Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 7:44 PM

Cannot connect to internet using DLINK 2750B - security key not recognized

I have WHDVR, the CCK and a DLINK 2750B DSL router, and cannot get past the security key screen even though the same key (just uppercase and numbers) works fine for my ipad.

I tried the method described elsewhere in this Forum as follows with no success:

Disconnected the CCK coax from the DVR but left the AC connected.  Used a paper clip to reset the CCK.  Checked that the router has DHCP enabled and has no MAC or firewall enabled.  Powered router off for a minute and then powered it back on.  Assured that the network name and password contains no symbols or punctuation other than numbers and letters. Reconnected the coax, then did an inside card door reset of the DVR. When it was all booted up, did:  Menu -> Settings and Help -> Settings -> network setup -> restore defaults -> connect now. Checked the box for my router name and tried to enter the password, but it said it was invalid.  The same password worked on my ipad.

In another attempt, I used the WPS on the router and CCK before reconnecting the coax and doing the DVR reset.  In that case, it didn't even show the screen with the available routers, but instead showed an error screen with:

Network: Coax connected
Internet:  Not connected (13)

Result code;  86-693

I don't know anything about IP addresses, etc..  Is there something I have to change manually in my DLINK router configuration or for the DECA configuration?  If so, could somebody please help me figure out what I have to change exactly.  I can supply more information if somebody tells me what information to supply.

I've been trying to get this to work for over a week now.  Spent an hour and a half on the phone with DIRECTV guy with no success.  Even had a technician come to my house but he didn't even get as far as I have (that is, to the point of entering the security key).  So any and all help would be appreciated.

Responses

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

No, I didn't know you could do that from the directv website.  I'll definitely try playing with that.  That's very helpful. 

Does it detect recording conflicts?

Thanks.

jimmie57

Professor

• 

2K Messages

8 years ago

I do not know but I kinda think that is does not.

It is a pretty simple operation and it is one way communication.

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

8 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by fyaeger 

Does it detect recording conflicts?

the website does not detect conflicts but if you go to the HDDVR's to-do list , you will see any conflicts there.

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

Good to know. It's difficult to know what you can do on the iPad app vs the web app since I can't actually try the iPad app. Not sure if the iPad app detects conflicts, but it does seem to give you more control then the web app. However, I can certainly make good use of the web app to program my 3 hddvrs from the couch. I'll just have to be careful to check each hddvr periodically to look for conflicts. Thanks very much, Jimmie and Peds, for the information.
peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

8 years ago

the iPad app does not detects conflicts either.  

not sure why you decided to give up on try to connect the W-CCK with an unsecured network as a test. This would rule out the security key as being the culprit, which if it would, then we can try to work around that.

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

I would have been willing to try that a few weeks ago when I was trying everything suggested on this forum, but I got really discouraged when all my attempts failed. I truly don't think the password is the problem. Everything points to an ip address problem including what the directv senior tech told me (there are more details in my separate thread).

If the iPad app does not detect conflicts either, then the web app will be good enough for my purposes.

Thanks for the help.
peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

8 years ago

of course your choice.  just note that you will miss a ton of features that are available to internet connected HDDVRs.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Ok I have been a tech for a while now doing installations from mild to wild, 1 box to 16 boxes. With and without Internet.. The wireless cck does not work hooked up to the h34.

The hard wired and wireless cck will not work with the d-link modem/router combo.....
It does not matter how many times you reset the ip or wep or wpa
It does not matter how many times you change your password.
You need a stand alone modem and standalone router!

This is not direct tv's fault, this is the fault of Verizon.... Not wanting to supply their customers with the right modem. They don't tell you what will work best , they tell you of what they want to sell you to rope you into their contract.
Their standalone modem works great if you have a standalone router to go with it....

And anyone with the apple router/. Forget it, PROPRIETARY
dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

8 years ago

Some of what you say is true, but some is not.  In any event you're replying to a eight month old thread.

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

8 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by joeysilverado 

And anyone with the apple router/. Forget it, PROPRIETARY

dcd is spot on!  I have an Airport Extreme (Apple router) and my system of 5 HDDVRs works flawlessly connected to it.  most of the issues are "user error"

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Having this very same issue.  After several calls, I finally got a Verizon representative to listen to me about this issue without telling me to call Direct TV again.  She  informed me that in the manual for the DSL-2750B it states that it is NOT COMPATIBLE with the Direct tv system.  She says you need the only other gateway they have, the 784.  Verizon only has two gateways they give with the service.  Unfortunately, I was sent the one that wasn't compatible.

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

So are you saying that Verizon said you need a DSL-2784 gateway? I can't find any reference to that gateway. What exactly is the number of that gateway if it's not dsl-2784? Did verizon offer to send you that other gateway? It would be really helpful if you could be very specific about whether Verizon actually helped you to fix the compatibility problem and exactly what they did to fix it (e.g. Sent me xxxxxx). If you could give me the number/magic code you used to contact Verizon, that would be a big help too.

Thanks,

Frank Yaeger

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

The rep said that she was ordering it for me from actiontech and it was numbered 784. I am receiving it for free. I got transferred several times over three days to finally receive this answer from a tech, so no, I don't have a magic number. I had to keep asking for supervisors or a new tech. Like I said, it's clearly stated in their manual that the 2750b is simply not compatible. The new gateway is on It's way. When I get it, I will post the exact model number along with if it fixed the issue 100%.
fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks.  It would be great if you shared that information here!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I would like to add, I was able to connect wirelessly to my gateway after using a static DMZ host, but am not able to have the internet speed available for instant play which was working on my original gateway I have had for the last 5 year's. After switching to static I can watch youtube but forget instant play on game of thrones or shows of that nature. I had Verizon before DirecTV. I can RECORD on demand to watch later, though. I recently updated to the new gateway Sunday because of having to restart my old one 5 times a day.

Like I said, I will update you about the new gateway.

Get started...

Ask a new question