Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 7:44 PM

Closed

Cannot connect to internet using DLINK 2750B - security key not recognized

I have WHDVR, the CCK and a DLINK 2750B DSL router, and cannot get past the security key screen even though the same key (just uppercase and numbers) works fine for my ipad.

I tried the method described elsewhere in this Forum as follows with no success:

Disconnected the CCK coax from the DVR but left the AC connected.  Used a paper clip to reset the CCK.  Checked that the router has DHCP enabled and has no MAC or firewall enabled.  Powered router off for a minute and then powered it back on.  Assured that the network name and password contains no symbols or punctuation other than numbers and letters. Reconnected the coax, then did an inside card door reset of the DVR. When it was all booted up, did:  Menu -> Settings and Help -> Settings -> network setup -> restore defaults -> connect now. Checked the box for my router name and tried to enter the password, but it said it was invalid.  The same password worked on my ipad.

In another attempt, I used the WPS on the router and CCK before reconnecting the coax and doing the DVR reset.  In that case, it didn't even show the screen with the available routers, but instead showed an error screen with:

Network: Coax connected
Internet:  Not connected (13)

Result code;  86-693

I don't know anything about IP addresses, etc..  Is there something I have to change manually in my DLINK router configuration or for the DECA configuration?  If so, could somebody please help me figure out what I have to change exactly.  I can supply more information if somebody tells me what information to supply.

I've been trying to get this to work for over a week now.  Spent an hour and a half on the phone with DIRECTV guy with no success.  Even had a technician come to my house but he didn't even get as far as I have (that is, to the point of entering the security key).  So any and all help would be appreciated.

Responses

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

Peds48,

Feel free to respond to my posts. I started this thread and have provided what I think is relevant information with a minimum of rhetoric. I sent my "complaint" directly to directv and I appreciated their attempt to help me, but I don't know enough to evaluate if the solution they gave of replacIng the dlink is really my only choice.

Frank

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Frank,

I am pretty sure peds_48installs was referring to my post when they asked to "drop the rhetoric". I am typically straight to the point in most matters and I'm not known to hold back much. I am of the opinion that your posts have been very insightful and well-researched thus far where as my post may seem to be fairly intolerant.

However, sorry but there is no rhetoric there peds48. This thing is what it is and DirecTV needs to either stand up to the plate or not bother leaving the bench. This is a technical issue that we, the end user, do not have the expertise to solve. I have seen enough of DirecTV's folks post on this forum to know that they are paying attention. I figure a little straight-forward no-holds-barred language just might shake them up enough to do something about the problem, that's all.

And, for the record, I never intended to post the same response to this thread multiple times. For some reason, when I went to post my response it sent me to a blank page "Internet explorer could not open..." numerous times (obviously), when it was apparently posting each time. Sorry about that! Also, peds48 I did start a separate thread on this forum if you would like to respond with some solution I am sure we would appreciate it.

Thanks All!    

jimmie57

Professor

• 

2K Messages

9 years ago

The website does hang quite often when you post and each time you try to get it to move it posts again.

It does it to us all.

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

>I am pretty sure peds_48installs was referring to my post when they asked to "drop the rhetoric".

Yes, that's what I thought too. But I'm still searching for answers and was hoping to get some useful replies to my questions in this thread.

I'm a big fan of Directv, especially WHDVR, but it bothers me that their "marketing" material describes hooking up the CCK as "easy" when it appears that it's far from easy for many of us.

Frank

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

9 years ago

Frank, in a last ditch effort to make this work, why not remove all security from for router (temporarily) and try to connect.  once you remove the security  follow the steps below

try holding the reset button on the back of the CCK-W for 30 seconds.  then on your HDDVR press

MENU ➜ SETTINGS & HELP ➜ SETTINGS ➜ NETWORK SET UP ➜ RESTORE DEFAULTS ➜ CONNECT NOW ➜ GET CONNECTED ➜ WIRELESS.  the receiver will then scan for Wi-Fi networks and should d find yours.  once it finds your SSID, select your network name.  if your network is secured, it will ask you to type in your password.  if successful, you will get a message that says "congratulations, your receiver is connected to the internet"  Note that your SSID and/or password cannot have any spaces and/or special characters

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

I've tried resetting the CCK-W as you suggested with no effect. I'm really not willing to run without security so I don't see the point in trying to disable it temporarily. Given all I've heard, I'm pretty convinced this is an interoptability problem related to the ip address rather than a security key problem.

My WHDVR works beautifully with my 3 HDDVR receivers and that's more important to me than the CCK, so I don't want to risk messing it up.

Given the number of threads here discussing "dropped internet" problems even after you get connected, and what the Directv tech told me about problems he's seen with dropping the playlists, I think I'm going to just call it quits.

My main interest in the CCK was for using the DIRECTV ipad app so I could control all three HDDVRs from the ipad. I'll just have to live with programming each HDDVR by going to the room it's in. Inconvenient, but much less of a hassle then trying to get the CCK to work with WHHDVR.

Perhaps I'll revisit this in 6 months to see if the interoptability problems have been solved.

dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

9 years ago

Not sure what happened but early on the default connection that was to be provided to all Whole Home DVR customers was the hard wired DECA BB adapter.  I'm not sure where all of these WiFi CCK's came from but personally I wouldn't allow one in my system.  The DECA BB adapter is rock solid over long periods.

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

My dsl router is in the kitchen quite a ways from any of my three hddvrs and I don't want to have any wires running from any hddvr to the dsl router.

What exactly is a DECCA BB adapter? What is it hardwired from/to? Does it establish a wireless connection without the need for the cck? Please tell me more about it.

Frank
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.4K Messages

9 years ago

Broadband DECA adapter is a "bridge" between your satellite coax cable (DECA) networking and your home network (ethernet).  As dcd points out, the wireless version can be a pain.  The installers should provide a hard-wired version with a coax connection to one of your SWM splitters and an ethernet cable to your home gateway/router. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

Oh, I see. Not really a viable solution for me, since I don't want a cable running between rooms.
dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

9 years ago

The installers do not run a "cable between rooms", they run a coax signal cable to the vicinity of your router just as though they were installing a Directv receiver there, then the DECA BB attaches to the coax and a jumper connects to the router. 

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. I believe the directv tech offered to do that, but my wife wants a wireless connection.
jimmie57

Professor

• 

2K Messages

9 years ago

I went thru this whole thread and did not see any mention of speed.

What is the speed level of your DSL ?

If it is marginal or slow you will not be happy with it if you get it to connect.

Ask your wife if she would reconsider  ?

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

9 years ago

My DSL is probably on the slow side but good enough for using my iPad from any room. My main interest in getting directv connected to the Internet is so I can use the directv tv app to control my three hddvrs. My wife already thinks I'm crazy for spending all this time on this just to avoid going from room to room to program the hddvrs. I have to say that I started to agree with her a while back. 🙂
jimmie57

Professor

• 

2K Messages

9 years ago

You sound a lot like me, if there is something you know you can do you will not quit with it until it is done.

This does not speak to your original problem, but,

Did you know you can go online with your computer, laptop, etc, call up the Guide, click on a show and the Record Option comes up. You then can schedule it to record on whichever DVR you want to.

http://www.directv.com/entertainment/guide?

Get started...

Ask a new question