Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
papisal2017

Scholar

• 

1 Message

Sun, Jan 1, 2017 2:33 PM

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

I am done with Directv!!! I pay alot of money to have your service and you pull this crap!! I am tired of you putting the consumer in the middle of your fight with the local stations without any compensation for the days that we are without local channels.  Lucky that the Patriots are playing on another channel!!!  My New Years resolution is to DUMP Directv.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Brand User
ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

140.9K Messages

4 years ago

Hi @wimmer

We understand your concern. DIRECTV is committed to bringing you the best TV experience at the most reasonable value. When disputes arise with programmers over their rising prices, our AT&T TV Promise site will keep you up to date with clear and direct information. 

-ATTCare

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

@Shutitup

If you are referring to Chiller from your other post, you will not find it with anyone it is completely gone.

If you are referring to the local channels, like most in this thread, you will not be immune to the situation with another provider. When an agreement between a TV provider and a local affiliate is coming up, they start negotiating to continue carrying the channel. If an agreement is not reached by the time the current one ends, the local affiliate may choose to turn their feed off until a new agreement is reached. Only the local affiliate may turn off the feed as they own the broadcast rights. Directv may not rebroadcast them without their permission. What is common is the local affiliate turning off their feed, especially during a new season of a popular show or during peak sports watching times, to leverage the customer against Directv. If Directv and other TV providers were to keep caving in to the higher costs, where do you think that money will come from? The answer is our (the customer) bill. Rates have gone up enough over the years, I do not want my locals to add on top of that.

For the majority of us, we do not go to a pay TV provider for our locals. Just plug in an OTA antenna to your TV and get the free broadcast. You may even get some locals Directv doesn't have or possibly from a neighboring market.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Official Solution

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

4 years ago

@Ktrose87,

Realize that these disputes eventually affect all service providers, not just DirecTV, so switching providers isn't the cure. It's station
owner greed that's causing this, not DirecTV. Ask yourself why you should pay more to receive stations that broadcast over-the-air for
free? And be sure to also lean on the local station to settle this dispute. Fortunately DirecTV has a good track record for resolving
these disputes before the station is actually dropped.

I'm always dismayed when these disputes arise and take away a local channel at how quick people are to blame DirecTV, Dish Network,
Comcast, etc. It's really the local station owners that folks should be lobbying. They're the ones asking for us to pay more and more
every year to view stations that broadcast on our public airwaves for free. Why should we be held hostage every time a local station owner
wants more of our money? The FCC and Congress have talked about fixing this mess but have, of course, done nothing. The easiest fix would
be to allow service providers like DirecTV to carry an out-of-area station, but current FCC regulations don't allow that.

http://directvpromise.com

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

2 years ago

@Shadowsmom2 wrote:

We have had a message on our local Fox station saying it is unavailable at this time (and it's been there for many weeks).  Our local news has reported that Fox and DirecTV are in a dispute.  Will this dispute be settled soon?  I don't care about the regular programming (other than Last Man Standing - but I can watch this on Hulu).  But football season is coming up and our Seahawks are broadcast on Fox.  Do we need to cancel with DirecTV?

No you do not need to cancel DirecTV as that doesn't solve the problem. All TV providers go through negotiations. Some channels pull their feed when the current agreement comes up to try and leverage customers against the TV provider to raise costs. This has become more common for local affiliates. Why should TV providers, and in turn us customers by way of higher bills, pay more and more for channels that are free over-the-air?

Use a regular antenna to get the free broadcast in the meantime, and possibly other locals DirecTV does not have (like many sub-channels). Though nobody knows when the dispute will be settled, as we cannot predict the future on how long it will take, you can check the current status: https://tvpromise.att.com/

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

a year ago

@Tobieparis wrote:

When will I get my NBC back?

When the local affiliate owner (not NBC itself) returns the feed.

The local wants to increase rates so is trying to leverage us customers to get it. For more info: https://tvpromise.att.com/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I just got Direct TV.  Managed to find NBC and CBS but can't find ABC.  Is it not available with Direct TV?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.4K Messages

5 years ago

I have it in Southern CA.

What is your zip code?

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

I have it in the NJ/NY area
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

5 years ago

@irwingerszberg wrote:
I have it in the NJ/NY area

Are you the original poster here?  In the NJ/NY area, your ABC channel should be WABC on Ch7.  But it depends on exactly where you're located.  Check out www.directv.com/locals

Teacher

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

i live in a rual area so when direct tv came on the scene it was a real game changer but if you cannot strike a deal with nbc then direct tv is taking themselves out of the game! try cutting back on all the stupid tv comercials  get the deal done or im looking for programming elsewere!

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.4K Messages

4 years ago

It's NBC that removed its programs.  How much more do you want to pay for one channel? All providers have the same contracts so it will happen to them also.

lilricky

Former Employee

• 

776 Messages

4 years ago

Unfortunately, the local affiliates make it seem like Directv is turning off their programming, where in actuality its the affiliates that control what is on the channel and want more money from Directv.  The affiliates then tell the consumer to call Directv to "demand" they get their channel back on the air.  Dirty pool, but that's how they operate.  Go to http://directvpromise.com/ for the latest details.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I pay for my local channel and now I don't get it anymore due to your two differences.Please offer a discount or will you get that channel back soon?Please do its part of our contract.Very unhappy customer.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.4K Messages

4 years ago

So what is the call sign of this channel and is it involved in a retransmission dispute, any error messages?

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

It's channel nbc.This is a major channel.We need this channel.Its not fair to paying customers.

Get started...

Ask a new question