Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
E

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Jul 1, 2020 12:03 AM

Black and white picture

I have hooked up my Directv box to a new TV and the picture is black and white.  There is a red, white, and yellow AV cord coming from the Directv box, but on the back of the TV there is only a spot for a red, white, and green cord.  I plugged the yellow cord from the Directv box into the green slot on the TV and I am getting a picture, but it is not color.  Any potential solutions to this problem?

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

a month ago

Composite (3 color) and Component (5 color). Some TV's the ports serve both. If they are not well labeled for their dual purpose, check TV manual.

Provided your DirecTV box is not an outdated MPEG-2/SD-only model that will not receive service soon, and your TV is not 10+ years old to only have old connections, connect by HDMI. Just change DirecTV settings: Display > Preferences >Guide HD Channels to Hide SD Duplicates and Display > Resolutions to the highest your TV supports.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

Thank you for your reply.  I do not have a display button on my Directv remote, and can not figure out how to access the path to adjust the settings. Can you help me with that?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.4K Messages

To get to the display settings, press menu, select settings, select display

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

Menu > Settings > Display > Preferences

Change to Hide SD Duplicates (provided connected by HDMI and you have HD service).

Menu > Settings > Display > Resolutions

Check the highest your TV supports.

• 

5 Messages

(Edited per community guidelines)edest thing - when I press the menu button I don't get settings as a choice.  

After I press the menu button my choices are search for shows, manage autotunes, messages and caller ID, or parent, fav's, and setup.

I've done some searching around those choices and can't find anything with resolutions.

I appreciate your help so far and if you have any other ideas, I'm open to them. 

thanks

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

What model box?

• 

5 Messages

D12-300

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

D12 is the last MPEG-2 non-DVR DirecTV made. That is required to be replaced by their MPEG swap. Just call their official customer support number. Depends on the models of any other boxes you have if they need to be swapped as well or not.

In the meantime in the old style system:

Menu > Parental, Fav's, and Setup > System Setup > Display

But since that is an outdated pre-HD receiver, it only supports up to 480 resolution.

• 

5 Messages

Cool, thanks for your time and knowledge. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

a month ago

Some TVs use the green component input for the yellow composite input and it usually will have a yellow circle around it. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

TVs that use the colored ring only to show the alternate plug, without a written label next to (letter code), are annoying. Makes it difficult for those that are color-blind. At least HDMI doesn't have that issue (for now).

Get started...

Ask a new question