Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, May 2, 2017 1:10 AM

Can the direct TV app be installed on a fire stick?

Can the direct TV app be installed on a fire stick?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

3 years ago

Directv (traditional satellite service) app is for smartphone and tablets only.

The new DirectvNOW (completely separate and streaming only service) is compatible with some media streaming devices. Check www.directvnow.com for more info if that is the service you have. Also they have their own forum here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
timbuk2okc

Scholar

• 

348 Messages

Directv app does not work on newest fire tablet.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

3 years ago

No. 

Or do you mean the new DirecTV Now streaming service? That works with the Amazon Fire & Firestick. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

So I have to pay for direct tv now app even though I have direct tv???
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

3 years ago

The DTV Mobile DVR app is only for streaming to mobile devices like phones and tablets.  If you want to stream to TVs then you need DirecTV Now and then you can drop DTV.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

3 years ago

@Broken1371

Those are two different services that do not interact with each other.

Directv: Satellite TV. Has a Directv app which is for smart phones and tablets to watch service on the go. This is for the mobile device only, not a way to get a free additional tv on the service.

DirectvNOW: Internet streaming service. This is what works with media streaming devices (like Firestick).

So the DirectvNOW is a full service all by itself, not an app for Directv service.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I'm about to cancel my Direct TV... I was under the impression by the sale rep that I could stream my satellite Direct TV to only discover I cannot and need to order Direct TV Now. I do not like to be mislead and I wish I would have come to this forum earlier. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

The sale rep was very misleading and now that I have discovered that I cannot use the Direct TV to stream live television and have to purchase Direct TV now... I'm willing to turn the service off... 

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

3 years ago

Not sure what you were told, @justrozelyn, but you can indeed stream many DirecTV satellite channels to your smart phone/tablet using the DirecTV App (not DirecTV Now).  However, the FireStick is not a smart phone or tablet.  DirecTV satellite requires a DVR or Receiver box at that TV. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Literally all of these people are wrong. I have had the Directv App (for Tablets) sideloaded onto my fire tv stick since the first day i got the stick 3 christmas's ago. So yes. You can actively install AND view all Directv content on the fire tv stick via the regular DIRECTV APP 

• 

1 Message

I know this is an old post however could you give me instructions on how to do this?

DontListen2Them

Contributor

1 Message

2 years ago

Literally all of these people are wrong. I have had the Directv App (for Tablets) sideloaded onto my fire tv stick since the first day i got the stick 3 christmas's ago. So yes. You can actively install AND view all Directv content on the fire tv stick via the regular DIRECTV APP

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

2 years ago

The DirecTV app is not supposed to work on Firestick as that avoids the required TV fee. DirecTV (satellite) does not support Firestick. DirectvNOW (internet streaming) supports Firestick.

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

2 years ago

DIRECTV provides mobile apps, but no TV apps. On the other hand DIRECTV NOW porvides TV app for some devices.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I was told the exact same thing. The rep told me directly that I could watch direct tv on my fire stick or I could watch on my mobile device and use airplay to watch on my Apple TV which I can not do. Now it looks like I will have to buy Direct TV Now which I won’t do. I was completely mislead. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T store employees don't work for DTV and can only send new customer orders to DTV so what if any training they get is unknown to us or they are not remembering it, being that DTV Now is an AT&T product they get training on it.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T owns many different providers (Uverse, Directv, DirectvNow, etc). Agents in AT&T stores are employees of AT&T named services only, so not Directv. Yes both Directv (satellite) and DirectvNOW (internet streaming only) are both owned by AT&T, but they are fully separate providers with no interaction.

So DirectvNOW is the service that can fully stream to TV as that is what it is designed for.

Directv is from satellite, so streaming options are secondary perks not intended to replace paying for an authorized TV using satellite.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

How did you get it installed on your fire stick?

Get started...

Ask a new question