Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Mon, Aug 28, 2017 8:46 PM

"Location not Authorized" error message on LG OLED with RVU

This TV does not have a receiver, it uses the internal RVU.  I've had it set up for 6 months with no problems (4k, PPV all work fine).  Just recently, this error message appeared and obviously we don't get picture.  I have a separate receiver that runs through my home theater and that works fine. The home network and other TVs are running fine and the main Genie HD DVR is good.   I called CS but the operator had a hard time understanding that there is no "box" going into the TV.  I was pressed for time, so I cut the call short without a resolution.

Any suggestions?  Thanks

Responses

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Re: JoeN00 (Teacher)...

Possibly the only things I've done differently that you didn't mention are:

1. Force a re-download of the DTV software upon boot up by entering 02468 at the "Hello" screen.

2. Go online and refresh all DTV equipment. Doubt it made any difference, but I should mention I did this while the Genie and TV were both unplugged.

Neither one may help, but I find it odd that some people are never getting it to work at all.

jkal25

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

3 years ago

So, one of the things I like about the RVU is it does not need to COAX run - the TV just needs to be connected to my internal network.  I know, I know, DTV doesn't like this but since the HR20 days that's how I've run, and it's been reliable as heck.  So all I need to get my TV somewhere now is a TV, power, and home network connection.  In troubleshooting this specific issue, they did use the DECA's, and no change.

The finger pointing is awful, but honestly, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, all the other carriers can figure it out - they all make apps that sit on an LG TV, why can't DTV manage the app and just put it in LG's store like the other big streamers?

As for the AVR, I actually changed to have the TV do the switching, and just use ARC to send the audio back the AVR, then all the internal TV app's send the sound back well.

Kalitaz

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

3 years ago

The only problem is that the RVU is supposed to be coax to BBD then from the BBD with Ethernet to tv. Every one of you having the problem have skipped having the RVU installed properly- now grant you it worked for a long time but now it does not.
jkal25

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

3 years ago

Putting the BBD in place doesn't solve the problem.  This is clearly a software issue.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

That is absolutely not true.

ONLY if Ethernet network is not present, then you utilize DECA to provide network connection through Coax line. the latency of properly configured network though a switch is much lower than DECA through Coax. Also you have the ability of Qos the traffic for your streaming signal though the switch.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

3 years ago

but deca is officially supported, using your switch is not

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
jkal25

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

3 years ago

We're getting a little distracted here - and while I'd love to debate the technical difference between switched gigabit Ethernet and coax as a network... 🙂 ... DECA or not, there's a problem here that I'm yet to hear anyone from DTV (here, via tech support, or via my escalated ticket) admit, never mind try to resolve.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

3 years ago

so you tried it with a coax and deca? and it still didnt work?

lg software issue

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
jkal25

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

3 years ago

That is correct - using a DECA didn't solve it.  While it may be an LG issue (the RVU app on the TV hasn't been updated in well over a year - but the firmware has), it clearly started with 0xd80 on the Genie.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

3 years ago

Playing around with Deca etc won't solve this. For whatever reason, release 0xd80 is not working with LG RVU TVs. This might be a bug in the release, or it might be the release is doing something that is correct but the TV does not handle it correctly. Only LG and DirecTV can fix this!!

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Totally agree we need a fix for this. But just want to state that my TV is using a DECA, and it's working more often than not. TV is C6 with HR-54. Worked on first attempt turning it on today. May want to try more testing with a DECA and see if it changes anything.
Kalitaz

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

3 years ago

Totally incorrect - it was never designed to be used as an Ethernet only it needs the BBD to convert the signal. But do what you want - mine works fine connected properly and yours does not.
Kalitaz

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

3 years ago

I am just saying that everyone here with this issue had it connected incorrectly, same issue with CX who tried to connect every genie prior to the 54 with an Ethernet to internet - after time it would not work and then broke the genie. The TV has a BBD built into it and was supposed to have an external BBD connected via coax, people have bypassed how it is supposed to be installed and are having problems - by doing what they did maybe it finally broke the internal BBD over time or maybe the update was relying on the system being correctly connected and now there is a problem. But all these people are upset at DTV because it is not working - you did not have it connected correctly and who knows what the ramifications are. How are they supposed to fix something you will not install right.
JoeN00

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

@Kalitaz, keep defending DTV, but you have no idea how my TV is hooked up, so your assumption that it’s hooked up improperly is just a guess.  I had the RVU setup installed by DTV how they chose to do it, there is a BBD line in play, and tech support went through every connection with me for over two hours over two different calls, and had no issue with my setup.  The result?  “This location is not authorized.”  Every time I try. 

The real problem here is not who is to blame, or even what the issue really is. DTV pushes an update that knocked out service to some set of customers. I would just like to see them admit that they’re aware of the issue and are working on a solution, whether it’s a solution they will implement or LG. But no one will even admit that it’s an unresolved issue at this point. 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I did not install it wrong, DECA or not. There are 0 people at support that even know how to work with RVU. The are 0 installers that know how to work with it. This is a poorly supported feature and that’s the truth. ALL the blame lies with DTV. This whole RVU platform has been poorly executed from the get go. DTV knee from the start what it would take to make this work and they’ve not executed on that.

I don’t believe for a moment that there are LG OLED RVU users with the latest code with working service. This is going to take an age to get resolved and that’s a fact. DTV hasn’t even acknowledged there is a problem. These platforms can’t work without good testing and support that can react fast to document.

Bruce