programming is so difficult to obtain that our subscription is outrageously expensive. When I get into the third hour I believe I will have just have to cancel and switch to DISH. This is absurd; the recorded "we are sorry for the delay, and we appreciate your patience" may work for the government, but it's ridiculous for someone that is sending a monthly bill for "service."

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

DirecTV (not Direct TV) may only provide you locals for you Designated Market Area (DMA) by Federal regulations. Though they must have an agreement with the local channel owner of course.

Verify by www.directv.com/locals for what DirecTV should be able to provide you. Goes by zip code, but sometimes the county may matter.

You are getting the service that you pay for. But that does not obligate you to get channels that DirecTV does not have available for you. As for the hold times, that is a result of Covid-19. With all the stay at home orders, they were required to close many call centers temporarily. Hopefully in the coming weeks they will begin to return to normal staffing levels, provided nothing further happens with the pandemic.

The only loss of networks should be for the DNS channels. The networks lobbied to let the STELAR Act expire. TV providers wanted to still be able to provide them. The networks won, so the DNS feeds go away.

Scholar

• 

269 Messages

@Juniper

Side deals were cut with CBS/FOX/NBC to continue DNS for some customers, some misinformation being propagated on this site, hopefully Directv can offer more clarity as to why DNS subscribers are all reporting different things, some keeping FOX/NBC, some only keeping FOX, some losing all of them.

But what I have read in numerous posts, that DNS is gone, that is not true.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

These "last minute" deals are unclear. We shall have to wait for info to come out on what exactly these means for the former DNS subscribers now that the STELAR Act has expired. Whatever the updated agreements are they are so new that there isn't much details on them yet.

Scholar

• 

269 Messages

I agree, they are unclear, so why are you writing that the DNS are all gone and there is nothing to be done about that, let's stick with facts please.

@ATTTimCS , Tim, if you are still out there, I know friends and family that are actually afraid to call, some of them have retained NBC/FOX distant feeds, they lost CBS or ABC or both, they'd like to know if the new CBS side deal will allow them to get back CBS but they are afraid by calling in, somehow, Directv will say, hey look, NBC/FOX is on, you should lose those two, sounds farfetched but this is Directv, anything is possible.

I doubt that is the case, I think that NBC/FOX cut the deals first, with a wide latitude, anyone that still has those turned on, it is not a glitch, I believe it must be rock solid, but still, Tim, without any direction many are lost, if you can shine a light on this, it would help us all, good luck to all.

Juniper