Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wed, Jan 25, 2017 1:04 AM

Can't watch local channel sub channels Example channel 2.2

I can get my local channel KTVU channel 2 but I can't get channel 2.2 where ME TV is broadcast. Why do I need to install an outdoor Digital TV antenna just to get these sub channels?

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

3 years ago

Because DTV doesn't carry most sub channels and they need a contract to rebroadcast them the same as the major channels and when they come up for renewal you will lose the major and the sub channels.  DTV would also need a transponder on the spot beam for each one I believe and there are thousands of sub channels.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Well then Directv should start showing channels like MeTV and H&I which shows reruns of Wiseguy. It sucks that I need to use an outdoor antenna just to watch these sub channels.

I also have a beef with Directv over their refusal to show PAC12 fooball games. I missed the entire season of the Oregon Ducks games. I asked PAC12 why and they told me that Directv will not budge on the fee. That sucks to the point I am going to switch back to Comcast which does show PAC12 and local subchannels.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

3 years ago

The PAC12 wants RSN status plus they have already sold most of the rights to other providers and they still want more money then DTV/AT&T wants to pay.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

3 years ago

You cannot get a channel through Directv that Directv does not have in the first place. Remember Directv is just a rebroadcaster, they do not own or have control of the channels. Also, though we as customers do not pay for locals (unless you have an extremly old package from the early days when Directv had to charge for locals), Directv has to pay the local affiliate to carry those locals. So for Directv to be able to provide any new sub-channels, they have to work out an agrement with the local affiliate that covers them on reasonable cost and permission, as well as any changes on Directv's broadcast side to allow more sub-channels.

With local affilates requesting more and more money these days, I would not expect there to be a quick resolution in providing these channels. I would even dare to bet that sub-channels would not be negotiated for in the middle of a current agreement with the local affiliate, but rather when the agreement with the local affiliate comes up so they can negotiate it all at the same time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Because I am in a dead zone. I used to be able to get all 10 channels then they moved over to digital transmitters which allows them to stack the stations and split the power based on TOD. initially I only lost 6 channe s then 2 stations piggybacked on that same transmittet and then I was down to 2. Out of the local channels I get through DTV one has serious signal problems so bad you can't make any sense of what's going on and a 2nd one keeps threatening to no longer accept the payment from ATT. The first has been going on for years and they just haven't fixed it since before Charlie Rose got Me Too'd and I've talked to the CEO of PBS who happens to be a relative and he tells me they know. BFD! I'm not going to pay these riduculous prices and have to constantly be resetting the boxes and having crappy pictures. I pay like $7 a month for hi-def and most channels don't even have hi-def. Just more federal government failures as giveaways to the iindustry.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

Most channels (national, not local) are available in HD, with the majority of those having an SD version as well.

It is $10 for HD. The $7 would be the fee per additional TV/Client on the account.

Since you are in that dead spot for your locals and a main one for you has had an ongoing broadcast issue, plus you are wanting sub-channel not carried, then moving on does seem to be the right choice. Good luck wherever you go from here.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Well, when subchannels were only carrying reruns or unusual free carriage stations (like Me TV), DirecTV could take this approach.  But with the recent auctions of broadcast spectrum, real, network channels (here in Chicago, it's the CW and a PBS station) are going dark as broadcast stations but staying on as subchannels.  I understand DirecTV's approach and their justification; I'll also tell you I don't care one frikkin bit and their local coverage, already inadequate, is now moving toward irrelevant.  For a company supposedly embracing new technologies, I have news: digital subchannels have existed for 10 years and none of this would have come as a surprise to a company that is truly technologically advanced (or even aware).  "Not all networks available in all markets" is suddenly a very big problem.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Comcast seems to cover these sub-channels maybe it's time to de-crud the outside of my house of satellite dishes and go back to cable if DTV refuses to offer the sub-channels.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

@CityguyUSA

That is up to you. The situation with sub-channels has not changed since this thread ended two years ago.

DirecTV's focus right now is the shutdown of the outdated MPEG-2 feeds and making sure all channels are relocated to MPEG-4. Unknown if this will free up satellite bandwidth in the future for sub-channels or not, but would not be a quick change, especially since local affiliates are raising up costs for the currently provided channels.

In the end, go to a pay TV provider for the national channels you cannot get otherwise. Local channels are available for free over-the-air with regular antenna no matter what pay TV provider you have. Unless you live in a dead spot for locals, if you go to pay TV primarily (or solely) for locals, I would reconsider having pay TV in the first place.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

Every subchannel Directv transmits takes up the same frequency bandwidth as a "full" channel, and also uses just as much hardware. there are just too many of these to handle, for example there are over 40 subchannels here in Dfw alone. It's much easier for cable to handle this, and because each cable system is physically separate, the subchannels on one cable system can use the same frequencies as the subchannels on another system .

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Since there's apparently no way to reply to someone that's replied. I'm going to post it here. Leave it to AT&T to screw up a forum. @juniper a point of information. In the '70s we got 11 channels for $8.48 of which we might have watched 1/3, call it 4 channels. Now in 2020 I get 225ish and watch 4 or 5 on any typical day for $110. From what I heard wages today haven't kept pace but for our purpose I'll assume they did that makes a wachable channel today about $22/mo compared to the '70s .$2.50/mo for a watchable channel. Back then they were always adding good channels which were typically the independents from across the country improving the experience. Today they are often removing channels. When we got what thecalledthe cable tier the MTV's and other cable only channels our bills went to $14 a month for 8 more channels. A (Edited per community guidelines) of a deal for chabnels people wanted. Now we get all these xhannels that no one watches but they pay AT&T well because they sell Chinese crapola 24 x 7 and we get told there's no space available for sub-channels. I gaurantee if enough of us disconnect they'll find room even if it means that the christian tier has to be cut back to represent the 20% of the population that still call themselves practicing christians. And the infommercials and the 24 x 7 chachka has to be cut in 1/2 and all those DTV channels that nobody has any idea what they are gone as well. Seems to me there's plenty of room.

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

@CityguyUSA

The Networks package all the channels they own to the TV providers, which in turn package them to us. Because of this, we as customers do not have the al-a-carte option we desire to just have only exactly the channels we use. So we get more variety.

Sub-channels are unique per area. So it is not finding space for another channel or two for all customers, but space for dozens, if not into the hundreds as they are specific per area as they are run by local affiliates.

There is no "Christian tier" of packages. There are a few religious channels provided as public interest, but everybody gets those so you watch or don't watch as you choose. As for shopping networks, that helps TV providers afford the large cost from the networks. If it was for shopping channels paying TV providers for their channel space, or even shopping shows paying individual channels for the time slot, then our bills would be that much higher.

Unless cost of networks comes down, then TV providers must use a billing model to supplement those high costs paid. Not the answer I like, but it is the reality. So from a business and technical standpoint, there is not room for sub-channels at this time.