Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 7:44 PM

Cannot connect to internet using DLINK 2750B - security key not recognized

I have WHDVR, the CCK and a DLINK 2750B DSL router, and cannot get past the security key screen even though the same key (just uppercase and numbers) works fine for my ipad.

I tried the method described elsewhere in this Forum as follows with no success:

Disconnected the CCK coax from the DVR but left the AC connected.  Used a paper clip to reset the CCK.  Checked that the router has DHCP enabled and has no MAC or firewall enabled.  Powered router off for a minute and then powered it back on.  Assured that the network name and password contains no symbols or punctuation other than numbers and letters. Reconnected the coax, then did an inside card door reset of the DVR. When it was all booted up, did:  Menu -> Settings and Help -> Settings -> network setup -> restore defaults -> connect now. Checked the box for my router name and tried to enter the password, but it said it was invalid.  The same password worked on my ipad.

In another attempt, I used the WPS on the router and CCK before reconnecting the coax and doing the DVR reset.  In that case, it didn't even show the screen with the available routers, but instead showed an error screen with:

Network: Coax connected
Internet:  Not connected (13)

Result code;  86-693

I don't know anything about IP addresses, etc..  Is there something I have to change manually in my DLINK router configuration or for the DECA configuration?  If so, could somebody please help me figure out what I have to change exactly.  I can supply more information if somebody tells me what information to supply.

I've been trying to get this to work for over a week now.  Spent an hour and a half on the phone with DIRECTV guy with no success.  Even had a technician come to my house but he didn't even get as far as I have (that is, to the point of entering the security key).  So any and all help would be appreciated.

Responses

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

8 years ago

does your SSID (network name) have any special characters, spaces?

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

No. I actually typed in my ssid at one point instead of just checking the box, and the ssid was accepted. Then I typed in the keyword and it was not accepted. As far as i can tell,I don't have any special characters in the ssid or key.
dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

8 years ago

You might take a look at your router's configuration.  Most routers can be accessed by your computer by opening a web browser and inserting http://192.168.1.1 in the address box and using the SSID and password.  The SSID (device name) should be in Setup and the password in wireless -> security.  The password type should be WPA or WPA Mixed Mode.

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks, but I've already checked the configuration and it's ok. I set up the ssid and wpa password myself using the wireless settings so I know they're ok.
fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

I'm going to try connecting the cck to my router via Ethernet cable to configure it (I saw another post with the URL for doing that). My problem is I don't know what fields need to be filled in that way. What should I look for/try?

My ipad connects fine using the ssid/password and shows values for the following: ipaddr, subnet, router, DNS. Do I need to configure the CCK with that information?

Any help on configuring the CCK with a direct ethernet connection would be appreciated.

dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

8 years ago

Not sure what your problem is, connecting the W-CCK should be a five minute job.  Are you sure you are entering the password properly using the Directv remote?  Entering numerals for example requires multiple button strokes to by pass the letter entries.

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

Well, yes, it should be a 5-minute job considering I have WPS on my DLINK router.  But no matter what I try, it won't connect.  I'm sure I'm entering the password correctly.  I figured out how to use the remote to enter the letters and numbers in about 30 seconds.  I've tried several passwords with just uppercase letters and numbers. I have no problem connecting to the DLINK with my ipad.  I even connected the CCK to my router via ethernet and checked the values in the configuration screens - everything looked good (well, as far as I could tell given that I don't know much about the CCKs config screens).  But I always seem to end up with the wrong ip address (169. instead of 198.) and "not connected (13)".  From everything I've read, it appears that my router is not sending the ip address to the CCK, but I can't figure out why (neither could the DIRECTV tech or the DIRECTV guy on the phone).  I''ve checked the DLINK routers config screens and it seems to be ok (e.g. DHCP enabled).  I got my DLINK router free from Verizon.  I'm wondering if I should buy another router that knows how to send the ip address. Are other routers smarter?  I've heard that LINKSYS routers are pretty good.  Any advice?

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

At this point, I've tried every suggestion I could find on this board and others, with no success, so I'm officially giving up.  I always get either not connected (13) or security key not accepted (even though the same key is accepted on my ipad).

Obviously, I'm not the only one with this kind of problem  judging by the many posts about this kind of problem.

If I'm doing something wrong, I can't figure out what it is. If DIRECTV is doing something wrong, they don't seem to know how to fix it or even believe that it's their problem despite the number of people reporting it. Oh, well, no cinema connection for me (and apparently many others). 🙂

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Okay DIRECTV folks this is ridiculous!!!!!  I just spent the better part of a day trying to figure this problem out! I have been on the phone with three different tech. support folks (all as nice as they could be, but clueless as to how to fix this problem; with the exception of the one that suggested I contact Verizon, I'll get into that little tidbit here shortly).

The bottom line is this: DirecTV's CCK and Verizon's DLink2750B cannot communicate with each other! Period! Furthermore it is DIRECTV"s responsibility to provide the solution! We can go online and tweak just about any and every setting inside the DLink router that you guys need us to. JUST tell us what the freak to do!!!!!

So when I called Verizon they ASSUMED that the DVR was pre-set for WEP security instead of WPA or WPA2. I spent hour figuring out this was not the case. Verizon had me go into the programming for the router and change the security setting which required that I come up with a new network key of my own. As it turns out the DVR is actually looking for a WPA setting (so I am told by DirecTV tech. support) and when it realizes that you have set your router to WEP, the DVR limits your ability to enter certain characters for the network key (like all lower case letters and some upper case letters).

So, again DIRECTV you guys need to figure this stuff out and let us know what to do. Should anyone from DirecTV decide to respond to this thread please assume the following:

We know how to navigate through the menu!

We know how to reset the DVR and CCK (in fact we have done that so many times by now it is ridiculous!)

We know how to use the FREAKING REMOTE to enter the network key properly!

We know not to use anything but numbers and letters in the network key!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Okay DIRECTV folks this is ridiculous!!!!!  I just spent the better part of a day trying to figure this problem out! I have been on the phone with three different tech. support folks (all as nice as they could be, but clueless as to how to fix this problem; with the exception of the one that suggested I contact Verizon, I'll get into that little tidbit here shortly).

The bottom line is this: DirecTV's CCK and Verizon's DLink2750B cannot communicate with each other! Period! Furthermore it is DIRECTV"s responsibility to provide the solution! We can go online and tweak just about any and every setting inside the DLink router that you guys need us to. JUST tell us what the freak to do!!!!!

So when I called Verizon they ASSUMED that the DVR was pre-set for WEP security instead of WPA or WPA2. I spent hour figuring out this was not the case. Verizon had me go into the programming for the router and change the security setting which required that I come up with a new network key of my own. As it turns out the DVR is actually looking for a WPA setting (so I am told by DirecTV tech. support) and when it realizes that you have set your router to WEP, the DVR limits your ability to enter certain characters for the network key (like all lower case letters and some upper case letters).

So, again DIRECTV you guys need to figure this stuff out and let us know what to do. Should anyone from DirecTV decide to respond to this thread please assume the following:

We know how to reset the DVR and CCK (in fact we have done that so many times by now it is ridiculous!)

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

fyaeger

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

8 years ago

A very knowledgable directv senior technician came to my house. He seemed very qualified, and had seen all kinds of problems like mine. He thinks that the main problem is that the whdvr/cck has interoperability problems with combination modem/routers like, but not limited to the dlink. The two solutions he suggested which he has seen work are (1) have directv install a hard line for the Internet connection or (2) use a modem only and router only (e.g. Linksys) instead of a modem/router combination. Since i don't want (1), i tried to pursue (2). This led to the worst support call I've ever experienced, with verizon. I was on the phone with Verizon for over an hour and even talked to a supervisor, but they absolutely refused to send me a free westell 6100 modem to replace the dlink modem/router doesn't work with whdvr/cck. They were willing to sell it to me, but not give it to me, even though I was willing to send back their more expensive dlink modem/router. They seemed to really have no clue about the whdvr/cck situation and no desire to help in any way.

To my mind, directv is much more interested in fixing this interoperability problem than Verizon. My only option at this point seems to be to buy my own modem and my own router, but i haven't decided if I'm willing to do that.

I'm not sure what the root cause of the interoperability problem and what the companies involved should/could do about it, but it certainly is frustrating.

The senior directv tech gave me his number so he could follow up, but at this point I'm not sure what he can do unless I buy the modem and router as he suggested.

Frank
peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

8 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by rhythmsinc 

Should anyone from DirecTV decide to respond to this thread please assume the following:

nobody from DirecTV will respond to your post.  this is a user to user community with little or no DirectV monitoring....

if you drop the rhetoric and start a fresh post, we might be able to help you.....

Get started...

Ask a new question