Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Mar 25, 2017 1:27 AM

Direct TV Sucks

You will be watching shows and all of a sudden the signal is lost.  Constantly gets a 771 code and constantly freezes.  Why pay for cable if you can't watch TV shows.  I don't know why Att supports to use them and recommend for your bill to be lower.

Responses

litzdog911

• 

53.3K Messages

4 years ago

Something is wrong with satellite dish or cabling if you're "constantly" getting 771 Errors.  That should only happen during heavy rain/snow.

Most likely your dish has moved slightly, or moisture penetrated a coax cable connection somewhere.  Call DirecTV for a service visit.  It's free within 90-days of installation and if you have their Equipment Protection Plan.  Otherwise $99, regardless of what needs fixing.  

Keep us posted. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Same happened to me and why do I should I pay for repair protection when I am charged for equipment rental? The customer service rep told me is like car rental insurance and I said it is not. If a car breaks up, it gets replaced at no charge by the rental company the insurance is for a car wreck or accident. The system should always be working properly and never charged the customer for the company's systems defects. It is a principal - do not be scammed with another $10 monthly charge of something that should be basic service and a requirement of the cable service provider.
shannon02

• 

20.9K Messages

3 years ago

@odgencr Defective receivers are replaced for free with a $20 shipping fee, you own everything else to maintain.  There are videos on youtube if you want to aim the dish yourself.

The protection plan is optional but then you pay the $20 shipping fee,$99 service call fee and for remotes.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

3 years ago

You are not charged for equipment rental. The monthly bill is the same regardless if Directv owns the equipment (leased) or in the rare case if you paid $499 per HDDVR to own. You are charged for package, number of tvs on the service, and receiver services if you have DVR or such. And receiver services are for the entire account regardless if just one, some, or all boxes can use it. And only the boxes are owned by Directv, everything else is yours once installed (dish, wiring, etc.). So call Directv, troubleshoot the issue and if needed get a tech out or a box replaced.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
zenbutcher

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I am surprised by the responses for the DirecTV apologists.  Every response is its not DirecTVs responsibility, fault, services are impeccable, and on and on.  Unbelievable.

Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

3 years ago

@zenbutcher

All that was done here is explaining facts. No equipment rental, what Directv owns vs the customer. And yes the equipment protection plan covers the cost of delivery, service calls, and remotes. To the topic of the thread, a 771 error message needs to be troubleshooted to find the cause to see if it can be resolved by the customer themselves, or if they may need Directv to send a tech out on a service call.

We are other users trying to provide help and facts to others. It depends on the situation on who's fault it is, if any. Sometimes bad luck happens, sometimes it may be an issue on Directv/ATT's end, and sometimes and issue may be on a 3rd party (channel owner, sports league, etc). Just because you don't like the answers and appear to want everything to be Directv's fault, doesn't change the situation.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Just spent 3 hours on the phone with DirecTV. My bills have gone from $125 a month to $189 a month. Three different reps give me three different reasons two different supervisors promise two different things. I was never told I was being charged up the ying-yang to have a Genie, in fact I was told it was a free upgrade. I was never transferred to any Department, at the time, to explain any extra fees. One rep acknowledged the mistake and said they would prorate my account since March 2016 . then he shipped me over to that part of the company that would do the credit. guess what? he didn't take any notes and forward them like he said he would. they offered me fifty bucks i said that's unacceptable. biggest Crooks in the business. I'm sure this will get taken down but I'll keep posting it in various forums. Btw my total wait time was 3 hours between the 2 of them.
Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

3 years ago

@Surfhead

From context, sounds like you weren't properly informed on the receiver services when upgrading. A free upgrade of equipment means that their is not an up front lease cost for the box (HD non-DVR or Mini Genie Client $99, HDDVR $199, Genie $299) but does not mean any monthly service costs are free. Depending on order may have had one time standard install $99 or just $19.95 delivery. Any costs (up front or monthly) are required to be disclosed by the agent placing the order, not transfer you to another department after the fact. For review, and protection against agent error, the order confirmation emailed that day would break down any new monthly services and if there were any one-time costs so you are aware well before new equipment is installed. That way if the order is not as expected you can contact Directv to discuss it and maybe see about modifying the order or declining it.

If you have an older account your receiver and tv fees: HD $10, DVR $10, $Whole Home DVR $3 (May show as one item $25 shortly before SD options grandfathered) and $7 for each additional tv/client (primary tv free).

If account opened within last couple years: HD included, remaining recievers services together as $15, $7 each tv/client (including primary tv)

(Put both listings as a customer I cannot see account, but difference between old and new is $1-$2 in the end so negligible.)

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I cancelled the service couple of months ago when I posted this message you just replied. I was a Directv fan for years and customer in good standing - nit any longer and not in the future. Have a good day!
Juniper

• 

22.9K Messages

3 years ago

@odgencr

Sorry you had a bad time. From my own experience, Directv is a good company, but as with all companies sometimes they have an agent who does not give out all the info they are supposed to. I feel that with agents coming over from the AT&T side that some misinformation has been a bit more often.

I'm assuming you were replying to Surfhead. If it was to me then to be clear I responded in May, and only posted back into this thread as Surfhead put in a new post. I was giving some guidance on the situation based on my understanding on how Directv services works. And no matter who you get service with, read the order confirmation and you will be protected from agent error, miscommunication, or an agent purposely not doing their job. If an agent doesn't follow the rules, consequences follow, but their actions cannot be controlled as they make their own choices.

You have made your choice. Take care.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

Customer for over 10 years, went to cancel (not in a contract) and got the run around for 20 minutes. Finally said cancel it now please and the day they cancelled I had no access to my online account anymore. Couldn't pay my bill, print statements, remove stored financial info....nothing! Called and they said "that's how we do it now".... I'm sorry, you just sent me an email verifying cancellation that stated I could log on and pay my final bill once received??? How?? Is there something I'm missing??? I told them I had the right to remove my banking info that was stored on my account, and the (Edited per community guidelines) says "you didnt have auto pay"....uhm, okay, your point is??? You can put in payment info without signing up for auto pay dude. Do they seriously think customers don't know they can see that info...I mean when I call to make a payment, they ask if I want to use the payment on file??? This just can't be legal, I have the right to view my online statements and remove personal info one day after cancellation. These guys behavior is just a (Edited per community guidelines) in the making!!

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

Customer for over 10 years, went to cancel (not in a contract) and got the run around for 20 minutes. Finally said cancel it now please and the day they cancelled I had no access to my online account anymore. Couldn't pay my bill, print statements, remove stored financial info....nothing! Called and they said "that's how we do it now".... I'm sorry, you just sent me an email verifying cancellation that stated I could log on and pay my final bill once received??? How?? Is there something I'm missing??? Chatted with AT&T who had zero answers for me and kept making me wait for other departments. I told them I had the right to remove my banking info that was stored on my account, and the idiot says "you didnt have auto pay"....uhm, okay, your point is??? You can put in payment info without signing up for auto pay dude. Do they seriously think customers don't know they can see that info...I mean when I call to make a payment, they ask if I want to use the payment on file??? This just can't be legal, I have the right to view my online statements and remove personal info one day after cancellation. These guys behavior is just a lawsuit in the making!!

Get started...

Ask a new question